• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

my swing videos

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
today on the course my buddy brought out his video camera to shoot some vid's of our swings and i fugured i'd post em on here for critique and bashing, haha. the first one is on hole # 6, 390 yard dog-leg, par 4 in which i hit driver to about 135 yards out (255 or so), where i started it out just left of the tree's you see on the right and then it had a nice draw back to the middle. a very solid shot:

http://media.putfile.com/driver-swing

video #2 is a 9 iron on hole 16, a par 3 of 147 yards, in which i took a 9 iron off the tee up to the front right of the green. the wind was slightly right to left, and i was playing a big draw as i usually do with short irons, hence my foot alignment in the video.

http://media.putfile.com/short-iron-swing

i know that by no means do i have a great swing, but im comfortable with it, and it seems to work quite well. i would appreciate all the help i could get. thanks a lot.

ps. this is just a copy and paste from a post i put on GR.

thanks ST.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You definitely take that clubhead back on the inside path. That's something I've been working on the get a draw and eliminate my slicing for good. Unfortunately I've discovered 2 new problems, pushes and pulls. I don't know much about the swing (can't even figure my own out) so don't take any criticism to heart. I notice it seems you start out very flat and then get steeper after the transition to the downswing, do you hit a lot of very high balls? Another thing is how stiff you keep that back leg, is that a good thing? I just wonder if you could add some more power by letting it loosen up a bit. Another thing I recommed is checking out where you're catching the driver on the face. They have that pad deal you can put on the face but I just put a little red mark on a range ball with a sharpie. I adjusted the weight on my driver head and my setup. I went from catching it a 1/2 in inside to dead center consistently, made a big difference in distance. Make another one at the range sometime from different angles, I love making videos and it helps a lot to actually see yourself swing.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I've just watched the driver swing (took ages to appear so didn't wait for the second one, sorry).

Your set up looks nicely aligned if slightly upright, but the first move away seems too fast for the rest of your swing and it throws your timing and mainly your balance off. If you pause at the top you will see that the rapid start causes your shoulders to move off their swing axis (this is actually difficult to describe). I know, try this thought. If you had a laser pointing straight out of your chest, at the top of your swing it should be pointing roughly at the middle of the chest of the person holding the camera when you reach the top of your swing (assuming they are the same height as you). However, yours would be pointing more to the head of that person as you fall back a little at the top which also makes you overswing. Then you really lay into the ball from the top cutting across the ball.

With maybe a slightly slower take away motion, you might find that all the other stuff kind of sorts itself out automatically and you should have a nice fluid tempo.

I always answer these swing things, if anyone ever listens to me (on your own head be it!), please let me know how things turn out
icon10.gif

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Nice driver & iron video. I may have to start doing mine in Quicktime.

OK, I'm no expert, as Rock will verify. But a couple of things: a little knee bend at setup might help. Also, your takeaway is too inside. I thought your downswing and impact position looked great. Your swing is virtually identical with both clubs.

Now get us some head on views so we can critique that setup, lag, head position. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Not bad at all.

I would ask that you watch this video, and take one single thing away from it.

http://www.nike.com/nikegolf/swingportrait/index.html?navID=swingportrait_tout

Look at Tiger's head throughout the swing. It doesn't move a bit until very late in the backswing, when his tremendous shoulder rotation pushes his nose just slightly off the ball. Now watch your video and look at your head motion.

Your head rotates fairly violently during your swing. This is a result of your misperception that a big swing arc generates power. You need a good arc, but it is coil that generates power. And you can't generate a good coil when your head and spine are moving as much as yours do.

I'm not saying that you should keep your head "rock-steady", as that's extremely hard to do, and causes problems in amateur players that don't have the flexibility of a Tiger Woods. But try to keep it a lot steadier than you do. You will feel as though your backswing is restricted a bit. And it will be. But that restriction is actually a good thing, as it means you are creating true coil in your muscles. This is the X-Factor that Jim McLean talks about. When you shorten your backswing, you may have a tendency to rush at the ball as you learn that distance comes from coil, and not from rotation. I know I had that problem as I've tried to move from a JD swing to an X-Factor swing. You have the advantage of having a good inside swing path. Maintain that feeling with a shortened backswing.

Slow your swing down a bit, shorten your backswing, and keep your head still. Practice those three things and your balance and ball-striking consistency will improve.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Advice

Set Up: Shoulders are open to alignment lines
Cure: so work on squaring up with the rest of the body

Takeaway: Left arm moves across your chest causing the club to come inside very quickly this subsequently causes your hands to become very deep ( long way behind you).
Cure: Try working on making small swings to hip height keeping as much distance between your left arm and your chest as this will allow the club to move wider and more on line to start

To the top of the swing:This causes the shoulders to rotate on a very flat plane and the club because of your flexibility gets across the line due to too much turn also creating a slight reverse weight shift
Cure: Due to making the adjustments noted before you should then be able to feel the club being a lot lighter and more in front of you than behind when you look down the line on cam u should see your left arm clear of your chest your hands in the middle of your chest and the buttend of the club poiting between your feet and the ball

Downswing: Because of what has gone before the golf swing reacts to that, theres two ways your arms can swing down from where they are your chosen path is a lot steeper than the backswing plane and because of this you can see the clubface is still open at hip height so to try and square it up you turn your upper body through the ball whilst frantically trying to square the clubface with your hands this manipulation results in the loss of balance at the end due to all the exertions beforehand
Cure:Again as above this will lead to a more powerful balanced backswing so on the way down hopefully the butt end of the club will again point between you and the ball enabling you to release the club down the line with no manipulation and into a more balanced finish.

🔥 Latest posts