• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Myrtle Beach Trip Report Feb 08

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Jan 30-Feb 2 Myrtle Beach Trip Report

Four of us left New York on Wed evening. With wind delays, we hit Myrtle about 10:30 and headed south to Pawley’s Plantation. Cliff at the reception desk was nice enough to stick around to make sure we could get checked in OK. We planned on playing 5 different courses and scheduled tee times so we could get in 36 with stopping for lunch before nightfall. Also picked venues that included marshland, parkland and plantation courses so we could have different experiences on every track. Decided to play 6’s on every round playing $5 seven ways with automatic press bets two down. Everyone got to partner with everyone else multiple times and kept the matches even over the course of the trip.
Got up early Thursday and played Pawley’s Plantation, a Jack Nicklaus designed track in the marshland. Pawley’s is fairly narrow and plays 6522 from the blues with a 72.5/132 slope. It was cold and damp with heavy winds and found ourselves with 2 and 3 club differences throughout. Very challenging. The fairways were not in the best of shape, however OK for the middle of winter. The greens were terrific however and played true. Wasn’t wild about the front nine because of the bordering condos everywhere. However, the backside is absolutely stunning with views over the marsh lands and elevated tees to semi island greens. All in all, a good course to start on.
In the afternoon we played Heritage Plantation, a beautifully designed course by Dan Maples and Larry Young, two of the best. The blues measured 6656, but with the wind it played a definite 7000. The course is rated with a 73.3/136 slope. The greens were a little beat up, but the fairways were in terrific shape. Really classic club house overlooking the Waccamaw River. holes 8,12, 13 & 14 with water in play, by themselves were worth the cost of the round.
Dinner that night at Frank’s on 17. Great restaurant, good wine list and terrific service. Perfect way to end the day.
Next day we scheduled the morning round at True Blue and the afternoon at Caledonia. Awakened to pouring rain. Was so depressed I wanted to cry because these were my two must play courses on the trip. Went to True Blue for breakfast. Luckily the rain lightened up so we played. Got caught in rain and wind on about 4 holes and then the sun sort of broke through. True Blue is a Mike Strantz masterpiece. Blues played 6812 with 72.8/141 slope rating. Easy to understand why this course has won so many awards and accolades. A fantastic track and the most challenging of the trip. The conditions were terrific. Difficult to the max with the weather this day, but as good as you’re going to find in Myrtle or anywhere. Beautiful from every direction with no homes in sight. Great par 3’s with incredibly dramatic par 5’s, especially the 9th & 10th back to back. Great clubhouse. A must play for anyone even thinking about putting together a Myrtle Beach trip.
The afternoon’s weather turned bright and sunny as we headed to True Blue’s sister course, another Strantz stunner, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club. Visually magnificent in every way. No condos to ruin the vistas. Fantastic conditions on the greens and fairways. From the Blues it measures only 6121 yards with a 69.9/134 slope, but don’t let this fool you into thinking it’s a cakewalk. It’s not. One of the most visually beautiful courses I ever played. If Mike Strantz is up in architect’s heaven reading this, thank you with all my heart Mike.
Dinner that night at Bistro 321, good food and fun.
Woke up on Saturday to a chilly but sunny day. Headed out to our last course before hitting the airport for home. TPC is fantastic. Great clubhouse with service so professional and friendly. We got hit with a frost delay to 9AM so knew we would have to play hit and run to make the plane. This is a Tom Fazio woodlands course that is so visually beautiful it’s hard to describe. Very few homes on the course, but are quite dramatic and do not intrude. Conditions were perfect, especially the new greens that provided subtle breaks that are hard to see. The par 5 number 2 with 2 lakes in play is a winner followed by a 447 yard par 4 third hole, requiring a forced carry over wetlands is terrific. While more forgiving than Heritage, True Blue or Caledonia, it is a course that you will not forget. Especially the closing hole with the clubhouse in the background, a pretty stream meandering up the right side and the lake looming on the left. What a great way to finish.

Here’s the deal: 4 guys in two 2-bedroom condos at Pawley’s Plantation (clean and comfortable) with breakfast thrown in (they even gave us a $20 gift certificate to the pro shop), 5 rounds of golf, one each at Pawley’s, Heritage, True Blue, Caledonia and TPC inclusive of carts and taxes came to $684 per man. Unbelievable!

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I'd like to see pics as well. My family is staying a week in September and I'm pretty pumped about playing a few times while I'm there. Thanks for the excellent report.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.