• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My swing numbers and driver selection...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My carry distance was between 255-265. I was hitting a 905R, and I just noticed the numbers. It was weird though, because my launch angle was only like 12 degrees, and the carry was 260 with only 5 yards of roll.

I'm going to a new simulator tomorrow, and its supposed to be really accurate, at least they claim to be, so I'll have new numbers with my new R5TP. I can't wait!

Good luck. You are gonna cream that thing on the sweet spot.
icon10.gif

OP
REFLOG

REFLOG

Aug 27, 2006
That's right at what I had at a Callway fitting. I was just under 160 BS but I had one ballmark and it was inside of center (probably the D0 swingweight and a 46" shaft) I had distance avg of 262 and SS avg. 113.

Ez - That's amazing how my SS is 108 and I use an R flex and you are only about 5 mph more and use an X flex!! Am I missing something? Also, my launch angles were pretty low with the fuji and blue shafts. I hope they increase with NVS 65 reg flex.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ez - That's amazing how my SS is 108 and I use an R flex and you are only about 5 mph more and use an X flex!! Am I missing something? Also, my launch angles were pretty low with the fuji and blue shafts. I hope they increase with NVS 65 reg flex.

Well the NVS plays stiffer than flex and the Speeder is recommended X over 105. I'm getting pretty good accuracy and distance with the X. I've never tried an R in a driver. I just took a chance with the X as I traded my R7425 for it, which had an NT-65X and I hit pretty well.

Another consideration is I am by no means smooth. I have a freeze frame of the beginning of my downswing... the Speeder X is bending quite a bit.
icon10.gif

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
I hit the high bore xl today for the first time. I liked the club. I'm sure it will be a good choice.

Curious your launch angle was only 9 and I understand the shaft you ordered will have a higher launch, did you consider the 11.5* driver? You are currently 3 plus degrees below optimum launch angle. It seems like a bit of a gamble to hope that you are going to get all of the higher launch in the shaft without trying it first.
Also if your ss is 108mph and your ball speed is 135 mph I would guess your are not hitting the sweet spot. You might want to consider shortening your driver a half inch or even an inch. Even most pros do not swing a 45" inch shaft.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Just got back from the Pete Carlson's Golf Expo in Palm Desert. Tried out 3 drivers this time around. Here's what I found on the range:

1. Ping G5 NVS 65 stiff 9* - hit it with some fade and low (230yds)
2. Ping Rapture NVS stiff 10.5 *- hit it a little straighter, but low (230yds)
3. Hi Bore XL NVS 65 stiff regular 10.5* - STRAIGHT, STRAIGHT and higher!!! (240yds)

I account to the length and height of the Hi Bore to the NVS 65 in regular flex. I was not loading the stiff shafts enough for them to release to maximum effort.

Ordered club #3!!!!

I'm surprised that the NVS came off low for you, the S flex must have been too stiff. That combo of the regular shaft and more loft sounds like a winning one for you. Good luck!

Also - I wouldn't worry about the SIM numbers, they are ok for a starting point, but the range is a MUCH better indicator. Trust your feelings Luke

OP
REFLOG

REFLOG

Aug 27, 2006
I hit the high bore xl today for the first time. I liked the club. I'm sure it will be a good choice.

Curious your launch angle was only 9 and I understand the shaft you ordered will have a higher launch, did you consider the 11.5* driver? You are currently 3 plus degrees below optimum launch angle. It seems like a bit of a gamble to hope that you are going to get all of the higher launch in the shaft without trying it first.
Also if your ss is 108mph and your ball speed is 135 mph I would guess your are not hitting the sweet spot. You might want to consider shortening your driver a half inch or even an inch. Even most pros do not swing a 45" inch shaft.

I actually hit (on range) the exact combo I purchased (with the NVS 65 Reg. flex). It had a higher launch than any of the other combos I hit. I actually play the ball too far to center (about 2" inside of left heel) and need to move it further to left. I also ned to stand a little closer to ball to create a steeper angle/plane as opposed to my flatter plane. This should create higher launch angles.

As far an 11.5*, the fitter felt that based on my swing and the fact that I am/will play and practice more, the 11.5 would be outgrown pretty quickly.

I hate to buy a club to fix a problem with my swing a later regret the purchase as I become more consistent and better.

Pros swing a shorter driver than 45"? Why? I would have quessed longer for increased speeds.

What else can I do to increase launch angle?

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
Sounds very reasonable.

The short length shaft is for control at the pro level. For us underlings it can be the difference between hitting the sweet spot more often. You'll get more distance out of the driver by hitting the sweet spot then you will by adding 1/2" to 1" in length.

Moving the ball forward will help also teeing it higher will help. Try these two easy adjustments and see how it goes.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online