• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need fairway wood shaft advice

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I can't hit my fairway woods consistently. I know that it's probably my swing, but I want to try a new shaft in my 3 wood especially, and then maybe in my 5 wood too. Both are 980F, the 3 wood is NOT a bore through, the 5 wood is a bore through.

The 3 wood I hook off the tee: a BIG, HIGH, hook. And I fade or slice it off the turf, LOW. :(

The 5 wood I hit with a slight draw off the tee and turf.

Is the difference because the 5 wood is playing stiffer due to the borethrough head? Both have the same shaft: a regular flex ProCustom, which feels great when I swing it, but the erratic nature of the 3 wood is driving me nuts. According to Golfworks, the ProCustom has 5.0* torque, low bend point and soft tip.

I don't want a pricey shaft, but what shaft would give me a straighter, medium ball flight? How about some of these, on sale?
Prolite fairway: 3.5*, high bend, firm tip, $14
Purple Ice: 3.0*, mid bend, firm tip, on Ebay for $30
Saber Tour Low Vector: 2.8*, mid/high bend, medium tip, $15
Saber 75: 3.1*, mid/low bend, med/soft tip, $15

And should I put a stiff in the 3 wood since it's not a bore through?

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
I think the prolite fairway is by far the best choice of the ones you have listed . Especially as it is the only shaft you listed that is specifically made for fairway woods. I have one in in my Mizuno 3w and it is superb - very consistent feeling and nice mid/high trajectory. Why not put that in the 3w and maybe the PI in the 5w.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think the prolite fairway is by far the best choice of the ones you have listed . Especially as it is the only shaft you listed that is specifically made for fairway woods. I have one in in my Mizuno 3w and it is superb - very consistent feeling and nice mid/high trajectory. Why not put that in the 3w and maybe the PI in the 5w.

Mid/High trajectory? Good Lord man! I can't get my TM 200 Steel 3-wood more than ten feet off the ground with it's ProLite Fairway shaft. That high flex point is a killer. Maybe the Doc can get the ball up in a air better than me. It is a nice low-dispersion shaft, though. I will say that.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I was going to say the pro light as well. I hit one at the range and it felt nice.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I find the prolite very stable, but hard to elevate. I have not hit any of the others

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've heard good things about the Purple Ice as a FW shaft. Also the Fujikura Vista Pro in 70,80 or 90 are all over Ebay for cheap.

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
Mid/High trajectory? Good Lord man! I can't get my TM 200 Steel 3-wood more than ten feet off the ground with it's ProLite Fairway shaft. That high flex point is a killer. Maybe the Doc can get the ball up in a air better than me. It is a nice low-dispersion shaft, though. I will say that.

I think it depends on the head, my Mizuno MP001 has a real low center of gravity probably because of its carbon crown. It would probably suck with a soft tipped shaft, but with the Prolite its long and still easy to get in the air.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I just got back from playing 18. I left the non bore through 3 wood in the car and substituted my bore through 4 wood (yes, I have a 3, 4, and 5 wood, I'm a HO.)

I hit that sucker straight as an arrow off the deck. I even drove a par 5 in 2 with my 983K and the 4 wood. Missed the friggin eagle putt, though.

The bore through head seems to help me, so is it possible to make the 3 wood bore through? Or should I just try another shaft? Until then I'm playing the 4 wood.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Doc, try some Rifle 5.0 steel wood shafts. Fairly cheap and makes for a good transition from your irons to driver. If my current Fuji shafts in my 3 and 5 woods ever let me down, I would consider the Aldila NV or match whatever shaft is in my irons.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Doc, try some Rifle 5.0 steel wood shafts. Fairly cheap and makes for a good transition from your irons to driver. If my current Fuji shafts in my 3 and 5 woods ever let me down, I would consider the Aldila NV or match whatever shaft is in my irons.

The 3 & 5 woods actually came with Rifle 5.0 steel shafts and I had them replaced with the graphite hoping to get more distance. I think I got 5 more yards. :)

Getting old is hell.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
The Precision Sabre Tour Vector R35 put in his TEE driver for $14.95? Sounds like a good shaft. See that thread of his... :D

ROYAL PRECISION SABER TOUR VECTOR 65 & 75 GRAPHITE WOOD SHAFTS

I play reg flex irons, stiff flex driver. I had a reg flex 3-wood and changed shafts to stiff and love it.

I ordered one of these because of the price (65g S flex) thinking I'd find something to do with it. My brother in law just ho'd a cobra comp 454 driver with the 55g shaft - I think he's getting the saber and I think it should fit him well based on the other shafts he plays and likes. (still not sure why since he's hitting his new bertha with NV pretty well)

I want to replace the MAS70 shaft in my V-steel 4 wood. - I play a 65-S blue prolaunch in my driver (all carry, no roll) and like the feel but trajectory is pretty high. Swing speed is usually just south of 100 on comfortable swings.

for the 4-wood, I can't help but think that I should go heavier than 65g - perhaps 70, 75, 80
I also think I should go with a lower kickpoint shaft (based on driver fitting) but I don't want it to balloon quite as high as the pro launch.

I was thinking for giggles I could try:
1) the 75g Saber - thinking I could barely tip it to soften up the tip a bit - would this work?

2) would it make more sense to get a 75 reg flex and tip it more to get the flex up a bit (I'll be cutting it down to be 1" shorter than my 44.25" driver)

3) quit trying to save $20-30 and just buy a higher launch shaft - and if you think this is the way to go, what would you recommend slightly lower launch than the blue pro launch? and what flex in what weight? does the V2 fit in this category? how about a hybrid shaft?

sorry for long post!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I am very happy with the Fuji Vista Pro 80 I have in my TP three wood. They are going mad cheap right now b/c they're discontinued.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online