• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some iPhone help

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
First off, I am not getting an iPhone for myself. I prefer Droids.

My daughter has an iPhone 4. She spilled some water on it, and now the camera won't work. So, I want to replace it.

I can replace it via insurance for $169.
I can "upgrade" her to an iPhone 5 for $199. Of course, this comes with a new 2 year contract, which is fine with me.

For some reason, I thought I heard the 5 wasn't that great a phone, but I could easily be wrong as I really don't keep up with phone technology.

So, phone guys, do I get her the 5 for $30 more? I realize it's not a lot of money, so that's really not a big factor. I just don't want to upgrade to a phone that's going to be a problem.

And, let's keep this about the iPhones, and not about cost. She doesn't want to switch away from iPhone, and the cost isn't really a factor.

Thanks for any input!

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I use one for my work phone. From what I understand about from iPhone users is that there really is never a big difference between any of the new models. They just make tiny upgrades here and there

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I have the 4s which has an upgraded processor from the 4 and is a noticeable difference. The 5 jumps up to 4G speed which is a substantial gain if she uses her phone for anything online (which I assume she does). It also has a larger screen than the 4 which I would like to have.
I love my 4s and if I had the chance to upgrade to a 5 for $30 I wouldn't hesitate.

JImmy Gregory

Aug 8, 2013
Country
Get the 5 or wait for the newer version of the 5. The 5 is better than the 4s, simply put. Larger screen, thinner profile better running. I was a droid guy forever, my wife has had every major release of iPhone since 2007. I've had this iPhone (5) for a few months now and have not had a single problem. Battery lasts all day and I am a power user.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have the 4s which has an upgraded processor from the 4 and is a noticeable difference. The 5 jumps up to 4G speed which is a substantial gain if she uses her phone for anything online (which I assume she does). It also has a larger screen than the 4 which I would like to have.
I love my 4s and if I had the chance to upgrade to a 5 for $30 I wouldn't hesitate.
I have the 4S and its on 4G. I think that depends on your carrier an area, I'm with AT&T.

The 5 has a slightly larger screen than the 4S and the plug changed. Now you can't use the same plug for your iPhone, iPod and iPad. To some its a big deal, I don't really care.

For $30 more I would do the 5. Don't know when the next version is coming out but I can't imagine a huge difference between the 5 and 5*.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
The 4s is 4G and the 5 is 4G LTE which is another step faster. My Mom and Dad just got iPhone 5 upgrades and they are super fast. They had the 4s before and they said the 5 is a lot faster. I have a 4 and their 4s iPhones were faster than mine by a good bit. They really like their new phones.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Study: 25% of American toddlers know how to use an iPad.

That's nothing. 100% of Chinese toddlers know how to make one.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The 4s is 4G and the 5 is 4G LTE which is another step faster. My Mom and Dad just got iPhone 5 upgrades and they are super fast. They had the 4s before and they said the 5 is a lot faster. I have a 4 and their 4s iPhones were faster than mine by a good bit. They really like their new phones.
Good to know!

I went from the 3 to the 4S, so the 4S seems like lightning!

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
AT&T 4G non LTE sucks.

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1376171662.628898.jpg

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Yep, no problems at all with the 5, great phone. If the contract is not an issue then go nuts. Of course, the new phone is expected out in 4-6 weeks so it could be a chance to get a 5 cheaper, or the 5S for the $199 price. How's her patience? :D

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I have had various electronics dropped in water or rained on that I have brought back from the dead. You could try putting the device in a zip lock bag or tupperware with some uncooked white rice. It should draw the water out of the phone. Just keep it sealed for 48 hours.

OP
MCDavis

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Thanks for all the input, and keep it coming if there's any other opinions.

Trumb, we tried that but the camera would not come back. Phone works fine, it's just the camera. And, given my girls don't live with me full time due to the divorce, the camera is important to me as they post pics various places that I can see.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Yep, no problems at all with the 5, great phone. If the contract is not an issue then go nuts. Of course, the new phone is expected out in 4-6 weeks so it could be a chance to get a 5 cheaper, or the 5S for the $199 price. How's her patience? :D
This.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I have had various electronics dropped in water or rained on that I have brought back from the dead. You could try putting the device in a zip lock bag or tupperware with some uncooked white rice. It should draw the water out of the phone. Just keep it sealed for 48 hours.

I once dropped a bag of rice in the toilet. I just put it in a box of smart phones and it was fine after a couple of days.

🔥 Latest posts