• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need a bike

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I know we have some bicycles here so I need some opinions. Been focusing on getting into some sort of manageable shape and been riding a recumbent bike since short after Christmas.

Daughter and wife have mountain bikes and I'd like to join them riding this summer. Nothing hard core, mainly street and mild off road trails-bike trails that are flat and well maintained. Not hard core mountain bike trails.

Checked out Dicks and been looking online. Craigslist is no help around me. Trying to find a bike that is sturdy to hold my fat self while getting back into shape. What are some brands or styles I should look into? What's a 29er? Any websites I should check out?

I've browsed some forums and I know the sky's the limit for prices. I'd like to keep it under $400.

So thoughts? Thanks!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have two bikes. Both Specialized brand. One is a road bike (Specialized Roubiax). It is in the endurance category ((ie more comfortable for long road rides). My other bike is flat bar commuter. I have as much fun on the flat bar (perhaps more). Given the type of riding you said, I'd suggest you check out some flat bar commuters (across the brands). They will be quicker (ie. easier to pedal) than mountain bikes and hybrids. If you're only riding sealed roads and well maintained dirt roads/tracks, you don't need suspension. Cyclocross bikes don't have suspension and they go through worse conditions then you're contemplating. So, my recommendation? A good second hand flat bar commuter.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
The first thing you need to determine Jim is what type of riding you plan on doing. Will be 100% on street and path? fire/dirt roads? do you have many hills in your area? Once you settle that a bike recommendation will be easier. In respect to Dick's, Nishiki and Diamondback bikes are pretty decent for the casual rider.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The first thing you need to determine Jim is what type of riding you plan on doing. Will be 100% on street and path? fire/dirt roads? do you have many hills in your area? Once you settle that a bike recommendation will be easier. In respect to Dick's, Nishiki and Diamondback bikes are pretty decent for the casual rider.
It will be mostly road riding around town, relatively flat. Occasionally we will ride on a well kept dirt road, minimal hills. I don't plan on doing any X Game type riding, no tricks, no hard core runs up or down a mountainside. Its pretty casual riding actually.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Then a flat bar road bike or hybrid like TTR said is the bike. Have any idea what your budget is? Next is to get properly fitted for the right size bike.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Jim, I've just taken an impromptu photo of my bike for your reference.

Aluminium with carbon forks.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Flat bar commuter or cyclocross would be perfect.

A 29er is a mountain bike with 29" wheels (roughly the same size as a road bike wheel) supposed to roll over obstacles better and what not.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1427061248.097202.jpg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Aluminum obviously can be a little lighter than steel but the ride more often than not is a bit harsher. I would go with steel, but steel is harder to find in a hybrid. My main ride is a mid 80's Ross Mt. St. Helens which is one of the early hybrids. Bikes Direst often has great deals and free shipping. That bike you linked has the lowest grade of equipment you can find.

Save Up To 60 Off Road Bikes Bicycles Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com New with full warranties

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Another option that makes a great street bike is an older full rigid mountain bike with street tires. The bikes are indestructible, cheap, and easy to work on. My other bike is a Diamondback Trail Streak that I did just this. As a matter of fact my wife and boys all have mid 80's to early 90's mountain bikes set up for street riding.

Here are some threads on it over at www.bikeforums.net .

Bike Forums

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
It's alright for a mountain bike. I'm in the "you don't need a suspension fork on the street" camp, but a lot of people like them. I think they add un-needed weight and take away from peddling efficiency.

🔥 Latest posts