• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some how to of reshafting irons

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
United States United States
I know I can YouTube this, and I have. But I can't ask YouTube questions and you guys have the experience.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic? I think I'm going to reshaft my Ben Hogan irons. The lengths are just so short I feel like I'm having to hunch down for most of them. For example the 7 iron is about 1.5 inches shorter than my wedges. I absolutely love these forged irons, after I reshaft them I see myself using these for a very long time. They feel fantastic and the ball flight is perfect for my style of play.

I understand how to (but never have) remove the heads and know how to regrip, it's the shaft lengths and installing them I'm needing to know more about.

Much appreciation in advance for any help!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What model Hogans? Some of the older model irons had the heads pinned making it SUPER hard to pull the head.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
IT may not be as bad as I originally thought. If your not going to save the shaft you may be able to cut and drill with a 1/8" bit. Do they look like bore throughs?

Looks like the tip size would be .355 taper, thats easy. This could be a fun project. Kind of jealous!

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
IT may not be as bad as I originally thought. If your not going to save the shaft you may be able to cut and drill with a 1/8" bit. Do they look like bore throughs?

Looks like the tip size would be .355 taper, thats easy. This could be a fun project. Kind of jealous!
I would have absolutely no idea what a bore through would be. I'm not sure if I would call this fun lol

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I would have absolutely no idea what a bore through would be. I'm not sure if I would call this fun lol
LOL, ok. What do the hosels look like? Is there a rubber plug or anything that looks like the top of a pin anywhere on the hosel?

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I figure a pic is better than my poor attempt to explain

Attachments

• 1375062075916.jpg
    1375062075916.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 89

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I figure a pic is better than my poor attempt to explain
You might be in luck. You could always take one and try heating the hosel with a propane torch. Shouldn't take long to break down the epoxy, then u can twist the head off. If it doesn't come off easy you will know if its held on with a pin.

Then we will have to figure out what next! If you can get the shafts out it should be no big deal to put them back together.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
The epoxy will fail at 200 degrees. You can be super gentle and boil water or use heated sand like they do for eyeglass bending but the torch is so easy its not worth chasing on metal shafts just super expensive graphite.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I use a heat gun I bought at Harbor Freight for $16.00.
I've heard many people use this method, I never have though. Seems like it would take forever.

For steel shafts I use a propane torch. For graphite I use butane.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think I'm going to fire up the grill and throw them in there for a few minutes :rolleyes:
You laugh but if you let the grill heat up it should work. It will most likely make a mess, but it should work. :)

All your looking to do is break down the epoxy.

🔥 Latest posts