• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need advice on club selection, please.

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
I'm thinking of replacing my #3 & #5 woods,
and my #3 iron/wood as they belong to a starter set of Rams
and now I have Cobras.
(M-speed driver, #3-pw irons.)
Along with an Odyessy puter and Orbitor sw.
I'm not sure what I'm about to ask will make any sense,
but I'll try.

With only 1 season under my belt, I am still quite the beginner!
I just don't seem to be able to hit my #3 & #4 irons at all.
Also I have 15 clubs, so I have to eliminate one altogether.
(I picked up a 60* wedge.)

Do I really need fairway woods?
Should I replace my long irons with hybrids?
Which club should I take out of the bag?

Believe me I'm clueless as what to do right now.
I'm going to a Golf Expo at the end of the month,
and would like to have some idea of what I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice I can get here!

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
One quick fix - get some hybrids, probably at least an 18* and 22* and maybe even consider a 25* (or whatever is closest to those numbers).

While you're learning the game let them take one big problem out of your game until you've mastered the mid- to short-shots with decent fundamentals and can apply them to long-irons if you still want to.

Some great deals on hybrids in the shops right now too - any of the clubs now marked down a $99 will do a great job.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Top advice from Sandy. Hybrids will be much easier to hit, especially than the 3 iron.

To replace the 3 and 5 woods you could also consider getting a 4 wood to cover both. I would suggest a TaylorMade Vsteel. I use one and it's a very nice club that can be picked up without breaking the bank.

As for the 60deg wedge - its a club that takes lots of practice - if you don't have time don't take it out with you to the course and rely on the SW.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A few questions...

What are you carrying now in your bag?

What degree and shaft flex driver are you using and what kind of flight do you get (high/low/medium) and does the ball tend to fade or draw at all on a "good shot"?

What iron would you use if you were right at the 150marker for an approach shot?

Which iron would you say is the easiest for you to hit?

This will just give me and other's an idea of your swingspeed, ballflight, swing plane ect.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Short answers

Lose the 3 wood and get a 4 wood with 16 degrees of loft

Get a 2 hybrid with 18* of loft (the cobra baffler is a great choice) this will replace your 5 wood and be easier to hit off the fairway and tee.

Replace your 3 and 4 irons with hybrids. 21* or 22* for the 3 iron, and *24* or 25* for the 4 iron. If you can find what you want in OEM clubs, look at components, and get the lofts hand picked.

Get for the 60* wedge untill you are a far more experienced player.

Make sure your sand wedge has at least 12* of bounce on it

Driver
4 wood
2-3-4 hybrids
5-sw irons
putter

This is only 13 clubs but is all you need for now.

Use the extra room in your bag for a good umbrella.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
A few questions...

What are you carrying now in your bag?
Cobra M-speed driver 10.5*, reg. flex graphite shaft.
Ram #3 & #5 woods, graphite shafts.
Ram #3 iron/wood, 22*, steel shaft.
Cobra 3400I/H irons, (3-pw), reg. flex graphite shafts.
Orbiter sw, graphite shaft, 56*.
Odyssey 2-ball srt putter, 35".
Ram 60* wedge, 12* bounce, steel shaft.
(I have no idea what 'bounce' means, this club was given to me to try out.)

What degree and shaft flex driver are you using and what kind of flight do you get (high/low/medium) and does the ball tend to fade or draw at all on a "good shot"?
10.5*, reg. flex.
I'd have to say high flight.
On a "good" shot I'd say straight to slight fade.

What iron would you use if you were right at the 150marker for an approach shot?
That's a hard question as I don't hit the ball very far.
I'd guess probably a #5 iron.

Which iron would you say is the easiest for you to hit?
#7 iron or higher.

This will just give me and other's an idea of your swingspeed, ballflight, swing plane ect.

I don't use my fairway woods because I slice terribly with them, same with my iron/wood. (hybrid?)

I was thinking of Cobra M-speed fairways, and Cobra baffler dws hybrids, or Taylor Made draws.
But I am certainly open to different opinions.
My other problem is I have no idea, when it comes to hybrids, what degree of club replaces what iron.
Should I replace clubs, or learn how to use what I have now.
Sorry if this seems long and drawn out,
but as a beginner, I'm trying to learn.
Thanks.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks for answering those questions. LyleG has good suggestions there and those answers can help us get more club and shaft specific.

