• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need advice! Help!

R

rkymtnhgh

I currently have a set of Nike forged blades which I like. The problem is, I had my swing analyzed and discovered that I should be playing a lightweight regular shaft instead of the stiff I have now. My driver swingspeed is 100mph, but was told that my transition to the downswing is smooth enough that there isn't much flex. I planned on having my blades refitted with custom shafts but the club fitter suggested that I go to a forged cavity back design since there's really no reason to play blades with today's cavity backs offering both workability and forgiveness. I'm about a 10 handicap and a pretty consistent ball-striker but I have to admit that I have to be really 'on' with my swing to play well with the Nikes.

The fitter suggested that I go with Wishon golf 550c forged cavity irons which can also be matched with 550m musclebacks in the scoring irons for a combo set. Some big brand competitors to the Wishons 550c available at the shop are the Mizuno MP-30s and the Titleist 690CBs. However the Wishons can be had for a lot less and only about 200 bucks more than the cost to have my Nikes custom fitted. So now I'm torn as to whether I should spring for some new clubs or stick with my blades and have them refit.

Sorry for the long post but it basically comes down to this:

1. Do today's forged cavity backs really offer both feel and workability and forgiveness? I could use some extra margin for error but I don't want my swing to get sloppy as a result.

2. Any opinions on the Wishon as compared to Mizuno or Titleist? The Wishons felt pretty good but I know nothing about them. I wonder if the cost difference is really just name-brand marleting or if I'm really getting what I pay for.

Thanks!!

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Firstly, welcome to the board!

Secondly, I think you should get with our man "stink crack" for a more workable screen name. ;)

Thirdly, I think you are a victime of overthinking. At a 10 handicap perhaps workabilty should take precedence over forgiveness.

I have hit several different Wishon 7 irons (that's another story) and they are without question, superb. If I were you, I'd think about sticking with the Nike's and MAYBE just reshaft them. On the other hand, my handicap is nearly into triple digits so take my advice for what it's worth......just don't overthink it. ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
RockyMountainHigh (that's my guess at the user name).

Having just switched to a set of Mp-33's, I fully understand your dilema. I liked the idea of forgiveness with my old set (X-16 Pro Series), but the feel and workability of the blade just drew me in.

The combo set is a good idea. But, if you're playing to a 10 handicap, you obviously have some skills with the sticks.

If you like the Nike's, just have them refitted with a different shaft like an R300 Lite or an XT-90 regular. Even try out one shaft in your 7 iron and give it a ago. This might give you some insight into what would work better for your setup.

Does your clubmaker have some Wishon's made up to demo? If so, grab a few combinations and go to town. Then, eliminating one by one, get the set that fits your eye, allows the best ball flight and brings your game together.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Be carfull what you wish for, and be prepared for some adjustment. I put the CB's back in play for the first time today and the "stiff" sensicore shaft felt like a noodle compared to the DG S300 that are in my blades.

I'm all for analysis and measurement and stuff, but nothing beats banging some balls around. If I were you I'd keep the blades in the bag (as I am going to do - the CB's are in this week because VT is currently under 29 feet of water). I'd try some other irons with the lightweight shaft first before throwing them in those irons of yours also.

Rockford - what do you think of the DG S300 (I am assuming that is what is in your MP-33)... I have it in my macs, but am longing for the dynalite. Don't really wanna drop a few hundred to put them in there though :)

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I have the Dynalite S300s in my MX-23s. Boy, does that ball ever get up in the air easily. Granted, I haven't spent a lot of time comparing them to other shafts, but they feel pretty sweet compared to my old R80s in my TM Firesoles. For what it's worth, I like 'em.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I find the regular DG300's a little less "responsive" in terms of longer irons, but the forged head more than makes up for the difference. The Sensicore, although an extremely simple addition, does do wonders in terms of lessening the sting of a poorly struck shot. If I had a choice, i'd go with the Sensicore.

I've actually toyed with the idea of swapping out the regulars for Sensicore.....is that considered ho'ing? ;)

R35

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
I had a set of Mizuno T-Zoids with Dynamic Gold Sensicores in them before.

