• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need another driver shaft recomendation

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Hit on a launch monitor again today with my Callaway FTi tour with matrix x-con 6 stiff shaft, it is a 9.5 degree head and was using bridgestone e7 balls

Launch angle was between 12.7 and 13.8 consitently with swing speed averaging 108, which is down 4 mph from last time due to swinging a little flatter, my problem was spin, i couldnt get it below 3500 rpm's. It stayed around 3900-4100 consitently and dropped to 3500 a couple of times.

I need a shaft that launching similiar to the matrix i got but can bring the spin down, do i need to go to a lower lofted head and something that launches a little higher than the matrix, it was a buddy who works at a golf shop who let me use the launch monitor and doesnt really know much about club building so he couldnt help with any shaft combos.

I hit a couple ping drivers with diamana blueboards in them and got similar numbers, tried the 9 degree and the 10.5 launch went up to around 14 with the 10.5

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
United States United States
Keith,your numbers are ok ,except the spin rate, next time you go to the launch monitor
make an effort to swing into a firm left side, Seems like you might be breaking down that side at impact. this would lead to higher spin rate and loft. hope this helps. You also need to know where the kick point on those shafts are ,might need a lower kick point.
Will I see you at Forest Park for the St. Louis Publinx May 3rd? Iam flying into town for that Tournament.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Try hitting the ball above the center 1/2" to 3/4".

Should kill the spin.

If you are hitting below the center at all, spin goes way up. Golf is totally counter-intuitive.

Next time put an impact sticker on the face and only average the shots that you hit above the center. Then duplicate that on the course.

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Not playing in the tournament, work won't let me off to play during the week, and I hit the ball higher on the clubface, I seem to get more distance that way and have stuck with it. I do have a problem with hips sliding toward the target which may have something to do with the spin rate

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i'm kinda in the same boat except, w/ the high spin rate, i'm getting lower launch.

but i might actually try augster's recommendation and see if i'm hitting low in the face.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Grab every different type of ball you have out of your bag. And, go pick up some ProV1X and some Cally Tour IX and hit those. Then, watch your spin numbers.

My guess is that you'll see the best numbers with the IX or the Prov1x.

R35

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I actually have a -3.5* attack angle, and i have tried the prov 1's and pro v1'x and had very similar numbers. Spin was actually higher but it was with a different driver. Does anyone know the driver and shaft combo that charles howell is playing. And i also read somewhere that tiger also has a negative attack angle but his is around 1 to 1.5* and the bridgestone e7 was just the ball he had there and i actually play the bridgestone treosoft which has alot lower spin rate. I play it because it hits and one hop stops with all my clubs, i hate having a ball spin back and my wedges never cut the cover with them either

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
also another thing is i like the square head of the fti tour and would like to stick with it but it is a .350 hosel and it seems that most of the better shafts dont come in .350's i was wanting to try a white board but there website only showed .335's I know the fti tour is a low spin head but are any of the other square drivers low spin???? or if i have to go to a traditional shape driver what are the low spin heads i should try

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
The Tournament on Sunday May 3,Lot of fun & The Best Players in The St. Louis Area playing,come test your game,
Call Bob Gaus at Tower Tee for input on spin issues. He's #1 PGA Gatway Section Player of the Year ,US Open Player,PGA Champ. ect. just tell him, Yerry from Orlando sent U.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You can get adapters to use a .335 shaft in a .350 hosel. You just can't go the other way (.350 in a .335).

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Eagle springs was my home course on high school, pm me on here when you are gonna be here and I will meet you there, the 2nd is my wife's birthday but I can probably get out and play in the morning. Bob Gaus a who I get lessons from now, he has me working on something right now but I like the way I hit the ball now and just want to change the club and not the swing. And do the adapters work cause I have never used one and don't know if I would trust it

🔥 Latest posts

Members online