First off I'd say stick with that driver for now. It should be offset to help you keep straighter and forgiving enough on a not so good strike.

You have an overlap of lofts carrying that hybrid/wood and a 3iron. 3iron is usually 21* and a 4 24*. Long irons are tough for just about everyone and having a slower swing just makes it more difficult. Same goes for a 3wood which is standard 15*.

My suggestion would be to look into a fairway wood between 16 and 18* that is made to get the ball up easy. Next I would say hybrids starting around 20*, 23* and maybe up to a 26*. Those would eliminate your 3 and 4 irons, the 26* would knock out the 5i also. Fear not, most of the equipment out now is made for your game. Softer tipped shafts to get the ball high and land soft. A little draw bias to help keep it from slicing.

This game is a lot different for differnent players. I only use something in a 21* range for going at a par 5 in 2 or off the tee on a short par 4. You will be using it on a lot of approach shots so something you can get up in the air and hit consistantly is a must. Where I'm using a 3i once or twice a round, you are using it 3 or 4 times that many.

Keep in mind you absolutely do not have to go spend hundreds to get these clubs. There are tons of places to get good condition used as well as companies that sell components that very good for much cheaper. A few brands that have had clubs like this out for a while would be Callaway and Adams. Nickent is another one but fairly new.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I am going to post a few clubs on here from our sponsor GlobalGolf that in my opinion are good deals and may suit your needs. Just suggestions... I'm bored here.
icon10.gif
If you do have interest in any of them, let me know. We might be able to get little "deal" from Roberno for a few.

On a few of these you have to use the dropdown box to see the other lofts, they have more than one of the same model but in different lofts.

Nice shaft on this one http://www.globalgolf.com/Product/GolfClub.aspx?pid=1002663&gd=3&mid=4

This one would knock the 5iron out. Probably right between your 4 and 5 iron but much easier and higher http://www.globalgolf.com/Product/GolfClub.aspx?pid=1002097&gd=3&mid=4 oops. You have to use the dropdown box to change it from the 3i to the 5.

Here's a Nickent in a 22* that would be a 3iron. http://www.globalgolf.com/Product/GolfClub.aspx?pid=1004534&gd=3&mid=4

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
GD,

While the above suggestion are top notch, I would suggest getting a few lessons before investing in a whole lot of equipment. While the suggestions are good for helping correct some problems, they are more of a band-aid for a bigger underlying issue.

Have a pro take a look at your swing. A couple 1 hour sessions would be worth their weight in gold.

R35

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
GD,

While the above suggestion are top notch, I would suggest getting a few lessons before investing in a whole lot of equipment. While the suggestions are good for helping correct some problems, they are more of a band-aid for a bigger underlying issue.

Have a pro take a look at your swing. A couple 1 hour sessions would be worth their weight in gold.

R35

Good advice on the lessons.

I'd suggest Driver, 4 Wood (something in the 18* area - alot of 18* clubs are labelled as 5W now adays), 21 and 24 hybrids, 5-sw, putter... still have 2 clubs to spare for wedges later. You really need to hit alot of hybrids to find the one that you feel comfortable with. The only one I can hit is the Nike CPR Ironwood style... feels like crap in graphite to me, I need steel.

7 and 9 woods are other options instead of hybrids, if you can't find a hybrid you like.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Seriously great replies!
Thanks guys!!
I see that a #4 wood is suggested several times here,
and you all seem to agree on the hybrids.
I'll be writing all these clubs down on paper to take with me to the expo!

Ezra, I'll also check out those links, thanks!

Rockford, I have taken about 10-12 lessons with the Pro here at our local course.
He says that I have a very natural swing and thinks that I will be a fairly good player, in time.
He certainly has helped me being that '06 was my very first year.
I am probably expecting too much too soon.

It's sub-freezing temps here in New Jersey, so any real practicing is put on hold for now.
So for now I have to settle with practicing my putting and short chips down the hallway.

Anyone know the penelty for puting a ball imprint in the wall?????:faintthud

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.