• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Assistance with purchasing a new set of irons for a beginner golfer.

Which iron wold be more forgiving while providing the best distance???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Par72

Dec 16, 2007
I am a new golfer to the game and becoming a fanatic. I have always been very athletic throughout highschool and college, but have come to the conclusion that GOLF is the hardest sport to achieve in.
My father in law has gotten me into the sport, he has had the opportunity to work as a pro at a couple of courses in Tennessee, but currently lives in Kansas City; Therefore, he is unable to assist me with improving my game. I am looking for a great set of irons that will assist me with getting the ball down the green. Since I am so new to this game, I know that I will be unable to shape my shots. I have considered purchasing a set of Mizuno MX19 or MX25 irons, but since researching Nickent I am considering the change. My father in law has given me his old irons which are Mizuno MP 32, but I am a little worried that I will be unable to hit these clubs after researching them and reading reviews. I know that whichever set I purchase, I will also buy hybrid clubs. I am looking for knowledge here, for he just tells me to buy blades b/c if you plan on excelling you should just learn how to hit them or you will be going backwards b/c you will not know if you are hitting the ball properly, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE... PLEASE ASSST ME any opinions on Mizuno MX19 or MX25 or Nickent's new 3DX Hybrid Irons DX Hybrid Irons ...THANKS SO MUCH... Which would be more forgiving and which would carry the ball further???

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
mx25 if you have to buy i new set but id say stick with the 32s as they are not that hard to hit IMO. but whats you average score. as far as hybrids go nickents ones are really good but i like the taylormade one better.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think the nickent irons are super long, if that's what you are looking for. I say go for whichever of the mizunos or nickents you like after a demo session, but keep your 32 to play when you feel more comfortable with them.

OP
P

Par72

Dec 16, 2007
Reply in reguards to Mizuno irons

mx25 if you have to buy i new set but id say stick with the 32s as they are not that hard to hit IMO. but whats you average score. as far as hybrids go nickents ones are really good but i like the taylormade one better.

I currently play once or twice week, but I am horrible at times and other times I can crack the ball 250+ with a fairway wood. My handicap is very high, but have no idea what exactly it is. I am really looking to start playing this upcoming summer since I am purchasing my first clubs. I have an Odyssey 2 ball putter with the tour line and in a 35in shaft, Nike Sumo 3 & 5 fairway woods, and I am now looking to purchase some irons.

So you would suggest the Mizuno MX25 compared to the Nickent 3DX hybrid/iron set?

Also, do you think that the Mizuno MP32 will be a harder club to hit, while offering less forgiveness?

Thanks...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Go play the 32's for a while and see what you think. If you like them, stop looking. If not, start demoing everything you can get your hands on.

I'd love to have somebody give me 32's.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Find someplace such as Golf Galaxy or similar store where you can actually try out different clubs. Every hybrid is different & what works for 1 person may not work at all for you. I personally hate my hybrids & never use them anymore.

And why limit yourself to just these few sets? Want a forgiving club which is easy to hit, I would suggest Clevelands Launcher plus you can get them relatively cheap.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
I currently play once or twice week, but I am horrible at times and other times I can crack the ball 250+ with a fairway wood. My handicap is very high, but have no idea what exactly it is. I am really looking to start playing this upcoming summer since I am purchasing my first clubs. I have an Odyssey 2 ball putter with the tour line and in a 35in shaft, Nike Sumo 3 & 5 fairway woods, and I am now looking to purchase some irons.

So you would suggest the Mizuno MX25 compared to the Nickent 3DX hybrid/iron set?

Also, do you think that the Mizuno MP32 will be a harder club to hit, while offering less forgiveness?

Thanks...

id say mizzys will have better feel and IMO if you can get good using blades then your ball striking with probably be better for doing so. this is just my opinion. like said above if you feel you need a more forgiving set then go and try as many sets of irons as you can get your hands on. i to would love if someone gave me a set of MP-32s:)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I'm down with the 25's but as mentioned above the best thing would be to hit all of them in a store first.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I say go with the MX25. I played the MX20 (predecessor to the 25) for a couple of years and they are incredible sticks. They do an amazing job of walking the line between game improvement and player's cavity back. They are forgving but they won't mask flaws. They have great feel but they don't severely punish less than perfect contact. They are a club that you can actually enjoy as a higher handicap player that will also allow you to take your game as low as you can.

