• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My reflections on the 138th Open Championship

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Another great Open gets written into the annals of history, the Turberry venue providing a magnificent course in immaculate conditions offering perfect terrain to watch the world's best battle it out in classic links conditions. The golf played over the final day typifies links golf, with the ground hard and fiery and the wind throwing up a hostile defense. Players struggled to cope, especially as the pressure was applied on the final nine holes, a cauldron of adrenaline and nerves. Was there anyone NOT wanting to see Watson hole that 6 footer on the last to win?

It was not a bomb and gouge event. It required a lot of thought coupled with skill. Finding the fairway was a must. Watching players hitting 3 iron off the tee and a 4 iron second shot (Cink’s clubs on the first play-off hole) is a joy to watch. The requirement to manufacture shots round the green was intriguing. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed watching these guys, as a links player, knowing just how tough it was. Here are my reflections:

• Watson was only magnificent. He was a mere 1,500-1 before the week started and he contented until the final putt on the 72 hole. He is a total gentleman and exactly what this Open needed.
  • Was he unlucky on the 72 hole? On his approach on I did feel that he was playing for the bank on the right on 18 and pulled it a fraction. Allis (commentator) made that call when he struck the shot. It went at the pin, only to see the ball unluckily roll down the bank. 5 yards right and the bank would have held that up. I am so gutted that he didn't make 4 to win. We would have witnessed a record that I think will never be broken again. The play-off was an evil conclusion to an otherwise heroic effort. The was huge deflation after his putt on the 72 hole did not go in.
  • I hope Turnberry ups its prominence on the Open rota. I would like to watch a major there every year!
  • There is always an element of luck involved in links golf, good and bounces, inconsistent lies, how a ball settles in a bunker, what side of the hole you end up on, how much the wind gusts standing over a 10 ft putt. We saw a few examples throughout the week but especially on the last day.
  • It's always the same at a windy hard and fast Open. Several players contend and then fall away as the pressure intensifies. It almost felt as though the winner was the one who made the least mistakes rather than someone who had a run on the back nine to win it. We had Westwood, Wood, Watson, Goggins, Goosen as well as Cink all contending and everyone started dropping shots like mad down the stretch.
  • I thought Westwood was terribly unlucky. He hit a good tee shot on 15 and ended up in dead zone in the bunker. He hit a great putt on 16 and 17, not sure how both managed to miss. And I think he HAD to go for his putt on 18 for the birdie, assuming that Watson was going to make 4. Only hindsight would criticize his decision to try and make 3 on 18.
  • I thought Cink had blown it, he missed putts on 16 and 17 and I really thought his campaign had finished. When he holed the putt on 18 I still thought he was at least 1 short. He was never ahead in the championship, yet still managed to win, how does that happen, some sort of snatch and grab? When he got into position he show true champion status, he played the 4 hole playoff like an exhibition match. His shot into 18 second time round was stunning, but with a 4 shot cushion, it made it slightly easier. He is a great golfer and deserved to win a major at some point, but I think he will classify this one a tad lucky.

Roll on St. Andrews in 2010!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Great post, IG! The things you said are the reasons that true links golf (the kind I'll never find here) fascinates me, and makes me envious of you guys on the other side of the pond.

🔥 Latest posts