• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My teenage daughter's call from NYC

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
In America, this is a 3 day holiday weekend, commemorating Martin Luther King...

Yesterday, I put my 16 yo daughter on a flight to LaGuardia airport along with 29 other girls and four chaperones. The last time she went to NYC was a four day trip we took when she was 12...

She has earned quite a bit of $$ babysitting and has $500 in her bank account and a debit card. Her mother and I gave her $75 cash too.

So she calls this morning all excited about what she has bought so far. I am thinking she has been mid-town or uptown at Saks or something like that.

NO...she proudly says she has bought bootleg DVD's of movies that are currently running in theatres. Of course I ask ...where?

From street vendors.

Also a 'fake Coach bag'.

GREAT....she goes to NY and buys a bunch of illegal stuff....

Oh well.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I guess you should just be happy it wasn't lost in a 3 card Monty game or something. Still remember taking my old roommate from college to NYC. He was watching a 3 card monty game. The second he started reaching for his wallet I had started dragging him down the street by his collar kicking and screaming, as he insisted he had figured it out by watching for a couple minutes. That and the fact $75 could be spent at a street vendor for dinner in NYC. :D

I think the cheapest place I found to eat there was at the Hard Rock Cafe. Less than $15 a plate for a good lunch, they seem to have the same prices throughout the US, and for NYC that is cheap.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hahaha, to be young and naive. And I'm young and naive! :D

Oh well, I mean at least she's enjoying herself and not completely blowing the money away.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I think the cheapest place I found to eat there was at the Hard Rock Cafe. Less than $15 a plate for a good lunch, they seem to have the same prices throughout the US, and for NYC that is cheap.

You never cease to amaze me.

That's where they ate last night....

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
thats some of the coolest stuff in ny when you are younger, im 16 right now, and i remeber 4 years ago i bought 5 pairs of foakleys from a street vendor, as well as a fake rolex for 25 bucks, it was some of the coolest stuff i saw that week.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
My bosses' stepdaughter and wife just got back from NYC a couple of weeks ago. They were proudest of their purchases from street vendors and "the backs of vans." To each their own, I guess.

onetime

Sep 8, 2004
the dvds will be copies of a hand held video that someone took will sitting in the movie. You will have trouble hearing and seeing it.

She wasted her money.

She should have gone down to Chinatown for the fake bags. They bring you into a back room.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
My sister in law was in NYC down some street where all of the vendors had roll up doors, she was looking inside till the police came down the street and the vendor rolled down the door with my sister-in-law still in the store along with the other shoppers.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
BTW Bravo,
Not sure if she is still there, but another reasonably priced place to eat if there are a number of people with you, that has great Italian food is Carmine's. They have 2 locations, one on Broadway in the upper west side, and the other just off Broadway by Times Square. They are an ala-carte menu where you order a couple for the group and split it all up, so one plate is enough for two people. We went with 8 people, order a couple appetizers and 3 meals and couldn't eat it all. Their menu is on the site.
http://www.carminesnyc.com/

edit 1 - not the best Italian food I had in NYC, but possibly the cheapest per person, and very good. The best was some place with the red and white checkered table cloths, a boccie ball room in the back room, no menu, and a waiter I couldn't understand because he had such a thick accent, so I just told him to bring me what he would recommend, which he seemed to appreciate, and a fine job he did. I just remember a friend of my wifes mother, who was Italian walking to the front of what looked like at least an hour or more wait and dropping a name that sounded even more Italian and we walked right in and sat down.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
She came home today...I liked your suggestions and will remember them the next time I go there.

This trip is an annual event for a woman who has done it each year for the past 15 or so and she seems to have her routine down to a science...

I love to eat in NYC...the portions are huge and the Italian foot is the best...

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well, I would hate to disappoint, that being the case here is a special cheers to you and your family. :)

I am going home in a few minutes.

Let's see if she brought anything back from the Hard Rock....

Members online

No members online now.