• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NCAA BASKETBALL

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Wisconsin has a team this year. 1 point loss in OT to Kansas and a couple point loss to Wake Forest (both were undefeated) but just gave Maryland it's first loss. Big Ten is kicking butt.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Long way to go, it’s not even Christmas yet. A lot of snow will fall between now and March.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Oregon State's women got to the final four back in 2016. The men made it to the elite 8 in 2021. Other than that they're not historically great teams which is fine with me since, of all the sports, basketball is my least favorite.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Our university football team won the Big 12 championship and is headed to the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama.

Women's basketball is currently ranked #24 in the Div 1 rankings.

Men's basketball is currently tied with Kansas leading the Big 12. Men's basketball coach is in his first year, here. Seems to have really motivated a bunch of scrubs left over from the previous coach.

Honestly, I don't follow college sports. Lots of chatter about the current successes around the golf course clubhouse. Of course, nothing but sports on the two big screens in the clubhouse.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I watched TCU lose to you guys.
The TCU quarterback should get the Heisman. He put everything he had into that game. Had a 9-hour heart operation not that long before the season.
K-State has a great coach. Klieman won three Div II national championships in four years as head coach at North Dakota State. Was hired, here, for the 2019 season. In his four years he is 30-19. Lifetime as head coach... NDS and KSU... he's 102-32.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Too early to think about Basketball, when KU is playing in their first Bowl game in 14 years.

Although their basketball team has started off pretty well so far.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Too early to think about Basketball, when KU is playing in their first Bowl game in 14 years.

Although their basketball team has started off pretty well so far.
KU has made a startling turnaround in football. It's way past due. Leipold had done a tremendous job... and his new contract has rewarded him for it. The last time they looked this good was under Mangino.
If Self will tolerate the football program gaining almost as much attention as the bb program, the future competition between KU and KSU could become interesting.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
KU has made a startling turnaround in football. It's way past due. Leipold had done a tremendous job... and his new contract has rewarded him for it. The last time they looked this good was under Mangino.
If Self will tolerate the football program gaining almost as much attention as the bb program, the future competition between KU and KSU could become interesting.
Agreed on Leipold being the best since Mangino, biggest mistake they ever made running him out of town for being to rough on a backup TE. Just glad they didn't lose Leipold to the Wisconsin vacancy since that is where he grew up. Off season recruiting could be a lot better with a winning record, Bowl Game, and now that they extended his contract.

It was also pretty funny when Self was on the College Gameday in Lawrence. Self said Kansas is a Basketball school then paused (caught some gasps and even some boos) then said no reason they can't be a football school also. Before pointing out the last time KU was in a Bowl Game (Orange Bowl), Kansas also won the Championship that year.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Agreed on Leipold being the best since Mangino, biggest mistake they ever made running him out of town for being to rough on a backup TE. Just glad they didn't lose Leipold to the Wisconsin vacancy since that is where he grew up. Off season recruiting could be a lot better with a winning record, Bowl Game, and now that they extended his contract.

It was also pretty funny when Self was on the College Gameday in Lawrence. Self said Kansas is a Basketball school then paused (caught some gasps and even some boos) then said no reason they can't be a football school also. Before pointing out the last time KU was in a Bowl Game (Orange Bowl), Kansas also won the Championship that year.
Bill Self came to KU in 2003. Mangino was just beginning to build a good football team. In 2007, Mangino was named Coach of the Year along with other awards. I was riding an airport shuttle to the KC airport and happened to sit beside a local, well known, sports writer/commentator. When I mentioned Mangino's success, he said Mangino would not be at KU much longer. I was surprised and asked what was going on. He said Bill Self would not stand to have a football team get more publicity... and money... than his basketball program. Wasn't too long after that the pushing/punching of a player came up and Mangino was gone. Self, of course, is still there.

This sports writer had said KU would never be "allowed" a national acclaimed football program as long as Self was there. He also said KSU would never be "allowed" an acclaimed basketball program as long as Snyder was here. Sorta looks like he was correct.

Self ran afoul of the media when he was sanctioned by the NCAA. Leipold's success has taken some of the attention away from Self's issues. Will be interesting if Leipold gets the KU program drawing raves... and lots more monetary donations... if Self will sit still.

KSU saw some good bb coaches pushed out during Snyder's regime. And, they saw some really bad hires. Snyder's gone. The hire of Tang has the KSU basketball fans excited. He is an awesome recruiter as proven when he was at Baylor. I don't see Klieman being as aggressive in "protecting his territory" as was Snyder.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Bill Self came to KU in 2003. Mangino was just beginning to build a good football team. In 2007, Mangino was named Coach of the Year along with other awards. I was riding an airport shuttle to the KC airport and happened to sit beside a local, well known, sports writer/commentator. When I mentioned Mangino's success, he said Mangino would not be at KU much longer. I was surprised and asked what was going on. He said Bill Self would not stand to have a football team get more publicity... and money... than his basketball program. Wasn't too long after that the pushing/punching of a player came up and Mangino was gone. Self, of course, is still there.

This sports writer had said KU would never be "allowed" a national acclaimed football program as long as Self was there. He also said KSU would never be "allowed" an acclaimed basketball program as long as Snyder was here. Sorta looks like he was correct.

Self ran afoul of the media when he was sanctioned by the NCAA. Leipold's success has taken some of the attention away from Self's issues. Will be interesting if Leipold gets the KU program drawing raves... and lots more monetary donations... if Self will sit still.

KSU saw some good bb coaches pushed out during Snyder's regime. And, they saw some really bad hires. Snyder's gone. The hire of Tang has the KSU basketball fans excited. He is an awesome recruiter as proven when he was at Baylor. I don't see Klieman being as aggressive in "protecting his territory" as was Snyder.
Interesting, and I can kind of see that happening. Although hopefully 19 years and winning 2 National Championships could change a person's perspective.

Was it Chuck Woodling by chance? If you say Kansas sports Writer/Commentator from back then, him and Max Falkenstein are the two that immediately pop to mind. Probably Woodling for Writing and Falkenstein for Commentating.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Was Mitch, current voice of the Chiefs. He had spent some time in the 90's as the sports commentator at KSU.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Was Mitch, current voice of the Chiefs. He had spent some time in the 90's as the sports commentator at KSU.
He started for the KC Chiefs a couple years after we moved to PA in '92.

I will say I was glad they moved the KU vs KSU to the last game of the season in football. While most people thought that was the biggest rivalry for KU, it was usually KU vs MU while I was there due to the circumstances.

A lot of bad blood when MU moved on from the Big 12. Making yesterdays basketball game so much more sweet for me. :)

I have always still held respect for KSU, as did my wife as she was the dark sheep in her family going to KU over where most of her family went at KSU. I have always hated MU

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
He started for the KC Chiefs a couple years after we moved to PA in '92.

I will say I was glad they moved the KU vs KSU to the last game of the season in football. While most people thought that was the biggest rivalry for KU, it was usually KU vs MU while I was there due to the circumstances.

A lot of bad blood when MU moved on from the Big 12. Making yesterdays basketball game so much more sweet for me. :)

I have always still held respect for KSU, as did my wife as she was the dark sheep in her family going to KU over where most of her family went at KSU. I have always hated MU
You mean you didn't like "Stormin' Norman"??

🔥 Latest posts