• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need a drill...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So my BIGGEST issue with my swing is the start of the backswing. I tend to yank the club WAY inside on my takeaway, this leads to me having to make a HUGE over the top move to be able to start my downswing. I bet you can just imagine what my ballflight looks like. With a driver on a bad day it goes beyond banana ball and is more like a boomerang. I know this is killing my distance and accuracy so I need a drill to help me keep the club from getting to far inside on the takeaway. Any suggestions?

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
oh i can't wait to see the drills. your swing must look alot like mine

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Take a tee and a golf ball. Tee up the ball about 1 ft or so behind the ball that you intend to hit. Slightly inside of your intended take back line. Then practice taking the club back without hitting the ball off of the tee. The other thing is to get tall on your backswing. This means that you have your hands finish high, and then drop them into the downswing. This will give you the inside out move while fixing some of your deep inside take away. Hope these help.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Anything I have is just going to be a different version of what floggerushmd said. I use a shaft on for my alignment and just take the club straight back on that line. If you want to get extreme, put a shaft in the ground or your stand bag behind you, swing outside of it on the backswing and inside of it on the downswing.

Actually, just look at the thread with VJ's pic that Sandpiper put up earlier in the hack section. There is a shaft behind him and that's what he's doing with it. It looks a lot closer to him than it really is.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Yo Jim

I feel your pain. I have struggled also. When it gets to a bad situation on the course I purposely put a hitch in my swing. Right at hip high I pause and make sure I am in the proper postion to continue. This includes making sure toe is up. Club parallel to the ground and target line and hips and chest turned.

Sounds complicated but if you practice this position it really becomes second nature.

After the pause I continue and OTT is a minor issue.

The pause is not as pronounced as SIR CHARLES BACKLEY's nor as hilarious. As you get better at the position the pause becomes less and less.

blackxpress

May 12, 2008
floggerushmd's drill worked well for me. Another one is the stand bag drill. Set up a stand bag beside your right hip (RH golfer) and practice taking the club back without hitting the bag. Then you can move the bag to the left side and practice hitting the ball without hitting the bag. The first time I tried it I hit the bag so hard I knocked it over and nearly broke my club. That's how bad my over the top move was. Now I can hit the ball every time and never hit the bag.

juniortodd46

Never Satisfied
Apr 19, 2008
Dunno how good it is but VJ says he tries to keep the club face facing the ball as long as possible. It's helped me keep from yanking the club inside on the takeaway.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Read the following post that is linked and the one after it, they may help if you work it into your preshot routine. The first was from a playing lesson with the pro by Chris Demarco, the second was a quote for Jack Nicklaus from "Golf My Way". The was also more later in the thread talking about it more

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/16432-do-you-intentionally-roll-your-hands-2.html#post187368

... another consideration based on that thread and was when the same instance happened to me. It was when I had switched over to a one plane swing unknowingly, yet still did other things in relation to a two plane. I would have someone look or videotape to see if you are using one or two planes on your swing.

🔥 Latest posts