• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help with driver specs

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
I haven't golfed much last season but when I got heavy into it I went to golf town to get a driver. I told them I want 13 degree launch angle and 2800 rpm spin.

So I get on the machine had a clubhead speed on of 115 and an average fly of 265-270 which is way off. The sacriest thing was my spin rate was 4000 - 4500 back spin, the balls went straight off the simulator so it wasn't side spin. My launch angle was 13. They started telling me they couldn't build me a club that would gt my specs. I realize I probably have a problem sliding a head in the downswing that is causing the steep angle but for them to tell me BS like that was odd. I know I read somewhere by adding loft to your driver and putting a really low launch shaft in, that your spin rate goes down while launch stays normal. Its what Charles Howell III has to have done.

Anyone have experience in this?

Edit- I was hitting 9.5 and 10 degree drivers still flex mid launch.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Not a hell of a lot of experience with this stuff but doesn't a Tip stiff shaft (Creation, Protopype etc) bring down spin rates?

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Lots of things to consider. Shaft could be the biggest issue. What shafts were in the drivers? The ball also has a lot to do with spin numbers. When I find a good combo(my SS is a tad bit slower, mine is in the 112 range), my spin is right in the 2800 range. Lefty makes a good point about shafts, plus I think I would look elsewhere to be fit. I am sure that there is a decent fitter within a few hours of you.
One of the best driver combo I have is the Ping Rapture V2 and the Diamana blueboard shaft(which broke, and now resides in a 3wood). The head is a 12 degree head, and it is a heck of a driver. Super easy to hit. It was a real eye opener for me when I hit this combo. Lots of long bombs with that combo. Need a BB to replace it with. May pick an I-mix shaft up form Callaway preowned and pull the adapter.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online