• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My putter better work good in Kentucky or....

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'll be replacing it. I haven't played a round with it and was hitting some on the livingroom carpet this weekend and they felt terrible. It felt way too light but at the store I was drilling one 10 footer after another. Before this I had a Odyssey "anser" style putter I did well with but finally bought the 2-ball. Can't wait for Saturday (when we leave)...!!!! :laugh:

All you SC fans tell me what are the advantages to the Studio Style 1, 1.5, 2 etc. Visually I like the 1.5 best. The Odyssey Black series #1 looks sweet too.

Might keep the 2-ball and get one of these two and just take turns with them.....

I've got to putt better this year!!! Is the Ping Redwood Anser, SC Studio Style and Odyssey black series "heavier" then the 2-ball? Forgot to ask that...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I had a White Steel #1 before I picked up the SC Studio Style Newport 2. Both are 34" in length but the SC definitely had a heavier head. That's one of the things I like most about it but the guy I bought it off of was selling it because it was too heavy for him. To each their own, right?

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
The only Scotty I ever had a slight bit of success with was a Newport Beach, the head weight was 350 grams at a length of 33.25". I liked the weight, but was not crazy about the feel of it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I hit that Redwood today and liked it a lot. That's a sweet putter. Never really cared for the Odyssey's and no mallets in general, regardless of how many balls. :laugh: Might be good for alignment on 3footers but suck for distance control, which is more important for me. If I start missing 3 footers the putter gets tossed into the nearest body of water and I'll use my SW bladed. lol.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I hit that Redwood today and liked it a lot. That's a sweet putter. Never really cared for the Odyssey's and no mallets in general, regardless of how many balls. :laugh: Might be good for alignment on 3footers but suck for distance control, which is more important for me. If I start missing 3 footers the putter gets tossed into the nearest body of water and I'll use my SW bladed. lol.

You should really use your PW or 9i as the SW has a more rounded leading edge. I speak from experience as I ho'd my WS#1 before I got the SC back from the custom shop. (I played one round without a putter)

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
Chemboy, how is the feel on the studio style putters? I just ordered one and I haven't putt with one of them before.And WBL, don't get a scotty, if you get one I'll have to smack mine on the sidewalk until it looks like the bottom of your rapture.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You should really use your PW or 9i as the SW has a more rounded leading edge. I speak from experience as I ho'd my WS#1 before I got the SC back from the custom shop. (I played one round without a putter)

Lol. If you had any idea how many 3footers I make with my GW blade. I get cocky and take just my wedge over to chip, planning to put it inside a foot and leave it to 3.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Lol. If you had any idea how many 3footers I make with my GW blade. I get cocky and take just my wedge over to chip, planning to put it inside a foot and leave it to 3.

Nice! I find myself doing that from time to time as well. However, that is very different from lining up and smacking a 20 footer.:idhitit:

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Chemboy, how is the feel on the studio style putters? I just ordered one and I haven't putt with one of them before.And WBL, don't get a scotty, if you get one I'll have to smack mine on the sidewalk until it looks like the bottom of your rapture.

Well, it's more firm than the White Hot and softer than the White Steel. Does that help? :laugh:

Like the WS though, you know when you miss the sweet spot.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I’ve been doing some research and even e-mailed odyssey to find out what the head weight of the 2 ball is and the White Steel and KG is 345g head D7 swing weight at 35” and the regular white hot 2 ball is a 335g head. I stopped by Golf Galaxy on Fri to test the 2 ball out one more time before I bought one and the XG felt the best I’m getting one in a week or two. The SC’s are usually 335G@ 35” 340G@ 34” 350G@ 33”

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I'll be replacing it. I haven't played a round with it and was hitting some on the livingroom carpet this weekend and they felt terrible. It felt way too light but at the store I was drilling one 10 footer after another. Before this I had a Odyssey "anser" style putter I did well with but finally bought the 2-ball. Can't wait for Saturday (when we leave)...!!!! :laugh:

All you SC fans tell me what are the advantages to the Studio Style 1, 1.5, 2 etc. Visually I like the 1.5 best. The Odyssey Black series #1 looks sweet too.

Might keep the 2-ball and get one of these two and just take turns with them.....

