• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Rant for the day!

Dewey_1011

Apr 19, 2007
Sorry but I have to get this off my chest. Me and a buddy are playing today and moving along at a pretty good pace. We get to the turn and tee off on 10 there is a huge sign that says "Do not Start on 10 if players are on 9 tee box, well there was a group of 4 behind us all round and they were coming up the fairway on 9 behind us because we ran into the club to get a soda real quick well we tee of and then here comes this guy onto the box right behind us and he is a single and jumps in between the foursome. My buddy is getting ready to hit his shot and we here the other guy hit and his ball rolls up about 10 yards behind us and my buddy turns around and glares at him. We finish the hole and almost as soon as we walk off the green he hits. The very next hole is a par 5 pretty short and very reachable I am standing over a putt and all of the sudden a ball rolls onto the green, I turn around and see the guys so I walk over grab his ball and throw it back up the fairway. Well the guy didn't come up there until after we tee'd off on the next hole and from then on in he didn't push us. Was what I did wrong? I mean the guy was just way out of place and the only reason we didn't let him play through anyway was because he jumped in front of that foursome. Sorry about the rant and long post.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
You didn't do anything wrong. You moved the ball to let him know he should back off, and he shouldn't have gone off as a single with foursomes out there anyway. Unless, of course, the starter told him to, then it's the starters fault.

OP
Dewey_1011

Dewey_1011

Apr 19, 2007
that's just it Jeff I am a member at a private country club we don't have a starter everyone thats a member knows that's the rule. We get a newsletter every month and in that newsletter in bold print is "DO NOT START ON 10 WITH GOLFERS ON 9!" My god why are people so dumb?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My god why are people so dumb?

I would rather run into the dummies on the golf course than the ones I encounter every day on the road. Just trying to get to the golf course puts me in a bad mood. :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yes, Dewey, you did do something wrong...you didn't take a 5 iron and hit the ball into the nearest woods/lake.

You were just too freakin' nice! ;)

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Lol, I remember a very similar thing happening some years ago when I was out caddying. Now the group I was with were slow, but this guy who was formally a member of our club, but now lives in London hit a short iron approach onto the 11th green up amongst where we were standing, and indeed just as one guy was over a putt. This same guy had to be prevented from marching back and decking the guy that had hit. By God, was he angry !!??

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
One more to say you were likely to nice.

You did nothing wrong. Picking up the ball, throwing it, stepping on it, or putting it up a tee are about as nice as you can be. A message need to be sent and you did it as professionally as you could under the circumstances.

The guy should be happy he ran into a true gentleman, as opposed to one of the many that may wrap a driver over his head after more than one incident. Actually if he did not even wave, apologize or acknowledge his mistake after the first, he should be fortunate to ever see his ball again after the first instance. People occasionally make mistakes, happens to me alot and I have certainly hit close to people on rare occasions when I had a brain fart. An apology and not doing it again goes a long way. If that is to much trouble, they should be happy they didn't do it to the wrong person and end up in the Emergency room.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
"DO NOT START ON 10 WITH GOLFERS ON 9!" My god why are people so dumb?
No IQ test is required to participate in this game. In fact... very little common sense is required to participate in this game. In fact... that's probably why I'm so well qualified.......

You handled yourself as well as could be expected. Anytime you're around the general public, you'll run into those who make you wonder how they ever made it this far in life. You hope, desparately, the rest of the sperm died and there are no others from that gene pool. But, we have to make the best of our experiences with these folks and not allow ourselves to stoop to the same gutter level. Again... You did okay. I'll take you and your buddy for my golf partners any day!!!!!

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Wow, am I on the other end of the spectrum here....

Let me see if I am reading this right. So you are a twosome, you have nobody ahead of you and you have a single hitting into you, not once, but twice, and STILL you won't let him through??? And the ONLY reason you aren't letting him through is because a SIGN says not to jump off the 10th tee?

I have no idea why you wouldn't just let him through unless you thought he'd be holding you up, which really doesn't seem the case.

Just let the guy through the FIRST time he catches you when you have nobody ahead of you.

OP
Dewey_1011

Dewey_1011

Apr 19, 2007
Wow, am I on the other end of the spectrum here....

Let me see if I am reading this right. So you are a twosome, you have nobody ahead of you and you have a single hitting into you, not once, but twice, and STILL you won't let him through??? And the ONLY reason you aren't letting him through is because a SIGN says not to jump off the 10th tee?

I have no idea why you wouldn't just let him through unless you thought he'd be holding you up, which really doesn't seem the case.

Just let the guy through the FIRST time he catches you when you have nobody ahead of you.

So you think that I should watch somebody break the rules of the club and then let him through like it's ok to do that,SORRY I DON'T THINK SO. If I let that guy go through then he will think it's ok to do it all the time and that b#llshit! I play by the rules and so should he.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
With nobody ahead of your twosome, and obviously a fast-playing single trying to get through and trying NOT TO INCONVENIENCE the foursome (that he jumped in front of) behind him, I just can't see ANY reason (besides some posted, unenforced sign) why you wouldn't just let him through. To me, this is inconceivable.

THIS is why this country has a problem with slow play. Folks just won't let faster players play through when there are open holes ahead of them.

It sounds like you just wanted to play "sheriff" and impose your will upon this guy because you could.

This whole situation is entirely different if your twosome is waiting every hole for the group in front of you, but this doesn't seem the case.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Don't want in the middle of an argument, but... will just play 'Devil's advocate'...

I did not fault the two for not allowing the single through. I will stand by that reasoning. Not being there, it is difficult to know all the conditions that were included in this contentious issue. But...

The poster mentioned they were staying ahead of the 4 behind... the 4 behind had been following them the entire front 9... and that they had stopped to grad quick drinks at the turn. As they reached the tee, the 4 were in the fairway on 9. They tee'd off and headed down the fairway in order to continue their pace of play and keep comfortable spacing between themselves and the group behind. Everything is moving as it should.

A single tee's off on 10, hitting into them. This single is not only blatantly ignoring posted local rules, he is endangering the two by hitting in their direction. The two have a couple of options. They can proceed, as they have been, ignoring the single who is out of order. Or, they can wait and let the single pass through.

Waiting for the single to pass through allows the 4 following them to close the gap. Now, to accomodate the out-of-line single, the 4 behind have to wait. Now, tho accomodate the out-of-line single, 6... following the local rules... are inconvenienced. The two do not know the single. How quickly will he play? I have seen many singles play slower than 2 or 4. The two could well allow this single through and then have to wait on every shot while he lines himself up, takes a dozen practice swings, and then hits it off into the woods.

Again, not being there, I still must side with the two who attempted to continue moving in accordance with the posted local rule. The single has zero standing and should either wait until there is, obviously, no turning players ahead on 10 that will be interfered with. Or... start on #1 as the sign suggests.

🔥 Latest posts