• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My swing numbers and driver selection...

REFLOG

Aug 27, 2006
Just got back from the Pete Carlson's Golf Expo in Palm Desert. Tried out 3 drivers this time around. Here's what I found on the range:

1. Ping G5 NVS 65 stiff 9* - hit it with some fade and low (230yds)
2. Ping Rapture NVS stiff 10.5 *- hit it a little straighter, but low (230yds)
3. Hi Bore XL NVS 65 stiff regular 10.5* - STRAIGHT, STRAIGHT and higher!!! (240yds)

I account to the length and height of the Hi Bore to the NVS 65 in regular flex. I was not loading the stiff shafts enough for them to release to maximum effort.

Ordered club #3!!!!

My specs at Roger Dunn golf this afternoon with Hi Bore 9.5 degree regular flex with Fuji shaft (no NVS in stock-special order).

club speed: 108 mph
ball speed: 135 mph
launch angle with stock Fuji shaft regular: 9.0*
Spin: 3200

Launch angle should improve quite a bit, with NVS. It sure felt great on the range as opposed to hitting into a net.

I previously hit the Nike SQ, TM QUAD, and Cally Big Bertha. BB was a nice fit for me, but the Hi Bore was just straight, straight, straight.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Those are pretty slow ball speeds for a 108mph swing. My swing is 112, and my ballspeeds are around 160.

I'm also using a HiBore, but I don't have the NV.

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Even with a smach factor of 1.3, your ballspeed still should be, wait figuring in head, um, 124. OK, never mind.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
No, its 132. Sounds like you might have been mishitting it a little.

OP
REFLOG

REFLOG

Aug 27, 2006
my lowest SS was 100 and highest was 114. Most were 108

BS: lowest was 127, highest was 141

Why the difference compared to your SS??

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
With the specs gave on the Hibore, your smash factor was 1.25. Smash factor is ballspeed divided by clubhead speed. Perfect contact is usually considered 1.5, I think. If you had perfect contact with a 108 SS, your ballspeed would have been 162 mph, instead of 138. The 24 mph difference would result in 60 extra yards in distance, assuming 2.5 yards per mph.

How were you hitting them? Did they feel pure?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nice to hear that XL is high and straight... I may be getting myself into an 8.5* if that's the case.

I kind of want to try that red Fuji shaft. Seems pretty decent specs. wise.

OP
REFLOG

REFLOG

Aug 27, 2006
Well I only hit about 10-20 balls with it on range-a couple felt solid, but I would need to play a few rounds to build some consistency and hit solid on a regular basis. It just felt better that than the others and hit straighter. My guess is the yardages were not accurate as we were guestimating on range (no yardage markers). I would feel very sad if we were long in our guesses :(

I'm 44 years old now and always hit a stiff in previous playingg years- Regular flex is now what appears to best for my current swing. I even hit some irons that were reg. flex that felt very straight and solid, as opposed to my current stiffs that kind of fade on most mid to longer irons. All of my mis hits are attributed to lack of practice/play.

I can see that age and a lack of playing are taking its toll on my game. Since I have seldom played in recent years, I am hoping that my recent desire to "get back into the game regularly" will get me close to where I once was (close to single digit index).

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Don't be afraid of a regular flex if your hitting it well. A regular flex will help you get the ball up, too.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
With the specs gave on the Hibore, your smash factor was 1.25. Smash factor is ballspeed divided by clubhead speed. Perfect contact is usually considered 1.5, I think. If you had perfect contact with a 108 SS, your ballspeed would have been 162 mph, instead of 138. The 24 mph difference would result in 60 extra yards in distance, assuming 2.5 yards per mph.

How were you hitting them? Did they feel pure?

These were my questions too.

The best part about this is that even on off center hits, he was getting outstanding feedback and results.

Imagine when he starts puring the thing. YOWZAHS!!!

Great pickup, REFLOG. You're gonna LOVE that driver.

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
These were my questions too.

The best part about this is that even on off center hits, he was getting outstanding feedback and results.

Imagine when he starts puring the thing. YOWZAHS!!!

Great pickup, REFLOG. You're gonna LOVE that driver.

R35

You say that your ballspeed is 160 and your SS is 112? The simulator at Pro Golf only measures ball speed, so I've been guessing at my SS. My average BS (Funny, never noticed that) was 156 with a high of 162. The average included two tops, as I was struggling with the low tee. So I've been guessing my SS was like 108.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You say that your ballspeed is 160 and your SS is 112? The simulator at Pro Golf only measures ball speed, so I've been guessing at my SS. My average BS (Funny, never noticed that) was 156 with a high of 162. The average included two tops, as I was struggling with the low tee. So I've been guessing my SS was like 108.

That's right at what I had at a Callway fitting. I was just under 160 BS but I had one ballmark and it was inside of center (probably the D0 swingweight and a 46" shaft) I had distance avg of 262 and SS avg. 113.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

What was your carry distance?

Simulators are kinda fuzzy on swingspeed. I had mine taken with an actual swingspeed gun...in the sim, it tops out at around 108, even if I go after it like crazy. So, you gotta take those numbers with a grain of salt. I find carry and ballspeed, however, to be very close to what my launch monitor numbers were in the fall....

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
What was your carry distance?

Simulators are kinda fuzzy on swingspeed. I had mine taken with an actual swingspeed gun...in the sim, it tops out at around 108, even if I go after it like crazy. So, you gotta take those numbers with a grain of salt. I find carry and ballspeed, however, to be very close to what my launch monitor numbers were in the fall....

R35

My carry distance was between 255-265. I was hitting a 905R, and I just noticed the numbers. It was weird though, because my launch angle was only like 12 degrees, and the carry was 260 with only 5 yards of roll.

I'm going to a new simulator tomorrow, and its supposed to be really accurate, at least they claim to be, so I'll have new numbers with my new R5TP. I can't wait!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My carry distance was between 255-265. I was hitting a 905R, and I just noticed the numbers. It was weird though, because my launch angle was only like 12 degrees, and the carry was 260 with only 5 yards of roll.

I'm going to a new simulator tomorrow, and its supposed to be really accurate, at least they claim to be, so I'll have new numbers with my new R5TP. I can't wait!

Roll numbers can be affected by lots of variables (ground firmness, ect). I wouldn't judge total distance to be that accurate. Carry is what you should be concerned with at this point.

12* isn't bad, but 1.5* more is gonna give you 16-20 yards more carry. Now THAT is a good ball.

I played Wednesday with my big hitting friend. His SS is around 125. He hit a 302 yard carry drive with a 9* launch. Just insane.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.