• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need a little help

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm going to switch the shafts in my TM SLDRs from KBS C-Taper 90 shafts to Nippon Modus NS Pro. I have everything prepped and ready to go. But here's the problem.

The new shafts are 0.335 and the old ones are 0.350. It's only a small difference but the head slightly rattles round in the hosel. The epoxy I'm sure will take care of that, but I want them to fit snugly in.

So I need shims but don't have any and it will take weeks to order them in. I was planning on making my own by cutting up a beer can into small rectangular strips. I'm planning to use three strips per shaft and epoxy them onto the shaft tip and then on into the hosel. I need to rough up the metal first with some sandpaper.

Am I mental? Any advice, please?

Thanks guys.
IG

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I'm going to switch the shafts in my TM SLDRs from KBS C-Taper 90 shafts to Nippon Modus NS Pro. I have everything prepped and ready to go. But here's the problem.

The new shafts are 0.335 and the old ones are 0.350. It's only a small difference but the head slightly rattles round in the hosel. The epoxy I'm sure will take care of that, but I want them to fit snugly in.

So I need shims but don't have any and it will take weeks to order them in. I was planning on making my own by cutting up a beer can into small rectangular strips. I'm planning to use three strips per shaft and epoxy them onto the shaft tip and then on into the hosel. I need to rough up the metal first with some sandpaper.

Am I mental? Any advice, please?

Thanks guys.
IG

Sanity is so relative...

I say have a go and report back. Just swing it a lot. Alone. Away from anything of value. That includes the wife and kids. Feel free to invite the in-laws over to tell you if your swing looks OK while you swing it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It's aluminum and closes the gap? I say go fer it.

It's either going to be too thick, in which, it won't work at all. Too thin, and it will still be wobbly. Or just right. A piece of aluminuminuminum isn't going to cause problems with properly mixed and applied epoxy, so I wouldn't worry too much about the heads flying off.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Message PaPaD and see what he says. Personally, I would wait for the proper shims... made for the application. I'd be a little leery about the three strips of aluminum. But, that's me. If there is any question at all in your mind, you are probably making a mistake. If every time you swing a club your subconscious wonders if the head will fly off... your game is toast. Golf is 90% mental and the other 20% is all in your head. :>) Is toying with the mind worth the inconvenience of waiting for the correct shims?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Do you have any shafting beads? That could help. I’ve also seen people use the drywall tape, the mesh kind, and that seems to work well. Don’t see why the cans wouldn’t work other than being a huge pita cutting them.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
If you empty enough beer cans before you start cutting them
Chances are the right shims will show up faster

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
The typical thickness of a beer can is .004". Slightly thicker towards the top and bottom.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was all set to go with the homemade shims on Friday night. I had sanded them, cut them up and was setting up a mini production line. I went to put a ferrule on and guess what, it wouldn't fit. I checked my order, it was right, but when these things come from China (or wherever), I guess the tolerances are always a bit out. I was going to try and drill them and then I thought what the hell am I doing?

Long story short. I bottled it and glued back in the original shafts, which I gamed today (and they were fine). I'll look around for a set of old heads on the 'Bay that I can play with. I'm just keen on trying out the Nippon shafts, that's all. I'll order up shims/sleeves as well as new ferrules. I've got the bug to tinker and build up some stuff.

Thanks for all your input.

🔥 Latest posts