• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Naked left hand.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Last week I decided to play the back 9 without a glove because I was having trouble feeling the club head, mostly with the driver. The only reason I thought to try it was that I never wear a glove when I practice with my medicus 5 iron. Too lazy to go to the garage to get it I guess.

The no glove thing actually helped and also showed me where I was gripping too firmly. I played the whole round yesterday with the naked left hand and while it wasn't a great round I did see some real improvement. I don't know how this will work out once summer gets here but if it does I'm gonna save some money.

Anybody else play without a glove?

Jun 24, 2006
Last week I decided to play the back 9 without a glove because I was having trouble feeling the club head, mostly with the driver. The only reason I thought to try it was that I never wear a glove when I practice with my medicus 5 iron. Too lazy to go to the garage to get it I guess.

The no glove thing actually helped and also showed me where I was gripping too firmly. I played the whole round yesterday with the naked left hand and while it wasn't a great round I did see some real improvement. I don't know how this will work out once summer gets here but if it does I'm gonna save some money.

Anybody else play without a glove?

I will never again play without a glove. Frick that.

I even putt with it on.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I grew up playing w/o one. The last round I played I took it off at the turn and forgot to put it back on and dropped 4 strokes though.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Never ever use a glove. I know how to keep my hands dry on rainy/hot days.

I just have no feel with a glove on.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Either way. I never practice with a glove, but I still play with one. In the summer, particularly, it's a sweat thing.

Unlike slammin' Sammy, I got me calluses.... ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed. I can't putt or swing properly without a glove.

My left hand is my guide hand, my right is power. I need the lead to be strong before the power is. Power with no lead = Phil Mickelson.

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I will never again play without a glove. Frick that.

I even putt with it on.

Agreed. I can't putt or swing properly without a glove.
R35

I thought I was the only freak who putted with a glove on. :D

It just does not feel right when I pick up a club without a glove on so I always wear one. Harvey Penick used to make students take their golve off so he could check their grip and most would forget to put it back on and get used to playing sans glove. Harvey like it when people played without gloves; it is one of the few things he recommended that I do not agree with. I need my glove all the time and two rain gloves when it rains. It is probably more out of habit now than necessity with some of the modern grips, but feel is everything and it just feels right to have that glove on my left hand.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
My playing partner and I are exact opposites. He ALWAYS wears one, i dont tihnk i ever see him take it off in a round, putting included, and i never wear one.

If i got tons of them at my disposal for free, i may use one or get used to it, but i cant find a reason to spend 10-20$ on a glove when i will wear it out in less than 2 wks.

robryche

Jan 12, 2007
i also putt with my glove on. moreso because i dont feel like taking it off then putting it back on every damn hole. lol

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
My playing partner and I are exact opposites. He ALWAYS wears one, i dont tihnk i ever see him take it off in a round, putting included, and i never wear one.

If i got tons of them at my disposal for free, i may use one or get used to it, but i cant find a reason to spend 10-20$ on a glove when i will wear it out in less than 2 wks.

This is my biggest peeve about gloves... the cost. You can buy them a lot cheaper, but the feel and quality is usually lacking too. And $15-$20 for half a pair of gloves really is outrageous. My last 2 range sessions were sans glove, and if I play tomorrow I think I'm going to go naked and see how it goes. I played without one for years, then got back into it when I got some freebees. I still have a new one and an almost new one in my bag, so it's not an irrevocable decision. :laugh:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I used to golf with a scratch golfer from work (he moved to SC) and he never wore a glove. He could really work the ball.

But I feel more comfortable with a glove. It seems to give me extra grip so I can keep my hands relaxed. And I usually putt with it on too....

:laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
With a glove I grip to tightly so I will never ever use one.Waste of money

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I play all 18 without taking my glove off. Once in a while I'll putt without it, but it just doesn't feel right.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.