• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My "Playing Partner" is killing me

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
As you guys know I've been playing a lot with my boss. He jokingly refers to me as his new "golf buddy" now. We have a good time and I don't mind the guy. He's a tough character and I respect his no BS mentality.

So he calls me this evening and no work scheduled tomorrow. He wants to go down and play at this course Valley Country Club. It's private and hosts the RI Amatuer. He says he's joining and I can play for free, which sounded fishy. I checked online and it costs $60 for a guest to play.

Now what should I do? $60 for a round is a lot for me. I can play at Triggs, which is actually longer and in awesome shape right now, for $22 as a resident. I hate to blow the cost of nearly 3 rounds on one, especially since "there is no work" tomorrow, meaning I'll have a good $100 less this week.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
If he invited you to play at his club and told you it would be free, that means he's picking up the tab. You 'owe him one' and can reciprocate by taking him out to your course sometime in the future.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
If he invited you to play at his club and told you it would be free, that means he's picking up the tab. You 'owe him one' and can reciprocate by taking him out to your course sometime in the future.

So your actually making 40$:D

I'd believe the same thing, that he's joining and would pick up that tab for you. It's the same kinda thing at my dad's club, theres a 40$ charge to bring a guest, but its the MEMBER that pays that to bring the guest.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
So your actually making 40$:D

I'd believe the same thing, that he's joining and would pick up that tab for you. It's the same kinda thing at my dad's club, theres a 40$ charge to bring a guest, but its the MEMBER that pays that to bring the guest.
Yeah, and I'm assuming that they don't have a cashier saying "Mr. Boss, can I please have $60?" The guest fee probably gets added to his monthly bill.

Ezra should definitely offer to buy drinks after the round though.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
OK. I see. So there is no clubhouse like at public courses where I go pay. He'll probably deduct it straight out of my pay. :laugh:

Actually, all joking aside, this is not a guy I want to start "oweing favors" to.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
no. 1 Does he know you post on ST?

no. 2 maybe he wants to have sex with you? I bet you didn't think of that!

no. 3 maybe he just wants to golf with you because he likes you? I doubt it!

I'd go, a little extra sex couldn't hurt, maybe at first.

:laugh::laugh:

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Hey Ez .. wasn't this the guy that stiffed the green fees the last time you played .. he told you everything was sorted or something like that ? .... I'd bring the 60 notes with you ...

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Hey Ez .. wasn't this the guy that stiffed the green fees the last time you played .. he told you everything was sorted or something like that ? .... I'd bring the 60 notes with you ...

Ummm yeah. You got a point there.
icon10.gif

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
That was the first thing that came to my mind. :)

Although if it is a private club and the member tells me it is taken care, or more specifically in this case being "free", that is between him and the club at that point. Although I would be buying the drinks, and reciprocating at a different course later.

Realize though, they may or may not apply drinks to his monthly food minimum. In which case I would let him sign for them but insist that he take cash for the bill. Works out nicely for him, works out nicely for you. So may be worth taking a little cash along.

no. 2 maybe he wants to have sex with you? I bet you didn't think of that!

I'd go, a little extra sex couldn't hurt, maybe at first.
.... and if he tells you that you misunderstood and the tee time is at 10pm and not am, may be time to find a new job or a good lawyer.:laugh:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I see this kind of thing all the time. You'll be playing/eating/drinking on his number. He'll be billed at the end of the month. They typically don't collect greens fees at private clubs, semi-private is another story

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
first ? is this the guy that told you that everything was set awhile back then laughed when he found out you hadn`t payed.(or maybe that was someone else and not you ez.memory is not what it used to be.)

if it is i might be a little skeptical.

it will be a tuff call.

do you tick off your boss or short your self (maybe).i don`t envy your prdicament.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
All is well. He joined, we played, he said it was on him and I "owe" him one. Let's just hope it's not disposing of a Cadillac with a body in the trunk.
icon10.gif

I was expecting great things since this course is "private" but not so. I kept agreeing when he says "it's a beautiful course". The 3 public ones I play most blow it out of the water, not even close. This couse was relatively short, we played blues and I still had wedge into most par 4's. The greens had huge fringes and were the smallest I've ever seen. It's a pretty tight course as well, fairways are very narrow. I didn't care for it much at all and really would rather play one of the public ones regardless of price. I'd actually play Triggs at $22 over the private one if it was like $15. It cost $50 on a weekday and $60 on a weekend with an $18 cart fee. He always uses a cart and even more so now since he is charged 30 carts anyway.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If you end up with the Caddy full of bodies, I'll dump 'em, as long as I get to keep the car.

Has to be an 04 or newer though, with less than 40k miles. I don't risk life in prison for just anything.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you end up with the Caddy full of bodies, I'll dump 'em, as long as I get to keep the car.

Has to be an 04 or newer though, with less than 40k miles. I don't risk life in prison for just anything.

I'll meet you at the border. :laugh:

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
he's a good guy from my point of view and i enjoy playing w/ him, but because ez works w/ him, it's a different story...

how much was the membership do you know?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online