• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need a measurement favor

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I ordered a set of irons and I'm pretty sure they are tipped incorrectly. The shafts are d-gold stiff S300. I'm hoping someone out there has a set of irons with standard length S300 shafts. I think these S300 shafts were tip cut to make them even stiffer than the stock stiff flex. On my PW it's 4-1/2" from where the steel on the clubhead starts to where the first "notch" is in the shaft. I measured to the where the hosel steel starts, not the black farrel. On my 5-iron this same measurement is 7" exactly. Could someone measure theirs... pretty please?? :D I'm no club builder so I need a little input here. Thanks in advance guys.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If you go to the DG website, and I know this from experience, they have a place where you can measure the step patterns to help determine which shaft you have. This might help you in your situation. I would gladly measure my sticks for you, but I don't have any at the moment. They should have the measurements from tip to first step, 2nd step, etc...

Hope this helps.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
See attached.

R35
DYNAMIC GOLD TAPER.jpg

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I ordered a set of irons and I'm pretty sure they are tipped incorrectly. The shafts are d-gold stiff S300. I'm hoping someone out there has a set of irons with standard length S300 shafts. I think these S300 shafts were tip cut to make them even stiffer than the stock stiff flex. On my PW it's 4-1/2" from where the steel on the clubhead starts to where the first "notch" is in the shaft. I measured to the where the hosel steel starts, not the black farrel. On my 5-iron this same measurement is 7" exactly. Could someone measure theirs... pretty please?? :D I'm no club builder so I need a little input here. Thanks in advance guys.

Keep in mind there are a lot of other variables that will go into how stiff a shaft plays beyond just tip trimming. Without building each club from scratch and using a frequency machine to determine the exact flex for a given playing length, head weight, and tip trim you would simply be guessing. DG shafts are all sorted by weight, so they are not frequency matched from the get go. They are usually close in terms of flex, but can be off on a shaft to shaft basis. So many other things could be at works here beyond a simple tip trimming error.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
Thanks for the replies, I just found that PDF myself. For anyone curious, you can find the identifying True Temper charts at:
True Temper : The #1 Shaft in Golf

Hopefully I'm reading it right, but the chart tells you how far from the first notch to cut it to achieve a certain flex. If I want to have a standard S flex on my 5 iron (~38.0") I have to cut the bottom end off 9.0" from the first notch/step. My 5 iron is 7.0" exactly so it's pretty close to an X flex. What doesn't make sense is my 36" PW is only 4.5" from the first step, which is stiffer than an X flex. Can you say HOLY BROOMSTICK SHAFT BATMAN? It appears my short irons are extremely stiff and the longer the shaft the closer to an X flex it gets. I had a builder look at my 7 iron and on the wall chart test with weight attached it was flexing like a 3X. So regardless if they were trying to match shafts for swing weight they don't even come close to a standard S flex. Based on the extra weight of the shaft by trimming them shorter on the tip my swing weight would be way off. All you have to do is look at how thick the shaft is by the hosel to realize something isn't right. When I made the change to these my ball flight dropped a good 10-15 degrees and I lost about 11 yards per club. Either way I need to get fitted and build proper clubs now. The charts may only be a general guideline but mine are so stiff they aren't even on the charts.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Make sure you know whether your irons have taper tip shafts or parallel tip shafts. The Dynamic Golds are made in both configurations. And... the step pattern is different between the two.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Are you hoping for the same length tip on each iron or something?

Of course the PW is going to have a shorter distance from the top of the hosel to the first step. (Assuming parrallel tip) The PW plays shorter than a 3-iron. So the cut has to come somewhere. Secondly, the PW head is MUCH heavier than a 3-iron head, so that is why TT has you cut more tip off.

The only way to determine, for sure, your club flexes is to throw them on the frequency machine and see what kind of a slope comes out.

The slope for your irons will be "pretty close" if whoever built them followed TT's recommended tipping. That's because iron heads are 7 grams different pretty consistently. So unless you add a bunch of weight to a club, the set should slope pretty close.

Is it the correct flex for you? Only fitting will tell you that.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
Agreed. I have found a couple places within an hour or two that can do correct frequency and slope measurements. The funny thing is I shouldn't even be playing S300 shafts based on my speed and rhythm. If you listen to the average pro shop they'll sell you anything off the rack like it's custom fit. The only thing custom fit was how perfectly they took the money from your billfold lol. I'm learning!

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Tom Wishon Golf Technology

That is a link to the clubfitter locator on Wishon's website. If they have the skills to want to list their services on Wishon's site, they are probably pretty good.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
Way ahead of you, I actually already talked to Tom about his clubs and found a local guy to help me build some demo clubs. :)

🔥 Latest posts