• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some DIY help

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dudes

I need some suggestions...

...we have a tumble dryer in our utility room and the output tube that snakes out the back of it has never made its way to an outside wall. So we normally just open a window in our utility room and “temporarily” snake it out the window.

Now it’s winter SHMBO doesn’t want to open the window, so we are drying clothes with all the condensation being retained in the room. I know that this is going to be bad long term for the paint work, plaster etc. So my question is this. Can I set up a temporary solution to have the tube go into a bucket of something that would absorb the moisture? I thought about Cat Litter, but I’m sure you guys have better suggestions.

Thanks
IG

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Why not just do it right and be done with it?
Cut a hole in the house (4" is the norm here) slide the flapper vent with connected tube inside, caulk the vent on the outside and make the connection to the dryer inside the house.

That's really the only way.

You could set up the vent in a piece of plywood that fits the window and still use it that way, I suppose.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Why not just do it right and be done with it?
Cut a hole in the house (4" is the norm here) slide the flapper vent with connected tube inside, caulk the vent on the outside and make the connection to the dryer inside the house.

That's really the only way.

You could set up the vent in a piece of plywood that fits the window and still use it that way, I suppose.

Yeah that's the obvious route.. However the central heating boiler is in the way and then there is a sink and WC. It then means routing it round both and then cutting a hole. It sorta messes up the whole room and I would have to box off the tube as well. We should have bought a dryer with a built in condenser tray. In meantime I am after a short term fix.

The plywood thing might work though.

Ta

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
They have a little box at Lowes or HD that you partially fill with water. It has an attachment on the top that you slipe the dryer hose over the top. All of the lint gets trapped in the water, and the heat warms your house. I had to use one in college when we had a makeshift W/D in an old apartment and while it isn't perfect, I never had any major complaints.

Some stores don't want to sell them as they consider them a fire hazard, but we still found some, and it beats the alternative.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The window opens, right? Rig something up that is 6-8" tall and you can shut the window on to. Then have the hose connected to a hole in whatever you rig up. It might take an hour or so to get done but it should sufffice till spring once it's done. My dad is the master of jerryrigging. He was quoted something like $4000 for a new double window frame to be installed in the living room. Well, he cut up parts of an old waterbed frame, and after about $30 in other supplies, the thing looks pretty darn good. It's like a 95% color match to the rest of the window frames without any extra stainwork too.
icon10.gif

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
"Who" is spelled with a "w." :p

Are there no worries about CO if you don't vent it outside?

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
just a couple a questions.
first floor or second or basement?
if first floor is it slab on grade or does it have a crawl space?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
"Who" is spelled with a "w." :p

Are there no worries about CO if you don't vent it outside?

I'm sure Colorado is fine whether he vents or not. ;)

CO2? It shouldn't be a problem as it's just forced air. You can actually buy heat traps that force the warmth back into your house during the winter months. They're about 10 bucks.

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hope you've got a fire station near you.

1. Lint trapped in hose burns. House burns. Bad idea.

2. Cut hole in house. Lint gets outside. House doesn't burn. Better idea.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm sure Colorado is fine whether he vents or not. ;)

CO2? It shouldn't be a problem as it's just forced air. You can actually buy heat traps that force the warmth back into your house during the winter months. They're about 10 bucks.

R35

CO = Carbon Monoxide

Only a problem with a gas-powered dryer.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
CO = Carbon Monoxide

Only a problem with a gas-powered dryer.

E,

I was aware. Just poking fun at Farq. ;)

I woulda mentioned CO if it was gas powered. Those vents that I mentioned are made strictly for forced air only.

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Just poking fun at Farq.... I woulda mentioned CO if it was gas powered.

Poke away, dude. I expect nothing less...;)

E is on point, CO was the intended compound. Didn't know if it was gas or electric. With all the pants soilage that goes on in that house, I figure they do a lot of laundry. If it were a gas dryer, I'd miss his posts. :p

The CO2 would come from all that Guinness. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online