• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NEED advice on Universal Remote Control

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
OK the new Samsung is in....works beautifully.

Background: I have used Tivo's for five years and am addicted to their brilliant remote control. DirecTV did not renew their relationship with Tivo and sell their own HD DVR instead. Frankly, it's pretty damn decent...can't complain...not as good as a Tivo but fairly close.

The supplied remote with the DVR will not allow you to program the volume on your AV receiver without moving a switch at the top of the remote first. This is maddening and unacceptable. Other than that, the design of the unit itself is pretty decent. Not Tivo quality but large PLAY and PAUSE buttons...good List button and Exit button too.

The guys at CC railroaded me into a LogiTech remote, which indeed does have a lot of logic...it will turn on all devices for whatever you want to do (watch TV, watch DVD, listen to music) and it will set the appropriate input setting on the TV as well as select the correct sound source on the receiver. This is done by programming it through a USB port on their website.

Then comes the rub. The physical design of the Logitech Harmony 670 remote is an utter disaster. Jillions of tiny buttons. Play and pause are the same size as the others and are difficult to locate. For heavy users of a DVR, who are interrupted frequenty while watching TV (therefore using the DVR's functions constantly) - this simply will not do.

Yes, the Logitech does indeed do a great job of setting up whatever you want to do....but after that, it is simply not acceptable to me and I am returning it.

All of my components are at waist height and easy to turn on manually. I do not need the sophisticated functions of automatic switching as we can do that ourselves by walking up to the components.

Here is what I need your recommendations on:

A universal remote control that:

1) Will control a DirecTV DVR and an AV receiver in the same switch setting.
2) Have large buttons for PAUSE and PLAY - like a Tivo remote.

This is pretty simple. Anybody know what to buy?

thanks

b

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
I wish I could remember what I did, but I had the same problem. I got the DirecTV DVR ( which really s*cks by the way compared to Tivo ) and the volume wasn't working on the remote in the DVR mode. I remember chucking the damn remote across the room more than once, but somehow I figured it out because I can now control the DVR, and change the volume on my Sony receiver in the same mode. No need to flip the switch.

All I can say is keep at it, you can control the volume on the receiver with that remote.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Seems like you may be able to get by with any "Programmable" Remote. I currently use my TIVO one as you mentioned, but prior to that I used this one for about 10 years.

LINK:RC: Sony RM-VL900 Remote Control Review (1)

Takes a little time to set up and program, but once you do it works well. I believe you can program 3 devices and set numbers on 5 others if memory serves me. My only complaint was the button numbers and names would wear off in time (after several years). I actually bought a second and took it apart and transfered the number pad to my old one to avoid having to reprogram.

Probably a little more difficult that the Logitechs and being able to download, but a bit cheaper as well. Nothing real difficult, just point the other remote at the sensor on the programmable remote and hit the desired key to program.

BTW, the link I provided is a site that does reviews, and has user manual downloads and has a forum on most remote controls, may be of some help if you want more than the one I linked.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I don't think I could do the touchscreen type - after having a touch screen cell phone for a while, I'm happy to have buttons back

I've gotten used to the Comcast DVR remote - I looked into one of the fancy universals for the gadget factor, but have made do with this thing

One thing I would be all over though would be a universal remote that is also a cordless phone - how often do you sit down to watch something and the phone rings across the room? or I find myself sitting on the phone but can't find the remote

I don't think it would completely replace my main remote, (wife would walk away with it talking to her sister and I'd be helpless) but I'd love the option to answer the phone with my remote

oh well - let us know what you settle on and how it treats you

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
I cant really tell you which one to get but I can definatley tell you which one not to get. This one. Newegg.com - Logitech Harmony 550 Universal Infrared Advanced Remote Control We got it to control our home theater and it just sucks. Its impossible to program, the down button went out, it doesnt really do anything that you want it to when you want it to. The only good thing I can say is the batteries have lasted pretty well but its only been a month.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I wish I could remember what I did, but I had the same problem. I got the DirecTV DVR ( which really s*cks by the way compared to Tivo ) and the volume wasn't working on the remote in the DVR mode. I remember chucking the damn remote across the room more than once, but somehow I figured it out because I can now control the DVR, and change the volume on my Sony receiver in the same mode. No need to flip the switch.

All I can say is keep at it, you can control the volume on the receiver with that remote.

Thanks....I am going to try it again right now.

EDIT 1 - three hours later: FAILED.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not sure if it helps Bravo, but on the Tivo you had to go into the system settings in the TIVO menus to turn on the ability to use the TV and Amp.

I also set up a DirectTV Remote for my father in law's dish over the holiday, so it would work with his TV and VCR. You can get the Manuals on line. Not sure if it was the same remote for the dish as the DVR, but on it you could just about any device on his. It seemed like a pretty decent remote, short of being programmable.

DIRECTV - System & Remote Manuals

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I was WAITING on you to weigh in....thanks for the link. I tried again to get the volume to program on the DirecTV setting (left position) and it failed. Very frustrating.
Let me try your link and I'll report back.
thanks as always for your technical wisdom.
b

🔥 Latest posts