• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Scotty Cameron putter...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This coming from a guy with a "Bettinardi"? :laugh: (Although, it doesn't say Bettinardi on the Itrax does it....:D)

Nope, but I woulda bought it even if it did. Like I said, it sinks putts. It doesn't look good in my bag, or reek of "Look at me, I have a SC". It sinks putts.

I'm not as lost about the custom putters as I am with people buying random SC putters BECAUSE they are SC putters. And the vast majority of those that do buy them because "they look soooo sweet". That's complete bogus.

You're SLighter, at least you had a plan. These guys that pick up Cameron's because they look like a good deal or could be sent into the Cameron shop for a shining up makes ZERO sense from a golf standpoint. None.

"Dude, you're Laguna 2.5 looks sooo sweet with that Lime paint. It totally goes with your shoes. What did you have on 14, an 8 with 4 putts?"

Give me a f*cking break.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Nope, but I woulda bought it even if it did. Like I said, it sinks putts. It doesn't look good in my bag, or reek of "Look at me, I have a SC". It sinks putts.

I'm not as lost about the custom putters as I am with people buying random SC putters BECAUSE they are SC putters. And the vast majority of those that do buy them because "they look soooo sweet". That's complete bogus.

You're SLighter, at least you had a plan. These guys that pick up Cameron's because they look like a good deal or could be sent into the Cameron shop for a shining up makes ZERO sense from a golf standpoint. None.

"Dude, you're Laguna 2.5 looks sooo sweet with that Lime paint. It totally goes with your shoes. What did you have on 14, an 8 with 4 putts?"

Give me a f*cking break.

R35

LOL - Lime Laguna 2.5 :) Nice

Wirehair PMed me about a Santa Fe that was on TCC for $125. I gave it a thought, just to have one refinished, since to my eye they are the most gorgeous putter ever made. I would never putt with it tho, so I couldn't justify just "having" one.

Nobody even tried my Slighter when we were down in FL come to think of it. I thought about sending it in for a refinish (can you imagine that after 1 season) but will just keep playing it until it rusts :)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States

Give me a f*cking break.

R35

Now that was funny, true but funny.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
LOL - Lime Laguna 2.5 :) Nice

Wirehair PMed me about a Santa Fe that was on TCC for $125. I gave it a thought, just to have one refinished, since to my eye they are the most gorgeous putter ever made. I would never putt with it tho, so I couldn't justify just "having" one.

Nobody even tried my Slighter when we were down in FL come to think of it. I thought about sending it in for a refinish (can you imagine that after 1 season) but will just keep playing it until it rusts :)

See, owning SC putters as a "peice of art" is your own thing. While I may not understand it, i can respect it. Why you'd want to own a golf club for looks is beyond me. It's like owning a stainless steel lawn mower - "just cuz".

The thing that gets me is that people equate price of a putter to how good it is. The biggest and most important part of your game is the flatstick. So, wouldn't you want the most important club in your bag to be something that works and just doesn't look good? Yes, confidence is inspired by the wantoness to actually use the putter. Not many guys wanna look down at an old Wilson blade that should be at the mini putt.

But those old bastards that play those old Wilsons are usually the guys that know how to weild that short stick. This is precisely my point. Get a putter that works, not because it costs $300. Whether or not you can afford it is irrelevant.

Edit: Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk here or judge anyone. I could give a rat's anus (lime green anus, at that!:D) if you play a SC or anything else. I think what frustrates me so much is how much people view SC's as the be-all, end-all. If you want your game to stuggle at the mercy of your putter just to have that crown in your bag and that "cool" headcover, then so be it. It's your perogative.

R35

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I think SC's are like Titleist balls. Guys get them just because they think you HAVE to have one if you are serious about the game. Just because something is the most expensive doesn't mean it's the best. I've always thought Scotty's were overpriced, and you ca get something just as good for less money. I have a teardrop TD select 41 and I've used it next to a Scotty with the same style and specs, and I honestly prefer the Teardrop.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yes, its just another tool to get the job done, but bought for all the wrong reasons in mnay cases, the booutique market continues to florish though, and he is at the top of it.

I gave up on bladed heel/toe putters, for the foregiveness of a half mallet, increased MOI and quite simply, I hole more putts and I bet I hit more putts per week than anyone in here (30 mins every night on the carpet)

Tiger has a lot to answer for, many if not most players in clubs should seek a more forgiving putter than he uses, but as its putting its entirely a personal thing

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I think Tiger is defiitely one of the reasons Scotty's are so popular, but not the only reason. In Australia it's an elitist thing too. Everybody thinks that as soon as you get down to single figures you need a Scotty in the bag, whether they can putt well with them or not. It's a bit like ProV1X balls, most of the guys who use them don't have the swingspeed to get the benefits from them that the pro's get but persist with them because they think they are obliged to. Surprisingly over here the Nike One Platinum is not really used by anyone, they just all line up for the ProV's at full price.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Nobody even tried my Slighter when we were down in FL come to think of it.
I figured if a 7 capper like yourself couldn't putt with it, what chance did a hacker like me have...:laugh:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I figured if a 7 capper like yourself couldn't putt with it, what chance did a hacker like me have...:laugh:

LOL - I actually putted WELL. You should see my normal stroke ;)

Maybe I should get one of those wooden putters ;)

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005

AHA! A falsehood has been spoken - I rolled a few with your Slighter on Sunday. It was OK, as expected, but not "my putter", heavy sticks don't work for me, and it didn't match my shoes & underwear.:laugh:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wirehair told me that Scotty told him he'd get better flow that way :D

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
So now you guys are double teaming me, is that it?

I don't know about flow, sounds reasonable, but it will allow for better ball movement.:)

🔥 Latest posts