• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need new(to me) iron and bag suggestions...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So, it's been 2 years since my irons and bag were ruined in an unfortunate series of events that ended with them soaking in battery acid for a while......

Any who, I haven't been following the golf equipment scene since I bought that set of irons from Doc. I loved those irons. They were Macgregor but I don't recall the exact model. They were a players style cavity back with a nice thin top line. I would love to stick with something like that as I hit them very well and they looked great as well. Maybe @SiberianDVM remembers.

Would be interested in a 4-pw set up. Could get by with a 5-pw. I don't want any hybrids in the set, I can't seem to hit those very well.

Any suggestions of irons to look into would be appreciated. Would really like to stick in the cheaper stuff, if I can get something under $400 that would be great. Used is fine for me, and in that price range, used is probably my only option.

Just looked at the new Sun Mountain bags, because I really liked my four 5 bag....holy hell are they expensive...$250 seems 'normal'. Pretty sure I got mine for like $150 back in the day. Any suggestions for nice stand bags in the $150 range?

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Global golf has some very good condition Titleist AP1 irons in my price range as well as some Taylormade R7 TP

Any opinions on these?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Check the used irons in Callaway Preowned Golf. The Callaways are a little expensive, but they have other brands.

Also get on the TGW (The Golf Warehouse) site. They have a good selection of used clubs.

IIRC "Second Swing Golf" has used on their website. Most of these sites mentioned have 30 day satisfaction policies.

I believe WBL has been playing the AP1's for some time and likes them. They are a player's cavity back, forged.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
So, it's been 2 years since my irons and bag were ruined in an unfortunate series of events that ended with them soaking in battery acid for a while......

Any who, I haven't been following the golf equipment scene since I bought that set of irons from Doc. I loved those irons. They were Macgregor but I don't recall the exact model. They were a players style cavity back with a nice thin top line. I would love to stick with something like that as I hit them very well and they looked great as well. Maybe @SiberianDVM remembers.

Would be interested in a 4-pw set up. Could get by with a 5-pw. I don't want any hybrids in the set, I can't seem to hit those very well.

Any suggestions of irons to look into would be appreciated. Would really like to stick in the cheaper stuff, if I can get something under $400 that would be great. Used is fine for me, and in that price range, used is probably my only option.

Just looked at the new Sun Mountain bags, because I really liked my four 5 bag....holy hell are they expensive...$250 seems 'normal'. Pretty sure I got mine for like $150 back in the day. Any suggestions for nice stand bags in the $150 range?
I have a set of Taylormade PSi irons 4-GW I have been debating on trading in. Only used on the range an handful of times as they were a back up set I bought for to be similar to my RSi irons that were in my Florida bag. $250 for you. (About half the price than same set on 2nd Swing).

I have pics of them on this post:
Post in thread 'The Force Awakens...'
The Force Awakens...

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Check the used irons in Callaway Preowned Golf. The Callaways are a little expensive, but they have other brands.

Also get on the TGW (The Golf Warehouse) site. They have a good selection of used clubs.

IIRC "Second Swing Golf" has used on their website. Most of these sites mentioned have 30 day satisfaction policies.

I believe WBL has been playing the AP1's for some time and likes them. They are a player's cavity back, forged.
The 30 day stuff is pretty cool...I'll check out those other websites. I only looked at global because that's what came to mind.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I have a set of Taylormade PSi irons 4-GW I have been debating on trading in. Only used on the range an handful of times as they were a back up set I bought for to be similar to my RSi irons that were in my Florida bag. $250 for you. (About half the price than same set on 2nd Swing).

I have pics of them on this post:
Post in thread 'The Force Awakens...'
The Force Awakens...
Damn...that's going to be a tough offer to beat.

What shafts?

Standard length/loft/lie?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Damn...that's going to be a tough offer to beat.

What shafts?

Standard length/loft/lie?
KBS Tour C Taper 105 Stiff
Standard length/loft and lie (ordered from an online site, no customization)

If you are in a rush, I can get them out this week, if you want to look around and test stuff out they are not going anywhere fast so they will likely still be sitting around in a month or two.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
KBS Tour C Taper 105 Stiff
Standard length/loft and lie (ordered from an online site, no customization)

If you are in a rush, I can get them out this week, if you want to look around and test stuff out they are not going anywhere fast so they will likely still be sitting around in a month or two.
Never messed with those shafts, but I'm sure they're solid.

I got a big tree job to do next weekend, was planning on buying then. So I'll look around, but I doubt I'm going to find a deal better than that. So I'll hit you up then.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Never messed with those shafts, but I'm sure they're solid.

I got a big tree job to do next weekend, was planning on buying then. So I'll look around, but I doubt I'm going to find a deal better than that. So I'll hit you up then.
OK. I will be on a cruise ship for a week or so, but can ship when I return. I will have internet access through out.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Global golf has some very good condition Titleist AP1 irons in my price range as well as some Taylormade R7 TP

Any opinions on these?
I've had a set of AP1 714's and I have no desire to change. They are awesome. And I got them from Global Golf. I put some good graphite shafts in them and nothing out there impresses me enough to switch.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

Look for the pxg offering. New the 0211 go for around $75 a club. You can’t beat that

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I actually did buy the TM Psi set from @ualtim. I was supposed to take them to the range today but the wind was just nuts and it's pretty chilly out so that will have to wait.

So I'm set on irons....however, I AM still looking for a bag...I can't believe the prices of these stand bags. I've been watching craigslist and FB Marketplace...can't find anything decent for a good price. $250 for a bag is just too much for me...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
try RockBottom Golf. Best deals on bags I've found. Of course I just dropped almost $300 on my Cally bag I bought at our pro shop.

🔥 Latest posts