• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need a new driver ? :/

F1NCH

Jun 25, 2009
This is my first thread on shot talk :). I need a new driver for a competition i have in a few weeks time. I need sujestions for a mid handicap player which isn't too expensive ??

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
2 of the best drivers ever made that can be found for less than $100.

Cleveland Launcher 460 ti.

TM R580XD

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Maybe I am the exception here, but of the 3 times I switched drivers it took me at least 6 weeks to get use to any of them to the point were they were reliable. Probably more in relation the the different shaft or different club head design. The only that took less was my most recent and it was likely because it had the same shaft and roughly the same cosmetic design with more loft. It still took a couple weeks till I was comfortable.

I can't imagine I would ever try doing so a week or two before an important competition. When I bought the last one, I specifically waited several extra months to do so after Club Championship matches. I knew had I done so I likely would have had little confidence going into the matches.

If you still do, I can recommend both of my last 2 drivers. The Ping G2 or the Tour Edge Exotics, which can be had for fairly cheap. I think the G5 would likely be comparable as well. I would certainly look at the old Cleveland Launcher Comp as well. Considered going to it when I got the TEE, and kinda wished I had when I got the G2 after a short time.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've got to agree with Jayhawk here. No way I'd change drivers right before a pending event. Stick with what you have now and are comfortable with. The chances of you actually picking up that much distance with a new driver are pretty slim anyway. Unless of course you're playing some no name antique POS.

As far as suggestion, go to your local golf shop and demo as many of the used drivers they have on hand as they will allow. When you find one you like, negotiate on the price, tell them you saw that same exact one online for X amount of dollars and see if they will match it or get close.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I might have an FT-i for you in about a week, I'll sell you cheap lol

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've got several I can sell you cheap, if you want to buy without trying 1st, :D

Laser

Apr 29, 2009
Define " not too expensive. "

It's a relative term.

Lots of 2008 new drivers just went on sale for under $150 at various places.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
What kind of shape is it in and what shaft?

Matt,

Don't abandon me for this rubbish...I perform for you day in-day out with solid drives...and this is how you treat me?

Nothing but pulls and banana slices for you Good sir.

Sincerely,

Your R580XD-GD YS-6+ Combo.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Matt,

Don't abandon me for this rubbish...I perform for you day in-day out with solid drives...and this is how you treat me?

Nothing but pulls and banana slices for you Good sir.

Sincerely,

Your R580XD-GD YS-6+ Combo.

:biglol:

Message received loud and clear.

I was thinking of another YS-6+ for it though. :laugh:

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
Bridgestone j33r's can be had real cheap new. 3ballsgolf.com has 9.5* and 8.5* 420cc with NV shafts new for 99 bucks. You can get them on the bay for even less than that. This is a great club!

They have 3 version of the J33r (460cc, 420cc, an 380cc?). The smaller one is called the J33P. I personally prefer the smaller head. The 420cc is supposedly the liveliest of the bunch. The 460cc is more forgiving.

🔥 Latest posts