• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need New Full Set

Ross

Mar 30, 2008
Hi,

As you will tell from my post count this is my first post so here goes.

I'm 13 and 5 foot 2". My junior clubs are far too small for me now so I've been looking around for a new set. I know you lot are probably going to laugh at this but I have no more than £150 (US$300?) to spend so no £700 (US$1400?) Ping, Nike, Callaway or Titleist sets please!

I'm pretty set on the fact I want ladies clubs this time as to be honest mens are just too big.

At my local course I have been looking at some 'Nitro' set- i don't know model names or anything. The shafts were green and you got a driver, 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 5 hybrid, 6-SW irons and a putter for £150 including the bag. Do any of you lot recomend anything else for a similar price?

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
You could look on global golf or ebay. And if I was you I would go to the local golf store and try out a bunch of different clubs.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
I'm with Top there, Ross. If you're from England, there's loads of places you can go to try clubs and find whats good for you. I would suggest going down to an American Golf store (there's loads around) and try there. eBay is also a good place to look at prices etc.

If you need any help sourcing stuff in the UK, give me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you!

OP
Ross

Ross

Mar 30, 2008
Cheers guys.

I'm going to an American Golf tomorrow but I wanted to know if any of you have any recomendations.

With these Nitro clubs that I tried out at the range yesterday I played well but to be honest there isn't a great selection there.

As I said, I'm not planning on spending a grand on Callaway/Ping/Titleist/Nike/Cobra etc.

Just to let you know what sort of player I am...

Can't drive at all, well as of late I can't anyway. I am connecting well but not getting the ball up in the air. That said even the drives that keep low carry 100-120 yards. :dead:I think the ball is too far back in my stance maybe?
With my 5 iron to my 8 iron I am a very good player for my age. Often see the ball carrying 100 yards.

There is still room for improvement when I am within 80 yards of the green with my 9 iron and pitching wedge. I am fairly good out of the rough around the green but not very good in the sand.

My worst thing though is putting. So many times I have a long putt to make bogey I end up with 3/4 over par. Putting always spoils my round.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
You sure can write properly for a 13 year old!

Sounds to me like the ball is a little too central on your drives. Great for where I play, but not for a lot of places.

I would go and get a really good 2nd hand set of irons for your money, and probably a decent putter. I used to buy really cheap putters for years from your age, and the day I bought a decent one, it improved, so I guess thats going to help.

One other thing I would suggest you do with your money, is go get lessons! If you can afford to get some irons AND lessons, I would do. Stuff a putter and a driver/3 wood etc for now. What sort of scores are you putting together anyway? And where do you play?

OP
Ross

Ross

Mar 30, 2008
haha! Cheers mate about the writing!

Are you in England? I'm in Bedford, Bedfordshire and I play at Mowsbury Golf Course. Par is 72 there and my better scores are around the 115 mark. So 43 over par is what, 2 and a tiny bit over par per hole. I lose most of my round through putting- 3 putts is pretty normal for me and 4 happens once or twice a round! Generally on par 3s I hit 4. I am pleased with 5 on par 4s but I tend to get 6 due to poor putting and if both my tee shot and my putting is poor I get 7s. I think it's the same with any kid, par 5s are never great for the round purely because of distance.

So I would say apart from putting all I need to do is become more consistent all round. I need to get my confidence back with the driver again as well.

OP
Ross

Ross

Mar 30, 2008
You sure can write properly for a 13 year old!
I would go and get a really good 2nd hand set of irons for your money, and probably a decent putter. I used to buy really cheap putters for years from your age, and the day I bought a decent one, it improved, so I guess thats going to help.
quote]

I will take your word for that as well mate. Do you think £30 is enough?

And about Global Golf postage to the UK is like 30 quid for an iron set so I think I've ruled them out!

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
If you can find a nice putter for around £30 then go for it, but make sure it's a decent make! I'll take a look over eBay for you and get some links together.

Put simply, if you could stop 4 putts and have half as many 3 putts, you're going to take a lot of shots off your score very quickly. And practice the putting as much as you can, even if it's on the carpet (if your parents tell you to stop it, ask them for a proper putting mat :) )

I'm from near Blackpool just in case you're ever up here. I'll show you a proper course :)

OP
Ross

Ross

Mar 30, 2008
The one I play on (Mowsbury) is council run but theres about 5 or 6 private ones dotted around Bedford which are 'proper' golf courses :D

Anyway cheers for the help mate. I will have a flick through ebay too. I don't like the thought of buying a whole set/ iron set off of ebay though just in case anything goes wrong.

I definatley won't be buying anything until I've been into American Golf tomorow.

Like you say if I improve my putting as much as what you said it will lower my scores by about 10 and then if I just become more consistent all round then I should be able to knock another 10 off. Lets not get carried away though!

Also I've only played 27 holes and been to the range twice in 2008 so I think I will only get better this spring/summer.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
Well put it this way - I played last week in Morecambe and it rained. hard. all day. but I shot +9, and I didn't have a 1 putt anywhere. I had 37 putts, which is a 2 putt on every hole and a 3 putt on one of them. Now think what would've happened if some of those had sunk. I'm down to +5 or +6 at least. Which is so much better. Drives for show, putts for dough etc.

But if you've only played 27 holes, then you'll get better as soon as you get out on the course! You'll knock shots off easily. Keep practising and it will come down!

Let me know how you get on at AG.

OP
Ross

Ross

Mar 30, 2008
Will do mate did you get my PM?

Sorry if links to other sites aren't allowed but anyway these are the ones I was keen on at my club. Oh I have to get 15 posts first lol.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If your clubs are too short for you, that is certainly going to kill your distance, and mess up your aim also as you attempt to compensate for the lack of shaft length. And the other gent is right, drive for show, but putt for dough. The best rounds I have shot lately was when I'd leave the driver in the bag and tee off with my 3 iron.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
clubs

I too had ladies clubs when I was your age. As far as a good beginner set....

I might look for some 3-5 year old nike cpr irons (used for 100-$150). Maybe a taylormade 580xd driver (used for 50-$100). A cleveland 56* SW (used 15-$30) and a odyssey white hot putter (used 15-$30). Then maybe a hybrid of your liking.

180-$310 USD without a hybrid

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Your 13 and your probably going to hit a growth spurt soon so I wouldn’t suggest spending too much money on clubs if you’re going to get ladies clubs IMO. Get some used ones off e-bay save some money and don’t worry about getting ripped off I have had 0 problems and I have bought over 200 items off ebay and have saved a boat load of cash just make sure you read their feedback and stay away from people with low numbers if you’re a little nervous. I know a guy that was on the golf team at my College a D2 school and he was a midget or “little person” and he used standard length clubs.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online