• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need a little help...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
First week at work and I managed to get to the range at lunch twice so far, (my new job is less than 10 mins drive!) :laugh:.

I am working on implementing two moves.

Move 1: By SLOWLY dropping the left shoulder down instead of around and by extending my backswing (really feeling the stretch and resistance in the left shoulder blade), I feel that I am getting into a much more powerful trigger position.

Move 2: This one is going to take some work. One of my weaknesses is not driving my legs through quickly enough. At impact my hips are square to the ball. I would like my hips to be past impact and already starting to face towards the target at impact to create lag. I am trying to whip my hips through by focusing on sliding my left butt check back and round away from the target. Again I feel that there is some level of success here.

Good news, I have virtually eliminated a hook. And I KILLED the ball this weekend, probably one of my best ball striking games ever. I know I am onto something. HOWEVER. My weak shot is now a block. Still getting good distance but blocking maybe 20-30 yards, more consistently than I would like.

I know it could be alignment, could be getting ahead of the ball (instead of keeping my head behind the ball) but I am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Those blocks come from "getting stuck". This happens a LOT when you start messing with the timing of the hips. And as you described that your hips are facing the ball at impact, instead of opening to the target, it sounds like a nice block position to me.

Just work on "letting go" with the arms. Don't do anything conscious with them. Get to the top, and your first move is with the hips. When your left hip starts going toward the target and turning to the left, it'll naturally bring your arms down to the hitting position without any conscious effort.

In 5 lessons (if you have it/have read it) think of the picture with Hogan's left hip connected to a bungy cord(s) and the tension at the top of the swing. Then all you have to do is let the "bungy-tension" pull your hip around. Your arms will follow naturally. Your hips will be open to the target line and square your clubface at the same time. If you let it happen.

If you don't feel you can "let go" yet, you can always try the "wipe-connect-wipe" move that that YouTube instructor from Canada recommended. It's a really good drill for getting your hips to do the right thing.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Cheers A for the feedback

In 5 lessons (if you have it/have read it) think of the picture with Hogan's left hip connected to a bungy cord(s) and the tension at the top of the swing. Then all you have to do is let the "bungy-tension" pull your hip around. Your arms will follow naturally. Your hips will be open to the target line and square your clubface at the same time. If you let it happen.

Good image to work on, thanks. Must check that page. I have that book in my bedside locker.

If you don't feel you can "let go" yet, you can always try the "wipe-connect-wipe" move that that YouTube instructor from Canada recommended. It's a really good drill for getting your hips to do the right thing.

That's what I am trying to do by sliding my left butt check back and round away from the target. I guess I need to sync my timing. I am far from uphappy with all this. These are not major blocks all the time. JUst the odd one or two but they are still solid shots.

🔥 Latest posts