Not only does the Sensicore make the clubs heavier I also felt that alot of the feedback and feels were eliminated from the clubs. I personally don't like it.

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
If you feel that you are hitting your Nikes just fine then you should just stick with it. I've had several people trying to get into my head about playing blades so they can sell another set of clubs.

Demo some clubs with shafts that you were fitted it for, compare to your current clubs and just go from there.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
CKGuY914 said:
I had a set of Mizuno T-Zoids with Dynamic Gold Sensicores in them before.

Not only does the Sensicore make the clubs heavier I also felt that alot of the feedback and feels were eliminated from the clubs. I personally don't like it.

Strange, I feel the exact opposite. My Sensicores were much more responsive. And the forged heads on my Mp-33's are forsure the direct weight change. These things weigh a ton compared to my X-16 Pros, and they have the regular DGS300's in them.

T-Zoids you say? I hit a few of them in the shop last fall, I didn't rank them the same in terms of feel compared to the Mp-33's. They were equipped with regular DGS300's too...

But I bet shafts in different heads can create a completely different feel for every combo, and for every golfer.

Still, interesting tho...

R35

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
Yeah, no doubt T-Zoid can't compare to blades when it comes to those pure feelings wise.

My personal observations come from owning 2 sets of T-Zoid Pros w/ Dynamic Gold S300 with and without Sensicore and T-Zoid True blades without Sensicore.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
rockford35 said:
I find the regular DG300's a little less "responsive" in terms of longer irons, but the forged head more than makes up for the difference. The Sensicore, although an extremely simple addition, does do wonders in terms of lessening the sting of a poorly struck shot. If I had a choice, i'd go with the Sensicore.

I've actually toyed with the idea of swapping out the regulars for Sensicore.....is that considered ho'ing? ;)

R35

The thing with sensicore (unless you get the DG300 with sensicore) they are pretty light. My TA7's are super light compared to the Macs with the standard DG.

I have also noticed that the sensicore gives me a springy kind of response, kinda like a trampoline affect after impact. Maybe I was just getting used to the harsh feedback of my forged set ;)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
rockymtn...

I agree fully that you should get rid of the nike blades in favor of CBs. Only out of loyalty to the board and as a favor to you, PM me for my address and you can send them to me. That's just the kind of guys we are around here.

Or, you could keep them, especially since they seem to have worked well enough to get you down to a 10?

;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
CKGuY914 said:
My personal observations come from owning 2 sets of T-Zoid Pros w/ Dynamic Gold S300 with and without Sensicore and T-Zoid True blades without Sensicore.

CK,

Did you swap out the shafts or have two different sets? And, if you swapped, why?

VT,

The DG with Sensicore are only 3 grams lighter than that of the regular DG S300's. I've thought of swapping out my DG's for Lite's. Any thoughts?

R35

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
1st of set T-Zoid Pro w/ Sensicore

traded the set in for a set of T-Zoid True w/o Sensicore

traded the Trues in for another set of Pros w/o Sensicore

CKGuY914

simplicity vs complexity
Apr 8, 2005
VtDivot said:
The thing with sensicore (unless you get the DG300 with sensicore) they are pretty light. My TA7's are super light compared to the Macs with the standard DG.

I have also noticed that the sensicore gives me a springy kind of response, kinda like a trampoline affect after impact. Maybe I was just getting used to the harsh feedback of my forged set ;)

well if you're comparing the shafts with different sets of club heads it is obvious that the weight is not going to be consistent, you should try your set of TA7 versus another set of TA7 w/o sensicore

eliminating the harsh feedbacks kinda defeats the purpose when people say they prefer blades over CBs due to the feedback it gives from bad swings so they know when they're swinging bad

Dynalites are made lighter by making the shaft itself thinner in material. I don't know about you, but I'd rather play regular Dynamic Golds over the Lites that are made thinner.

It's like those diet soft drinks (diet Coke, diet Dr Pepper etc), they all advertise that it's the same great taste just less the fat, but in reality do they really taste the same? And with the shafts: Same playability just less the weight, do they really play the same?

Members online

No members online now.