• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NBC loses U.S. Open rights to Fox

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
There goes Johnny — NBC loses U.S. Open rights to Fox

http://blog.sfgate.com/ongolf/2013/08/07/there-goes-johnny-nbc-loses-u-s-open-rights-to-fox/

Johnny Miller, the ever-candid NBC golf analyst, might be losing his biggest platform — the U.S. Open.
Miller, a San Francisco native and World Golf Hall of Famer, became the game’s premier television voice largely by calling America’s national championship. But the USGA announced today that it has reached agreement with Fox Sports on a 12-year contract to televise the U.S. Open and other USGA championships starting in 2015.
ablog.sfgate.com_ongolf_files_2013_08_miller_july2013_300x215.jpg
Johnny Miller, shown above at last month’s U.S. Senior Open in Omaha, is NBC’s longtime golf analyst. (Getty photo)
Miller’s contract with NBC runs through ’15. He told the Associated Press it’s unlikely he would move to Fox even if the network offered him the chance.
Also worth noting: Miller, who turned 66 in April, has become more involved in his role as part of the ownership group at Silverado Resort in Napa. The PGA Tour recently announced that Silverado will host next year’s Frys.com Open.
“It was a big bummer,” Miller told AP of the USGA’s new deal with Fox. “For some reason, I told (colleague) Dan Hicks at the U.S. Open this year, ‘I don’t think we’re going to keep the Open.’ I just had a hunch it would be ESPN or Fox that stepped in and made a high bid. I know we tried.
“I feel bad for the USGA in a way that money was more important than basically a good golf crew.”
NBC’s final broadcast of the U.S. Open will come next year from Pinehurst, N.C. Fox will make its Open debut in 2015 at Chambers Bay outside Seattle — and is in line to carry the 2019 Open from Pebble Beach.
“This is an exciting and remarkable day for the USGA, as our partnership with Fox Sports is a game-changer for our organization and for the game of golf,” USGA president Glen D. Nager said in press release announcing the agreement.
“The game is evolving and requires bold and unique approaches on many levels, and Fox shares our vision to seek fresh thinking and innovative ideas to deliver championship golf. This partnership will help us to better lead and serve the game in new and exciting ways.”

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.