• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need a new driver shaft

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and would like advice on a new shaft. I currently have a J33R 460 in 9.5* with a Speeder 757 S flex but I believe this is too much shaft for me! A typical miss is either a block or a snap hook, and for a solid shot the flight is a fade (only a few yards). I don't have a problem getting the Speeder in the air, but it doesn't feel like the shaft really gets loaded during my swing. Last time my swing speed was measured it was right around 100 with a smoothish tempo. The shafts I was looking at were the Graman ul440 or ul540, as I have only heard good things about these, but I am not sure of the flex I should be using. I believe LyleG uses a Graman in Regular flex? Any help would be appreciated guys.:)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
At 100 mph you're borderline reg/stiff flex. I play a stiff NVS at 250 cpm and sssmokin plays a reg flex ProLaunch at the same cpm. Different shaft companies ratings can be confusing. That shaft might be too stiff for you but another one (UL440) might not. How much money do you want to spend? The hottest shaft out now seems to be the Aldila VS Proto and with my 105 ss (hard loading swing) I'm getting it in stiff. LyleG says it should play similar to my NVS stiff. Another shaft that smooth swingers seem to really like in here is the Graphite Design YS-6+. You could play stiff in that I would think. If money was no object ($250+) the Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard would be my choice. If you could get on a launch monitor somewhere and try a few of these you might find your favorite. Stay away from the UST ProForce V2 though with a smooth swing. :D

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have played shafts ranging from soft R flex to my current shaft which is pretty much a full blown X flex. The only difference I find in going soft is that I hit the ball higher and pay the piper when I get quick. A smooth tempo player can always get away with a softer flex and increase distance.

My current shaft is a ul780 tipped 1 inch. It comes in at 257 cpm and is very tip stiff. I am hitting this combo very well so far this year. A winter of beating balls, daily stretching routine and working out has done wonders for my swing speed. I am consistantly in the 110-113 range this year and the ul780 can handle every bit of it.

For a 100 mph and smooth look for a shaft rated for 90-100, or even 85-95. This should give you a very good combo of distance and control.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
At the moment I don't have a lot of money, most of mine must go toward car insurance and gas. :( I was looking for something for $60 or less but maybe up to $70, which is why I was looking at the Gramans. I also love the color! :laugh: Several of my friends have V2s and I can't hit them at all! Never tried a YS 6, though. Thanks Lyle, I will probably look for a Regular flex now.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The 440 is a great shaft for a smooth swinger, it is quite light however.

The 540 is a bit pricier and a bit stouter in the tip section. Something around 240cpm would be perfect for you, in either shaft. Depending on where you get it from you should have np problem getting one at this number.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd be willing to bet that head is to blame as much as the shaft. The J33 is on the "player" side of the spectrum. In other words there are a few hundred drivers more forgiving out there and about 8 that are less. :laugh:

So the driver is long and workable but at the expense of magnifying all swing flaws considerably. A stock fade on a well struck shot could be the result of a square to open face on the driver head.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I chose the J33R because it has the open face. Almost all other drivers I have tried have resulted in a rather large hook. The Bridgestone is one of the few that I could hit a fade with. I hit irons and fairways with a soft draw, but it seemed to be a hook with any driver besides the Bridgestone.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I chose the J33R because it has the open face. Almost all other drivers I have tried have resulted in a rather large hook. The Bridgestone is one of the few that I could hit a fade with. I hit irons and fairways with a soft draw, but it seemed to be a hook with any driver besides the Bridgestone.

The entire J33 line is like this.
It is why I play the hybrid.
It is also why I sold the 3W ;)

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think I will try the Graman for now as it fall comfortably into my price range. Probably will get the 540, but does anyone know the best place to purchase one at 240cpm? :confused:

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
My ss is similar to yours , I would say to go for s flex 540.

I reshafted an Adams 460 dual with a 233 cpm (R) Limey pulled from a Geek FS. I found the shaft too soft despite already being tipped once by the previous owner. I tipped it another 3/4" and it feels pretty good now.

Or, If you get an R flex cut it a little long ... just in case.

Also, apparently the limeys are coming out in a limited edition finishes that are susposed to look similar to the Fuji Vista Tour shafts. :idhitit:.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
MIKE, I'm right there with you on the swingspeed and I think it can be a touch SS to get the right shaft for becuase it is on just about every manufacturer's R/S cusp. In the last year I've really started looking seriously at my equipment and finding what is best for me. I've found that a slightly firmer shaft (245cpm) at 44" with a heavier swingweight (D4) gives me the best results.

I've been playing a NV in the driver for a while but it is currently getting a VS Proto put in it. I went with the R and am getting it tipped a bit. I can't weight to give it a go!

I'd be willing to bet that head is to blame as much as the shaft. The J33 is on the "player" side of the spectrum. In other words there are a few hundred drivers more forgiving out there and about 8 that are less. :laugh:

So the driver is long and workable but at the expense of magnifying all swing flaws considerably. A stock fade on a well struck shot could be the result of a square to open face on the driver head.

The entire J33 line is like this.
It is why I play the hybrid.
It is also why I sold the 3W ;)

This is what I've read and heard about this line but I'm completely baffled. I'm a good ball striker wrt sweet spot hits but I sometimes struggle getting the face closed at impact. What baffles me is that I hit the J33 3W better and more consistent than I've hit any 3W in my life - this shouldn't be the case. Something about this head just is so confidence inspiring for me; I love it!

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think I will buy the 540 from myclubmaker.com. If I get a regular flex, how much would it need to be tipped to play at 240cpm? What would a stiff flex's cpm be? Thanks for any help. :)

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I think I will buy the 540 from myclubmaker.com. If I get a regular flex, how much would it need to be tipped to play at 240cpm? What would a stiff flex's cpm be? Thanks for any help. :)

Considering every manufacturer is different as to what constitutes stiff/regular and even within their own line, it would be best to see where that specific shaft comes in at and then talk with your club builder to go from there.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada

Mike,

Call myclubmaker and ask for Bryant. Tell him I told you to call, and ask him to find you a 540 that cpm's at 240. He should have no problem helping you out.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I prefer X stiff and a softer tip,and more loft,than reg stiffer tipped shafts

🔥 Latest posts