• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need some advice

307local

May 19, 2009
Alright, I need some advice here. I went golfing for the first time the other day and got totally hooked. Because we were running late, my first club swing ever was off of the first tee, and I still managed to shoot a 115. Here's the deal: I'm 6'9", and playing on a normal set of clubs was frustrating and comical. After talking with the guys at golfsmith and getting a static fitting, it looks like I need a +1 1/2. I swung a g10 7 iron that felt like butter. It was amazing how much better a club that fits felt. However, the sales guy there said basically my 2 options were to invest around 1200 bucks for good clubs sized at the factory when I order them, or play a slightly too small adams tight lies set that comes in a +1. What are my real options for a set of clubs that will fit well enough not to cause bad habits, but won't also cost me a small fortune? Any input would be appreciated.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Build your own set of clubs...

If you can cut and glue paper together, you can put golf clubs together.

You will be able to put an entire set of irons together for anywhere from $100 to as expensive as you want to get.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Clark is right, go to Golfworks.com, or Victory Golf and look at the components they have. A set of FST iron shafts can be had for cheap and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Maltby makes good club heads, so does CER, Hireko, there are several out there. Call Rory at Indacup, a sponsor, he can give you some advice and maybe work out a deal with you? Ken at Victory is very helpful as well.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
If you're just beginning, go with the less expensive clubs that are 1" over. That will get you started... and be better than the standard length you tried. (6'-9"????? And, you play basketball where???) Adams is a reputable OEM. (That is coming from a bona fide Ping fan!!!) Once you play a while and find you are going to stay with the game, you can better judge if you want to spend the money to upgrade.

Welcome to the great game of golf!!! And, welcome to ShotTalk!!!!!!!

judgeman

May 8, 2009
I agree dont spend too much until you are deep into golf :)
clear.gif

xman1112

May 8, 2009
Paul Goydos had some great advice in a recent issue of Golf Magazine in the What I Play section. He said instead of spending $1000 on a set of clubs, a higher handicapper would be better off spending $200 on clubs and $800 on lessons.

The amounts he used aren't so important, but his point is. Since you seem to be hooked, and are serious, a few lessons to get you in the right direction are definitely a wise idea.

Good luck with your game and welcome to Shot Talk...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.