I've got to putt better this year!!! Is the Ping Redwood Anser, SC Studio Style and Odyssey black series "heavier" then the 2-ball? Forgot to ask that...

2-Balls are too light. I do not know the exact headweight, but everyone I have picked up just feels too light.

As far as the Studio Style's go. Newport and Newport 1.5 are similar head designs that are more rounded than the Newport 2 and 2.5. Perfromance wise, not much performance difference between the two different head styles. The difference between the 1 and 1.5 and 2 and 2.5 is the neck style. The 1 and 2 have the full offset plumbers neck where as the 1.5 and 2.5 have a blended mid offset neck. Neck style should be determined by your ability to close the face. If you find yourself leaving putts off to the right more often than not, a plumbers neck may give you a fraction of a second more time to close down the club face and get the putt on line. If your misses are more to the left, the mid offset of the 1.5 and 2.5 may be more your style as you may be closing the club face a fraction of a second to soon. Best bet is try try'em all and see what works for you.

I have not putted with the Redwood yet, but the Odyssey Black series are fine putters. The back portion of the clubhead is a tungsten weight which gives it more feel (IMHO). They do not feel as light as the 2-balls, and roll the rock really nice. They are the best putters in the Odyssey line up right now.

Some other putters to consider are the Guerin Rife series, Yes!, and Heavy Putter. I have had good luck with all 3 brands when demoing them. I initially did not like the Yes! products, but I fell in love with Carolyne at the show and could not miss with her. I finally received my Carolyne a few weeks ago direct from the factory at the show "personal use" price that was insanely cheap. She is getting really close to getting into the bag.

The putter that surprised me the most was the Heavy Putter. I initially thought that it was kind of gimmicky, but I drained a bunch of putts with it at the show and a few weeks later when the rep was at the local GS. I got one on eBay several weeks ago and have been putting lights out with it. Inside 20 feet this thing is deadly, but on longer putts I have found it harder to get my swing feel, but I am still putting lights out even without the feel on the long ones. Its going to be a war to see who stays in the bag more often between my sweet Carolyne and the Heavy Putter. Both are rolling the ball really well for me.

Go try some out, WBL. Sometimes the one you would never even think of will end up being the right one for you. Just look at Rock and that cattle brander he picked up. Mr IamneverputtingwithanythingbutmyOdyssey test putted with that ugly thing and has not looked back.:D

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
And WBL, don't get a scotty, if you get one I'll have to smack mine on the sidewalk until it looks like the bottom of your rapture.

kow_ciller

Bottom of my Rapture is like brand new!! :laugh:

wbl, how did you do in english class?? because i think its "work well" not "work good"...

footballking732

Gee, I better check the articles I've had published.... :D

http://www.gearsolutionsonline.com/articles/pdf/twindisc0506.pdf

http://tptc.iit.edu/Center/Symposium/13.09.04 Final Speaker Line-up.pdf

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The Two Ball seemed too light for me, and it was the putter I expected to buy up until first trying it out.

If you like the looks and alignment it may be worth trying out some lead tape either on the clubhead or under the grip. My old putter started to feel to light. Spent a long time to get the feel right testing on the back of the clubhead, and eventually with tape under the grip, then I damaged the thing. They also have the lead powder if you find you like it more towards the club head, but you probably already knew that.

It took a little work but I had that thing feeling perfect after a couple weeks and a couple grips later. Much cheaper spending $10-12 on a couple grips and lead tape. Initially I just wrapped lead tape over the top of the grip, tested it out, took it on the course, and when I got it to my liking weight wise, I just ripped off the grip and put an equal amount of tape up and down the shaft. After playing, I decided it felt a little difference balance wise up and down the shaft, so I tore off the grip and removed some toward the bottom and doubled it up at the top and replaced the grip. Made the grip slightly fatter at the top, but was actually kind of nice. Then about a month later was when I ruined the putter

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I haven't yet given the 2-ball a fair chance but I want to be ready in case it's not what I'm looking for. I'll probably putt okay, not a bad part of my game, but want to make it one of the best parts of my game. Thanks for the help. Looks like (if necessary after Kentucky) a trip to the store to try some of these would be needed.... :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.