• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need advice on club selection, please.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
That's your penalty.

Pick up your ball and head to HD. Add two strokes too. :D

R35

You can tell Rock is married yet. Thats not the penalty. The repair just takes the edge off of the anger. You will be paying for THAT a lot longer than the trip to HD and the repair time. I am guessing it will be a minimum of two weeks before your debt is payed assuming you do a good job on the repair. If she can tell where you fixed the wall, it will be pointed out every time she thinks you screw up until you sell the house. :laugh:

Sometimes, 2 stroke penalties are better than the alternative. :D

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Great advice and some humor thrown in for free!
I think I'm gonna' like it here!!!:ugly25:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Tim is so wrong.

I suggest getting a ruling by some buddies at the local watering hole. However, if the driving range is closed when you get back, it's not my fault.

:D

R35

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Tim is so wrong.

I suggest getting a ruling by some buddies at the local watering hole. However, if the driving range is closed when you get back, it's not my fault.

:D

R35
If I go down to the local watering hole...
The driving range might not be the only thing closed when I get back!!!!!!
"Move over little dog, 'cause the big dog's movin' in!!!":(

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I don't see 15 clubs being an issue. You have a 3 Iron/wood and 3i. Get rid of the one you hit least effectively. I would probably side with Lyle on what he mentioned to a tee, although if you go with the Cobra Hybrid I would be leary of the Aldila graphite shaft that comes stock on the Baffler and I believe the DWS. The Steel Nippon that comes stock is King. From my experience Hybrids are likely easier to hit if you have a slice, as they are actually more prone to hook for most. It is unlikely you will find a Hybrid that plays like a 3w, although some play somewhat close to a 4w. I own 3 hybrids as well as 3 FW's, and alternate them depend on the current circumstances, but seem to get in less trouble with the hybrids, at a shorter distance. I would tend to believe I would ideally rather have a 4w, a 3/4i hybrid (23*Cobra is great), then either another hybrid or FW to fill the gap, whichever you hit better.

If you slice a 5w 3 iron/wood, regardless of the lessons you have had, as Rock mentioned, lessons may be more important. You will likely never move to the next level if you are unable to keep anything longer than a 3i in play, fixing your slice should be your top priority. Even though Hybrids are more prone to a hook, you should never try and fix a swing issue with equipment. I would really try and tame that slice, or at least narrow it down to the Driver prior to buying equipment. Otherwise once you fix it, you may find your current equipment does not suit your needs. You can score really well, and for many beginners, likely better by keeping a 4w or 5w in play. Then when you have those in reliable form move on to taming the driver.

Although I carry a 60*, and did around the time I started, it came out of my bag until I had a repeatable swing and had a chance to concentrate more on where to use it, and more importantly when not to use it. Until you have a swing you are at least fairly comfortable with, I would get it out of your bag. Gives you one less thing to think of on the course, which is good. I have always been one to say a LW can be played effectively by anyone, and am not one that says it should be for better golfers, but from my experience when I started out it became most costly when I gave it the least thought and was concentrating on other thing.

My first assumption was you had a GW for the issue of too many clubs. If you go with Lyle's suggestions, this may not be a bad option and I would go with it prior to the LW. Clearly though, IMO, to get down to 14 clubs there is likely no reason to have a both 3i and 3 iron wood. Again, one less thing to think of, take the most reliable. Even if they are not the same distance, it may be likely because of what you mentioned with your swing. Take reliability over distance on any clubs when starting out. 20 yards shorter in the fairway is always better than 20 longer in the woods. When I started, until I picked up FW's and hybrids, I hit my 3i, 4i, and 5i all roughly the same. The control on the 5i far outweighed the occasion 20 yards more on the others until I sorted that out.

edit 1 - If you take another lesson, IMO I would concentrate on just that slice with say a 5w. If you have had 10 lessons, and concentrated mainly on that, it may be time to get a different perspective from a different instructor. Not saying you have a bad instructor, you just may be able to find better visualizations for a slice from another. You may never fix a slice with a driver, but with a 5w you should be able to at least tone it down to a fade and easily keep it in play by teeing from the right side and aiming down the left for a right hander.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Thank you Jayhawk,
and thank you everyone for the great advice!

After re-reading this thread looks like I'm gonna' focus on a #4w, and a #3 & #4 hybrid, and lose the 60* for now, at least until I can get some serious practice in, once the weather lets up.

If you have had 10 lessons, and concentrated mainly on that, it may be time to get a different perspective from a different instructor. Not saying you have a bad instructor, you just may be able to find better visualizations for a slice from another.

Actually I may do just that.
One of the guys I play with went to a 3-day golf school and he says it's the best thing he ever did for his game, and his scores show it!

One of the things that intrest me about this school is that it isn't all range instruction.
They also take you out on the course to teach you course management and club selection.
If I have the opportunity to go I'll surely post how things went.

In closing I'd like to say how amazed I am about how friendly and patient golfers are!!!
(Remember, I just started playing, ok?)
Over the past year I've played with some strangers and tried to warn them about my game and apologized for holding them up.
Anyone I've played with has always been very gracious and helpful!

And I see the same effect here on these boards!
You guys really know how to make a "rookie" feel welcome.
Thanks!!!
(ok, you can wipe away the tears now, go have a beer!!!):laugh:

Hey, anyone going to the Golf Show in Somerset, NJ. next Saturday???:thumbs up:

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
remember though, when looking for 3 and 4 hybrids, dont look for the numbers on them (ie. tm has incorrect lofts for the iron theyre suposed to replace), simply look at the lofts on them. 21-22* for the 3, and 24-25* for the 4

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Short answers

Lose the 3 wood and get a 4 wood with 16 degrees of loft

Get a 2 hybrid with 18* of loft (the cobra baffler is a great choice) this will replace your 5 wood and be easier to hit off the fairway and tee.

