• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My newish crazy putting key

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I've been keeping this one under wraps, but it has really helped my game and I had to share it. I believe that most swing or putting keys only last about a round or two rounds, but I have a half dozen good ones with this one. I have tried to explain it to my playing partners, but they look at me like I am nuts.

Firstly, when I am reading the putt, I am looking for the apex of the break. Once I get that, I imagine a path about as wide as the hole tracking from my ball to the hole. Almost like something you would see on the Golf Channel. Nothing groundbreaking there.

From there I align myself and my putter at the apex by using a spot on the green a foot or two in front of my ball. The crazy part is I look at the spot while I putt. I am not looking at the ball, but if I look "softly" at the spot, I can see both the ball and the hole out my peripheral vision.

I am not sure how I arrived at doing this, it just happened. My putting has improved to the point where I have made 17 birdies and an eagle in my last 6 rounds. My touch has been great and my first putts usually end up just past the hole (if not in).

Had to share.

SV

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
That's pretty sweet man, ive tried stuff similar to that, the only thing that works better for ME than staring right down at the back dimple of the ball and keeping my head down well after ive struck it is looking at the hole for me. (the "quiet eye" thing).

But man, who the hell cares when your draining putts right!:D

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Putting to a spot. Dude thats how I learned to putt:) Still do on one's "in the leather".

Sweet

bassman1308

old guy
Jan 24, 2007
Vampire; Thats what i've been doing the last 3 weeks after reading a article about eye alignment. Been working great, so far. If i line up a putt from behind the ball ( looking at it straight on with both eyes) the line sometimes looks completely different once i get in position to putt. This makes it impossible to putt with confidence. Now,I just read the line, pick a spot close to my ball, line up my putter to that spot, trust it and putt it. I think its helped my lag putts also as i can focus on speed more instead of worrying about my alignment. I never realized how reading the putt from behind the ball could be so different then what it looks like once you are over it and ready to putt. If anyone wants , i can post the web site that explains all this.

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
oddly enough, my putting has improved thanks to Tiger Wood 08 on the xbox! lol

I used to do spot putting, but this year I tried something different: I like to visualize the path based on the pace of my stroke.

Since there are dozens of paths that the ball can take to the hole on particular putt, I found that you don't necessarily have to be perfectly aligned to the hole each time. As long as you are hitting towards the hole, regardless of how off you are in your aim, you can sink the put if you have the correct pace (for that aim).

So I just try to aim at what I think is a good direction (doesn't have to be the perfect one), and then just think about how much power I need to apply to get the ball rolling on that path. A couple of practice strokes to feel that pace and then I address the ball. At this point, the only thought in my mind is to focus on hitting the ball on the sweet spot.

The majority of the time, if I hit the sweet spot on the blade, the putt falls.

But at the end of the day, what ever works for each person...as long as the ball drops in :)

-DVS

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.