• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MY site

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Hey, I just created this sight a whiel back, it's a for GFs dad/bros business. I need some feedback on it. Also does anyone know how i can get hits on search engines. I'm having some issues with that.

www.goodoldtrucks.com.

Thanks

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I know almost nothing about this but I did notice the page is very big. Had to scroll back and forth to read the content.

My dad had an old international you guys would have loved. I think it was a 62 or 63.

OP
MAHALLEDAY

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
If you resalution (sp?) is lower than what the site was made at, you's have to scroll sideways. If i knew how to fix that i would. I'm learning as I go.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Good looking site. May I offer some suggestions?

What is up with the "Click anywhere to continue" page? That is a needless extra step for the potential visitor to go through to get what they want. Sounds picky, but is HUGE in the scheme of making the user's experience as easy as possible.

You MUST be sensitive to the user's computer preferences. The average user will have display settings of 800x600-- some will have no choice but to use even lower than that. YOU MUST ACCOMODATE THEM, or they will go else where. You can use scripting to test each user's settings, or you can write the page for 640 x 480 and leave it at that. (An easy workaround is to make a cenetered viewable area of 640x480 and keep your content there. Leave the rest of the page blank or textured. This makes the site view correctly for most everyone, and makes it look professional. Look here for an example.)

I love the design of the site. It is balanced and doesn't overdo things. Kudos amigo...

OP
MAHALLEDAY

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
You are a genious crowe I think I'll make the lay change. Hopefuly the guy I am making this for lieks it he can be picky for no good reason. I will also tlk to him about the first page he loves it but I'm sure i can convice him to get rid of it.

Now some questiosn for you.
1) The feebakc page likes ass. I learn how do the stuff as I go with this site so I am at the mercy of the program i use to make the site, which unitl i learn to use golive will be MS Publisher 2003. I can sort of make it work right but, I' d would liek to have it work a lot better. Try it youll see what I mean.

2) besides shelling out wads of cash is there a good way to get some hits on search engines?

3) ant good online resources for learning how to write scripts and html code and such.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
My recommendation on the scripting would be php. This is both due to price (php is opensource, so is offered as a free add-on with hosting companies), but also because it is so easy to write and learn. Tons of free php tutorials out there. Start here (http://us2.php.net/tut.php) at the official one. PHP is the bomb for server-side stuff. Trust it and go. Also, http://www.w3schools.com/ is a great resource for free how-tos to get started on most all techie stuff.

You can register the site with the various search engines, but this does little good, and I think most charge for the service these days. Patience will see it in them. Also, usable META tags are a must. This site (http://www.metamend.com/website-strategy.html) will give you a heads up on writing the page with search engines in mind.

Good luck.

OP
MAHALLEDAY

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks chum. I'm a pretty quick learner so hopefuly I can get thsi sorted out ASAP. Idealy I would liek to write a script that allows me to do update sliek adding adds and pics and such without having to us a program and re-upload everything. I have been told I can. Just gotta figure out how. I would assuem itd be simialr to what is done here. I was thinking of on da adding a forum to. I think that could be pretty unique.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
MAHALLEDAY said:
Thanks chum. I'm a pretty quick learner so hopefuly I can get thsi sorted out ASAP. Idealy I would liek to write a script that allows me to do update sliek adding adds and pics and such without having to us a program and re-upload everything. I have been told I can. Just gotta figure out how. I would assuem itd be simialr to what is done here. I was thinking of on da adding a forum to. I think that could be pretty unique.
The auto updates and such can be done by making the site database enabled. I would recommend using MySQL, for the same reasons that I recommended PHP above. Also, php and mysql interoperate well since php has native mysql support. Also note that most forum software are built around mysql/php.

php also uses standard html methods of includes, etc... By building your site with include files, you could then make changes once and they are made throughout the site. Just say you will have the same banner across the top of every page. By building a banner include page, and including it in all pages, you could then change just the banner page instead of changing a banner in every page on the site. Or say that you have a database connection on 6 pages of your site, similar to our golf league siet. By writing a connection page, and including it in the other pages, you then need to change the connection string only once when your hosting co diddles with their servers. Writing your pages with little tricks like this will make life easier for you. Good luck, and have fun.

OP
MAHALLEDAY

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I am enjoying learning all this. It seems not too bad. I'm sure ill figure it all out eventually. I hope. Thanks for the advice.

OP
MAHALLEDAY

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Just made some of the suggested changes, please have a lok and tell me what you think. Whats the best way to get hits on search engines?? I submitt every day almost and i joined a web ring. Other than paying for listings i can;t thnk of anyting else to do???

H

Hardcore

Well i dont really know anything about web design or stuff like that, but the home page text is crowded, but all of the others pages seem really good. Thats just what i think, then again, i know nothing about this.

🔥 Latest posts