• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My week of deer hunting

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I know many here don't like hunting but if it's any concellation I didn't get a deer.... I did have a good, relaxing time in my blind though. Here are some pics.....
blind3.jpg
blind5.jpg
me1.jpg
owl1.jpg

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
A few more pics. We had a cougar on the land all week. One guy just got in his blind in time as it was snarling and growling at him (it was pitch dark in the middle of the night). One of the guys and his son got nice bucks though.
rogers2.jpg
Animationsnooze.jpg
garirits1.jpg
rogers3.jpg

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Here is sssmokin's view of when I sit still and hunt good and when I move around too much....
correct-1.gif
incorrect-1.gif

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Most guys fantasize about a woman or a car, truck, etc. This is WBL's fantasy. Of course it's a fake picture. (Most Wisconsin guys will recognize this buck).
Big_Buck_002b.jpg

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
This is my stand that I share with my little mouse friends. (They don't eat much). Old barber chair is really comfy, and when my heater is going, it's really hard to stay awake.
1123111500a95258281.jpg
1123111458a95298321.jpg
1123111459a95287113.jpg
1123111458b95306581.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Nice pics. I would give you guys a hard time by saying you might kill a deer if you weren't hunting out of a condo, but I didn't kill anything either. :p Well, I did arrow a 40 lb fawn for the freezer, just haven't killed a buck yet. I've had some really good hunts though. I got to see an awesome buck fight about 30 yds in front of me. I thought they were going to fight till the death. I've seen bucks sparring but nothing like this. It was between a mature but small 9 pt with a compact looking rack and a nice wide 10pt (prob go 140"). Surprisingly, the smaller buck thrashed the bigger one...very one-sided fight.

Here is what I hunt out of. Not my actual stand but the same model.
spin_prod_252722001.jpg
imgres

spin_prod_252722001.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Nice pics. I would give you guys a hard time by saying you might kill a deer if you weren't hunting out of a condo, but I didn't kill anything either. :p Well, I did arrow a 40 lb fawn for the freezer, just haven't killed a buck yet. I've had some really good hunts though. I got to see an awesome buck fight about 30 yds in front of me. I thought they were going to fight till the death. I've seen bucks sparring but nothing like this. It was between a mature but small 9 pt with a compact looking rack and a nice wide 10pt (prob go 140"). Surprisingly, the smaller buck thrashed the bigger one...very one-sided fight.

Here is what I hunt out of. Not my actual stand but the same model.
View attachment 14585
imgres

Pffft...after seeing a couple stands from the area I hunt up north...WBL & SSS's are shacks(no offense guys...they're a lot nicer than what i hunt out of).

Several of these guys have run electric to their deer blinds. Dish's hanging off the side(can't miss the packer game. Wood burning stoves to keep warm and cook on. Cot's to sleep on. Refrigerators for the food. They go out there Friday afternoon before gun deer opens, stay the night, and don't go back to their house till mid-week. A couple of guys say they don't leave it the entire 9 day gun hunt unless they kill something. These things are completely insulated and finished on the inside.

lol, I know why these guys stay in their deer blind all week for...it's actually nicer than their home.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Those blinds you guys have are nice. Perfect for hunting with a rifle. Would be fun buddy hunting in one of those. Ideal for filming or taking the kids. But I can't hunt like that. One of these days when I get older and retire, maybe. I'm a bow hunter, I've all but quit hunting deer with a firearm, it just doesn't excite me anymore. I'm all about getting into remote locations and jumping around in different spots depending on deer movement or wind direction and using a stealthier approach.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Yeah, but you're not OLD like we are! I used to hunt like you (with a rifle). And I killed deer but this is the way to go IMHO. I walk 100 yards and (due to sarcoidosis) puff like an old race horse. I walk almost a mile back in to my stand so I'm a mess for a while...

eclark,

I've been in blinds like that. This one guy I know has a small house solidly built probably 40 feet up in the air against a tree. It's like climbing up the stairs in the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called now). He gets a monster every year. He fell off those stairs one year climbing up and was in the hospital a LONG time recovering..... He's probably installed an elevator now.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Those blinds you guys have are nice. Perfect for hunting with a rifle. Would be fun buddy hunting in one of those. Ideal for filming or taking the kids. But I can't hunt like that. One of these days when I get older and retire, maybe. I'm a bow hunter, I've all but quit hunting deer with a firearm, it just doesn't excite me anymore. I'm all about getting into remote locations and jumping around in different spots depending on deer movement or wind direction and using a stealthier approach.

I'm just out there for meat...I couldn't care less what the wind's doing...

Half the deer i've seen thusfar have been directly downwind of me...they didn't seem to care much.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
We hunt on our leased land (129 acres) by QDM (quality deer management). All our neighbors do the same. The deer have a chance to grow up.......bucks are usually 3-4 years old and SMART. We don't take any bucks under 8 points and 15" spread. So there are a lot of monster bucks in the area. The wolves, coyotes, and now cougars have been taking their toll the last few years. Not as many deer on a whole as we used to see. A few years ago, opening morning looked like a herd of wildebeast (spelling) in Africa coming over the hill for every stand. It was common to see 100 deer on opening day. Not lately.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Here's a couple of pics of deer taken on our land the last few years. Unfortunately none by WBL and myself........LOL.
Garrit2.jpg
310350_669215561339_184803159_34159148_293489707_n.jpg
both1.jpg
GarysDeer.jpg

🔥 Latest posts