• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My slice

H

Hardcore

hey...i have a wicked slice and i have had it ever since i started golfing and i started a year and a half ago...i can shoot 95's but if i got rid of my slice im sure i could break 90..i have tried almost everything...changing stance, everything...what kinda of drill is out there to get rid of my slice or what do you think im doing wrong and how can i fix it...could it be my driver or what..it is an old big bertha and it is used...im not sure plz help me...it is only with my driver off the box

Mister Bater

Jan 13, 2005
Hardcore said:
hey...i have a wicked slice and i have had it ever since i started golfing and i started a year and a half ago...i can shoot 95's but if i got rid of my slice im sure i could break 90..i have tried almost everything...changing stance, everything...what kinda of drill is out there to get rid of my slice or what do you think im doing wrong and how can i fix it...could it be my driver or what..it is an old big bertha and it is used...im not sure plz help me...it is only on my driver off the box

Check the shaft isnt too stiff on your driver. If the driver always slices - be disciplined and don't use it off the tee. Try your three wood.

look on the sole of the club for the scuff marks caused by your tees. I'd guess they would be diagonal indicating an "out to in" swing...major cause of slices.

See a pro. Just for one lesson at first. They will spot the major faults in a tic.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
inside approach swing aid? i don't have one but have used one and have heard nothing but good things about them

OP
H

Hardcore

I get what your saying and I think I know what to do...I have a round tomorrow morning and I'll tell you how it went so thanks and well see what happens...:)

pball5156

Mar 21, 2005
Try setting up the ball WAY off your left foot, maybe even outside. Like Mr. Bater (teehee) said, slices are generally caused by an out to in swing, meaning on your downswing your elbows are coming away from your body, putting an unwanted angle on the clubface at impact, pushing the ball right with a spin.

My suggestion to rid yourself of it is to readjust your timing, with proper timing, you'll get maximum distance and accuracy out of your swing. Try to maintain the neutral stance as long as you can in your swing. For instance, keep your setup "power" stance in your backswing, and hold that stance as far as you can in your foreswing. This will train your body to not break through your swing, or lead your body in front of your clubface, also causing a slice.

OP
B

BadFish

I also agree with trying to put the ball on the outside of your front foot at address and keeping a neutral stance or even putting more weight on your back foot. Also, using a three wood off of the tee might give you the confidance you need to hit your driver well off of the tee.

Try a right hand release drill-Just as you are making contact with the ball or after contact, release your right hand(if you are right handed). This should give you feedback letting you know that you are using your right hand only to guide the club along the correct plane. This should also let you feel the proper "release" or closing/squaring of the clubface naturally at contact.

Also, focus on maintaining the same grip pressure throughout the entire swing. If you are tightening your grip with your right hand during your downswing this will cause the muscles in your forearm to contract which will cause you to roll your hands under the club resulting in an open face at contact. An open face at contact will result in a slice almost every time.

I am not sure if these drills will help you but I am working on the same thing right now. I just got some new clubs last Thursday and when I picked them up I worked with the Pro who did my fitting. He told me that he has known for a while that I had a relatively strong grip but that it worked with my swing. However, he said now that my swing has improved my grip must also improve to match my swing (this is why I have been hooking the ball recently). So he changed my grip to be weaker and know I am spraying my new driver and 3 wood and sometimes my 5 wood. He gave me both of those drills to try and get that under control. The new grip seems to be working fine for my irons; they are super straight but not as far consistantly as my old ones. I think this is because I am still getting used to the new clubs and also swinging tentatively because of the new grip.

I have not seen you swing so this may not work for you and I also do not necesarily know what I am talking about--I am just trying to impart some of what my pro told me and since we are in the same situation right now I thought I would pass this along. I hope these drills might help you and good luck getting your tee shots under contol.

OP
H

Hardcore

Wow thanks for all of the information and tips guys, Tomorrow morning i will try them all, I hope I get rid of this crazy slice soon.

🔥 Latest posts