• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some help

haxx27

Jun 20, 2007
Alright, I've been golfing for around 8 years, and I'm not going to lie. I'm terrible at it. The other day I played one of my buddies who has been golfing for around three years he said, he's my age (16) and shooting in the 70's.

Everyone tells me I have a really good looking swing and blah blah, but I can't seem to transfer my weight to hit the ball further. I'm hitting a 5-iron 150 yards using my arms only. My dad told me if I learned how to transfer my weight properly I could add at least another 40 yards to all of my shots. If I could hit the ball farther and put it in on the green from even 230 yards out, then I'm sure my game would improve.

I've been to various golf lessons, looked at things on the internet, and nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas?? I'm open to any suggestions

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
wow seems like an older version of where I was. When you make contact with the ball, TRY to almost fall forward towards your target. Don't overswing but just make sure to let your lower body get through the ball. Good luck and it is definately true what your dad said. I was just like you and then I started transferring my weight and I hit my 5 iron around 200 yards easy. So def. listen to your dad and try to fall forward almost after you make contact

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Also a strong shoulder turn promotes weight being shifted to the back, and as the shoulders come back around, generally the body shifts forward.

Don't think of a swing as a swaying, but as a slinky.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You are a prime candidate for the Gary Player "Step-Through" drill.

There are actually two drills that work wonders for learning how to feel a good weight shift.

1. Take your normal stance. Use a 7-iron to SMOOTHLY hit a teed-up ball. You want to push off your right foot as you swing down and through the ball, so that you actually take a full step forward and end up well ahead of your address position. Step forward and "through" the shot. You will step with the right foot, and your momentum will carry your left foot forward to finish the step. It is going to feel extremely awkward at first. You may even miss the ball. Keep at it. You will eventually feel the timing needed to strike the ball, and continue moving your weight forward.

2. Teed-up 7-iron again. Take your normal stance, then bring your left foot to the right, so that your feet are together and the ball is well ahead of you. As you swing back, feel your weight coiling up onto your right foot, then step forward with your left foot and swing down and through the ball. The leg action is like a batter's. He stands back in the box, then as the ball approaches, he steps forward into the pitch and swings. Same motion.

Practice both of these drills, and you will develop the weight transfer you are looking for.

<edit 1> Don't worry about ball flight. It's very difficult to make solid contact when doing either of these drills. You are only worried about feeling your weight going through the ball at impact.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
An old book by Julius Boros is titled "Swing Easy, Hit Hard". Sometimes we simply swing too hard. It is difficult to make good ball contact and doubly difficult to get a proper weight shift if you are overswinging. That said...

Do NOT get wrapped up in hitting your clubs long distances. Play YOUR game and YOUR course. 330 yard par 4... 150 off the tee and another 150 yard 5-iron and you're left with a 30 yard chip and putt for par. 18 pars is pretty good! Find the fairway first and the distances will take care of themselves. Relax... make good contact... play YOUR game. I have lots of fun with youngsters who hit the ball a long ways. I have a son-in-law who can BOMB his driver 300+. Yet, at the end of the round I usually have him by at least a half dozen strokes.

This IS a frustrating game. And, as we struggle to improve, the frustration can become enhanced. As we become more frustrated, we swing harder and see our game deteriorate even more. I tutored high school age golfers for a number of years. I would never let them put a driver in the bag until they could play nine holes and hit every fairway with irons or fairway woods. Once they had the confidence... and the ability... to put the ball in play the mental side of hitting a driver came much easier. Play YOUR game! Play YOUR course! Play fairway golf and your frustration will diminish and your game will improve.

Good luck... and WELCOME!

OP
haxx27

haxx27

Jun 20, 2007
Alright guys, thanks for the tips. I'll definetley try them next time I play

🔥 Latest posts