• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help selecting new irons

k9tarak

Sep 3, 2006
I have been playing with a set of clubs from 1999. I usually shoot in the low 90's. I try to play at least once a month, work permitting. I want to buy some new irons and have looked at the following online:
Nike NDS, Calloway 2004 Big Bertha and X-16, and Taylormade RAC OS/OS2 and RAC R5 XL's. They all state they are for high handicap players. Any ideas as the prices are close. Thanks

Jones

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
I'm not going to lie to you, the NDS' are hard to hit. I have no experiance with the TM, but i will recommend the Cobra irons. To be realistic, you wont really shape anything other then a blade, if your only shooting in the 90's you really don't need blades. So, basically your looking for consistancy, and forgiveness.
The Cobra 3100's and 3400's are worth a look.

OP
K

k9tarak

Sep 3, 2006
Blades and Shape???

Here goes my limitations on golf knowledge...What do you mean by SHAPE?? I have heard that blades are not the clubs I need, just from some family members that golf. I hit and swing really hard, probably too hard and was told I need a stiff or extra stiff shaft. When I get ahold of the ball it goes. I like to hit my nine or PW from like 120-130 out. I know that is wrong and am trying to correct it.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Shaping the ball refers to making the ball do what you want, as in hitting a hook around a tree, or something of that sort, its nothing you need to worry about yet, stay in the fairway :). from 120, a 9i really isnt that hard, i hit my 9iron from 150-165. However, that may be hard for YOU, every golfer has an athletic ability. And don't try and hit your clubs farther, if i hit a 7iron and you hit a hybrid, and your putting for birdie, and i have to lag one close just to two putt for par, does it really matter what we hit? You may need a stiff shaft, i use one, but i do hit my clubs farther. For a driver, i pretty much always reccomend a stiff shaft, but for irons when smoothness and finnesse is the name of the game, a regular shaft might work wonder. In my opinion, graphite irons are never worth the extra money, and for me, they arent as consistant.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
X16's and RAC OS or OS2's would be my choices out of those. The R5's are a made for Dick's Sporting Goods only club I think, I may be wrong. I have no experience with the NDS but I assume they would be forgiving as they look to be a thick soled, offset, cavity back. I personally would rather have a forged iron vs. a cast iron. Forged is softer and has a much better feel. The X16's and the RAC OS models are cast. Not sure about the Nikes. BTW- I would think any more than $300 max for any of those sets would be too high. If you are looking at prices at or slightly above that you could get newer and better brands/models.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well, any minute now they're gonna pounce on you about the "wonders" of Mizunos, so just be prepared!!:smilie_pi

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, any minute now they're gonna pounce on you about the "wonders" of Mizunos, so just be prepared!!:smilie_pi

I'd have to agree though, Mizuno makes some of the only forged game improvement irons on the market. Cast clubs would rattle my fillings now.
icon10.gif

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005

And I was about to recommend the Callys too.

Personally, I'd like a set of X18 or something just to have. I'm pretty sure it would be near impossible to feel any shots, but you can't argue with forgiveness

OP
K

k9tarak

Sep 3, 2006
I have set aside 400-450 for some irons. What models would be good other than the ones I listed for beginners.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Mizuno MX-17's are worth a look. You'd do well with that $$ on Ebay.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sorry, my bad, it was MX-23's I was thinking of. Holy mackeral the soles on the MX-17's made me quesy. :eek: Here's a link to an auction for the 23's, I don't mind used in very good condition but you could find new for under $450 if you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mizuno-MX-23-Ir...QQihZ018QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's some Titleist 804's that are oversized with lightweight Nippon shafts (high end shafts) http://cgi.ebay.com/Titleist-804-OS...yZ115280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

big mike

Aug 20, 2006
I have set aside 400-450 for some irons. What models would be good other than the ones I listed for beginners.

In that price range I looked at the Taylormade RAC OS2. I almost got them too, but settled for something a little cheaper (Adams GT2).

At 400-450 you probably couldn't do much better than those TaylorMade's.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
i would get either the mx 23's or the Taylormade RAC Os2's or the callaway x 18's. you should go demo them on a weekend or something. this is a big decision so you want to make a right choice.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
You could afford some of the Cobra Inertia Series from golfsmith.com, I believe. I highly recommend them as I love my 2 iron.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
sssmokin has a set of Callaway Big Bertha's in the classified forum for $200 like new. These were $1,000 new.

:)

🔥 Latest posts