• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
More than likely you'll need longer shafts.

Have you ever considered a fitting? It's well worth the money. You'll find what length, what style, what flex and just about anything else about your swing.

Check around your local area, see if you can't get one done. You won't be disappointed, I assure you. It will dramatically help you on finding a set of irons for you, and you alone.

Good luck. If you go in for one, report back. I'm always interested in people's experiences, positive or other.

:)

R35

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
At most places, fitting is free if you buy from them. Even places like Dick's do fittings now, and they hire P.G.A professionals and other good clubbuilders, it seems like they are taking a turn for the better. Sometimes if you go in there, say what you need, they will help you. One thing ive learned from talking to and playing with some of the staff, do not lie to them. I sat in there for about 5 hours one day (skipped school and had nothing to do) talkign to the pro about various stuff, and he said every person that comes in will say they shoot mid 40's and drive the ball 280, and when they get back on launch monitor, there duffing shots left and right its a sight to see. But, the staff does not appreciate this, they do know what they are talking about, tell them your starting out, and want to be fitted for clubs, be realistic with your goals, your scores, and what you want out of irons and i garuntee even a big name chain like dicks will go out of their way for you. Also, of those 3, i'd reccomend the OS, but dont hesitate to look into King Cobra, or even Adams both make great irons that will help you get the ball up fast but also give you room to improve by proving to be playable for a game improvement iron.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
...dont hesitate to look into King Cobra, or even Adams both make great irons that will help you get the ball up fast but also give you room to improve by proving to be playable for a game improvement iron.

Even though I play the 3400s, I reckon the Cobra 3100s (that are currently on sale now the newer models are out) are greatly underrated, and are tremendous value for anyone looking at a game improvement club for not many $$$s.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Aye, i play them now. For a GI iron, they really have performed well enough for me to keep them in the bag. It is a very comforting thought to stand over a 220 yard approach shot with a 3 iron over water, knowing this club is easy to hit. Every time i look into irons, i cant seem to buy because these have been so good to me. I think they would understand if i went to their cute big sister the 2300's or the forged CB's tho :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Thanks for the support/compliments guys...checks are in the mail. :D

I will make you a good deal on my rac's if you're interested. They're standard length, I'm 6' and they played well for me. Not sure if you need longer irons at 6'3" or not, as said above a fitting would answer that question.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I would recommend the OS2's. I demo'd them and love them. I just bought them last week but haven't played them on the course yet. They are a birthday present from my wife and she won't let me have them for 2 more weeks till my birthday.:( Check with MCDavis to see if his are still available.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I played the TM RAC OSIIs for 18 months - they are a good choice for the game improver for sure.

Easy to hit and decent feedback as well. I have a set I'm about to sell but am in the UK so no use to you - they have a +1 inch shaft length too.

Stupid Atlantic getting in the way - but good luck with your quest, they should be a good buy - but do get fitted - it makes such a difference.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
if you can get a set of callaways that are fit to your specs in the right price range, i would highly recomend those. They possibly have the best reputation when it comes to game improvement irons.

🔥 Latest posts