Go play the 32's for a while and see what you think. If you like them, stop looking. If not, start demoing everything you can get your hands on.

I'd love to have somebody give me 32's.

"stop looking"?! Now THAT is hilarious! :laugh:

Planet_Boom

Nov 14, 2007
I'd say try the MX-25s if you can afford them. I previously had MX-17s which were good and very easy to hit, but I was able to pick up a set of MX-25s which felt 100% better because they were forged. However, i am having problems hitting them as well as the MX-17s but am having lessons to hopefully get it sorted.

Mizuno do make great irons though!

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Its not the arrow its the archer!!! Most on here (except warbird :) ) would love the 32's.

the smarter move is to assess where your game is hurting. I really doubt you can buy a better game, so practice more, take a lesson or ten, and play more. if you piss away three days wages on new irons, you would probably have been better off taking three days off and playing more. just my two cents

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I vote "none of the above". Get a new or used set of Pings and move on..... :)

I'm not too sure about this anymore; my KZG's are getting into the bag more and more. I'm beginning to think there is something to the magical forged feel...

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I have the 3DX Hybrid Irons and love them. But like everyone else I think you should feel and swing everything you can get your hands on. I just happened to like these when messing around, then found them pretty cheap online. They're incredibly forgiving, but you still know when you screwed up. So you can feel your mis-hits and get used to fixing it, but they won't punish you too bad while teaching you. I love them so far.

Also they're very long because the lofts are non-traditional. As such they aren't really any more forgiving than other GI irons for a specific number club. This is hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot. The 5-iron, for example, is 22° -- that's about the same loft as a traditional 3-iron. The club hits about the same, forgiveness and ball-flight-wise, as other GI 5-irons. But you get the length of a 3-iron out of it. So I guess loft-wise they are much more forgiving than any of the others I hit. But club number-wise, they're about the same in feel, you just get more distance so people will think you're a little better than you are. They'll still know you suck because you're swinging a shovel on a stick, but it's nice to pull out the 8-iron from 150 and actually get it in the air and make the distance. The clubs really help with confidence, because you know even a screwed shot will still get somewhere and not make you feel like a loser. It's also nice that they look pretty much like any other cavity-back iron - the soles aren't 10-feet wide like so many of the super GI irons.

I have the regular 3DX sand wedge (the red back) and actually like the feel of it a little better - a little more crisp feel, not quite as numb. I might would get those had I tried them out at the same time as the carbon-backed clubs. But they don't have the stronger lofts. That's not a big deal really, but it does bring down your confidence a little when you have to pull out your 7-iron to make the distance your buddy is covering with a 9. With the carbon-backed ones you feel a little better about your short distances, because they aren't short anymore.

They say you can't buy a game, but I contend that you can to a degree. Prior to these I was playing some crap-o Wilson Counter Torque clubs from WalMart, and I was all over the place. Just a truly horrible golfer. I'm not even sure why I kept trying to play. I got the 3DX Hybrid irons (which came with the 3 and 4 hybrid/utility,) and at the time the deal came with a free 3DX Square driver. I don't know if it was confidence, the clubs, or just happened to be when I started getting better - but I straight up bought a game. My first round I actually played from fairways and first cuts, instead of exploring every creek bed and bush along the way trying to find a ball. I even kept every shot on the hole I was playing - that may sound dumb, but I had never played a round where I didn't have to venture over to the neighboring hole to find my ball a few times before these clubs.

But again, take it for what it's worth - just because they work for me doesn't mean they'll do squat for you. In your hands they may be the most useless chunks of metal ever put on the end of a stick.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Father-in-law has given you a great set of clubs. Take the $$$ you were going to spend on new irons and spend it on lessons. You'll be the better for it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.