• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need ShotTalker advice... ASAP!!!!!

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm in agreement with MCDavis on this one and I get the feeling that, while there is a considerable amount of tongue in cheek with this thread, just under the surface is a sincere question.

My wife's family would absolutely not hesitate to ask some of the questions you got up there and I was well warned going in to my first meeting of them. Luckily, this is my kind of humor and so her advice was to not even hesitate and sling it right back. I did just that and we've been pretty damn close ever since (goign on 10 years). We just recently got back from a 10 day trip to visit them that included 6 days of camping and we had a blast! But again, I enjoy and appreciate that humor. Hell, in my wife's family, not being the butt of jokes means they don't like you.

I just hope that your son does give her a heads up!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
As usual, the advice from the wise ones at ShotTalk is appreciated!! Yes, most of the post was in fun. With the modern techie things like Facebook, etc. our married daughters have had exhaustive communication with their prospective sister-in-law. And, the young lady has not been bashful at all calling and e-mailing my wife.

The son promised us he would wait until 30 to marry. He's made it to 28. He's had an opportunity to witness the toll the career he's chosen can take on a marriage. We will do our best to make this young lady feel welcome... part of our family. But, if she can't take any kidding......

(I particularly like the booster seat suggestion. On my way to McDonald's for lunch to try to heist a couple!!!)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The old joke comes to mind, that should go over really well with her and she'll love you for it as it will make her realize how closely knit KS and NC outside of just College Basketball.

What do a KS tornado and NC divorce have in common?

Someone is gonna lose a trailer. ;)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
My wife is short... just shy of 5'... my Dad gave her all kinds of hell when they met... but in a nice way. I mess with people... not to an extent that it gets annoying... but if someone can't take a little picking then we won't ever get along lol ;)

three puttz

Mar 30, 2009
You'll be fine as long as you don't go too far...

I'm 6-2 and my wife is 4-9... On our second date, I really made an ass of myself (shocker, I know) - I had no idea of her actual height at the time other than she was obviously short. I was nervous as hell bc she was (and still is) WAY out of my league and I didn't know what to say next... so, at one point during dinner I asked her if there was a point when she was still in high school or whatever and hadn't reached 5 feet yet and did people tease her about it... I had no clue - everyone in my family is 5-7 and up (women included) - I was a 20 year old idiot who thought surely ALL adults are at least 5 feet tall - right???

She stared at me for a few seconds, put down her drink, and said "I'm not 5 feet tall NOW"...

And she still married me and tolerates me to this day over 15 years later... So, I wouldn't sweat it...

My wife has to use a step-stool in the kitchen to comfortably use the countertop - I always goof on her for it - but she's way cuter than me and she could easily smother me while I sleep, so we both know who has the upper hand :D

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
...she could easily smother me while I sleep, so we both know who has the upper hand :D

That knowledge... that fear... that reality... has kept me "gentlemanly" and faithful for 43 years of marriage to the same beautiful lady!!!!:biglol::biglol:

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I'm surprised mine hasn't smothered me in my sleep. She's too nice, I guess.

Kevin

kidzwitgunz

Jn 15:13 Ductus Exemplo
Jun 25, 2009
He's had an opportunity to witness the toll the career he's chosen can take on a marriage. We will do our best to make this young lady feel welcome... part of our family. But, if she can't take any kidding......

Know I'm new but QFT to infinty, personally I think a lil bit-o sarcastic and/or black humor is REQUIRED if you wish to marry anyone who serves ANYWHERE close to "engagement" distances, only thing to do when the beast is staring you down is to laugh at it, otherwise you might notice how serious stuff just got and your sanity is scared witless.........

BTW congrats to you and yours, I hope yall have fun too, cuz I thought this was what in-laws (especially those "crazy" father-in-law's)did........?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
cuz I thought this was what in-laws (especially those "crazy" father-in-law's)did........?

It is, my DIL is not only short, right around 5 foot, but she just had a baby, so you know I had fun with her while she was almost as big around as tall, :emot-ange

But she knows we love her, and would probably wonder what was wrong if I didn't. I've met another future DIL twice, and she was fore warned by my son what to expect, :D

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Well, we've had a day and a half with the prospective DIL... and another 2 days to go. She's a darling!!!!! She has not stopped talking since landing in Kansas. She and my married daughters have hit it off far too well!!!! :laugh::laugh:

Our son appears to have made an excellent choice. There seems to be a respect and admiration between them that is great to witness. And, the "southern charm"... calling me "sir" and my wife "ma'am"... doesn't hurt a thing. She also appears to be one who wouldn't get mad... she'd get even! Does not seem to be the type you'd want on your bad side.

One conversation brought up a local "event" in our community. I suggested that all young ladies should stock up on pepper spray. Had never heard a foul word from her the entire time. But, matter of factly, she said "Back home, I've got a concealed carry permit. Anyone even think about bothering me and mine is one dead SOB!!" She immediately then went to discussing another topic with the rest of the girls, like make up or something. Gave me the feeling she could truly take care of herself, if ever necessary!!!!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
One conversation brought up a local "event" in our community. I suggested that all young ladies should stock up on pepper spray. Had never heard a foul word from her the entire time. But, matter of factly, she said "Back home, I've got a concealed carry permit. Anyone even think about bothering me and mine is one dead SOB!!" She immediately then went to discussing another topic with the rest of the girls, like make up or something. Gave me the feeling she could truly take care of herself, if ever necessary!!!!!

A lady with a concealed weapon carry permit, oh be still my beating heart! :thumbs up:

🔥 Latest posts