Replace your 3 and 4 irons with hybrids. 21* or 22* for the 3 iron, and *24* or 25* for the 4 iron. If you can find what you want in OEM clubs, look at components, and get the lofts hand picked.

Get for the 60* wedge untill you are a far more experienced player.

Make sure your sand wedge has at least 12* of bounce on it

Driver
4 wood
2-3-4 hybrids
5-sw irons
putter

This is only 13 clubs but is all you need for now.

Use the extra room in your bag for a good umbrella.

+1 on all of Lyle's advice. I have the 3 & 4 Bafflers, and they are great hybrids. I am supremely confident with both of those clubs (I'm an 18-handicap). If I were a beginner, I would probably add the 5-hybrid. I have a 17-deg 4-wood (no 3 or 5 wood). I carry a 60-deg wedge, but should probably lose it.

Grab the Bafflers with the steel shaft while they are still available. You can get them for under $100 now that the Baffler DWS came out. The Nippon steel shafts in those club are fabulous. Just be aware that they are a bit soft to the stated flex. I hit regular-flex irons (5-iron about 170 yards), and the stiff-flex hybrids are perfect for me. If you hit regular-flex irons, and your 5-iron distance is 150 yards you should get the regular-flex steel-shaft hybrids. If you hit regular or stiff-flex irons, and you can hit a 5-iron 170 yards, then get the stiff-flex hybrids. But make them Bafflers. Steel-shaft Bafflers. Trust me.

Tenn-Driver

Dec 3, 2006
You guys realize what your doing... don't you ? Your helping the man that got me hooked on this stupid game that I beat with only 3 months of self taught practice :laugh:

Hey, I only have a few more months of bragging rights before he :hunter: me next time we meet up... :laugh:

Seriously... I have to agree with Bob here when he says, you folks have been great.
Since I'm new and trying to figure our what I'm doing as well, I like the 4 wood replacing the 3/5 wood and maybe replacing the 3i with a baffler.
I'm still having a hard time deciding when to grab the 3 or 5 wood or the 3 or 4 iron... so this might help narrow down my choices and allow me to focus more on playing rather than if I have the club.

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Grey,

From your response to Ezra, you sound a lot like me. And all of the advice in here is spot on, even down to the Adams fairway woods. I hit my tight lie 3 and 5 woods better than I hit a 5 iron.

The comments on lessons is also fantastic. 5 lessons hasn't improved my best shot much. But my miss hits are less often and still in the right general direction.

Have you had your irons fitted? I am 6'3" and needed my lie angle adjusted 2* upright, half inch of length and a larger grip. That helped a bunch too.

artfulgolfer

Jan 8, 2007
some good advice... especially to ditch the 60-degree wedge until you've mastered the rest and ditch the 3i (and perhaps 4i) for a hybrid.

Regarding your slice... I was on the range one day slicing away with my 3w, when this stranger walked up, squatted directly behind me and put his hands up like he was a catcher in baseball. He told me to take my 3w back as if I was trying to put it in his mit. I've rarely sliced my fairway woods (or driver) since. It's hard to get outside in when you take it back outside.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Have you had your irons fitted?
B.H.,
no, they are standard lengh clubs.
I am 5'11" and the Pro I had taken lessons with said they are fine for me.
He also said they're very good clubs for my level of experience.
(Cobra 3400 I/H-graphite shafts.)

artfulgolfer,
That does sound very intresting!:laugh:

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
You guys realize what your doing... don't you ? Your helping the man that got me hooked on this stupid game that I beat with only 3 months of self taught practice :laugh:
Ahhhhh,
I LET you beat me!!!!!!!!
It was all an EXPERIMENT!!!!:D
(inside joke);)

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
What Lyle has suggested is pretty

sound. Only thing that I might question is having a minimum of 12* bounce on your sandwedge. If you have fairly fine sand and if your fairways are fairly lush, considerable bounce is perfectly fine, like 12*. On the other hand, if you have hard conditions with not-so-lush fairways, that amount of bounce is going to be trouble. 10* or even 8* would be preferable. Also, if you have sand that is packed pretty hard and not fine, less loft will come in handy. From hard sand and hard, thinly grassed lies, the bounce will tend to make the club bounce and the leading edge hits into the middle of the ball. Goodby! Less bounce, and you will not have that problem. With fine sand and plenty of grass, the club will not bounce.

There would not be much difference between a 15* 3-wood and a 16* 4-wood. If the 4-wood had 17* , you would have split the difference between a 15* 3-wood and a 19* 5-wood so that the 4-wood would cover both of those clubs. Now you pick up two or three hybrids. If you go with two hybrids you could carry four wedges. With three hybrids, you could carry 3 wedges.

I go with three wedges: 49* pitching, 54* and 58* wedges both with 10* bounce. I think the 58* is more versatile than a 60*, but that opinion is admittedly personal based upon my game on the courses I play. You open up a 58* a little, and you have a 60*. Then if you want to hit a full shot, it is easier to hit the 58* than a 69*.

I have a driver, 3-wood and 5-wood, one hybrid, 4 iron-9 iron, those three wedges and the trusty VooDoo putter. I like being able to hit that 5-wood since it gets higher than a hybrid, and I like having the 3-wood to use off the tee rather than the driver in certain situations. That 4-wood, however, is a mighty tempting choice.

As you can see, it gets pretty difficult getting that number down to fourteen. Here again, I agree with Lyle that starting out, there is no real need to get it down to fourteen. With more experience, your personal solution will probably come more into focus. I say your personal choice since your strengths determine how you play the game, and those strengths may differ from other golfers' strengths.

Best of luck to you in figuring this thing out. Sincerely, Cypressperch

🔥 Latest posts