• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Some Shaft Ideas

playtheblues

Sep 16, 2005
I recently purchased a R7 driver with the stock shaft in Stiff Flex.
Didn't care for it much and so I put a Graphite Design YS 6+ in Stiff in it. I don't care for this either as I feel I'm having to work too hard and I'm getting less distance than the R540 I had before.

My swing speed is 104-107, I have a smooth swing and I'm a lower single digit hdcp. My previous driver, R540 had a GD YS 6 in regular flex. I used to carry the ball about 250-260. I got rid of the regular as I tended to snap hook it occasionally.

I need some ideas from you club builders out there about what might be the right shaft. Thanks in advance.....

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm not a club builder but have hit enough shafts to know what I like. I have a similar swing speed to yours, but a quick tempo. I am currently playing the Graffaloy Blue in my driver and the NV-65 in my 3W.

Both are excellent shafts in my opinion. The Blue definitely plays stiffer and launches lower than the NV. I like the feel of the Blue in the driver mostly because of the confidence it gives me to go after the ball. (You need to swing hard to get the most out of this shaft) The traj will take some getting used to, but I have only been playing the Blue for about a week.

I couldn't be happier with the NV in the 3W.

I am no expert... just a hack that has some advice. Obigain is our resident expert and the man to talk to here.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I am partial to the NV 75s myself.

I have a Launcher with the pro launch blue (stiff) and it's like swinging a board.
I'll be reshafting it with the NV in a couple of weeks.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
If you go with a Graffalloy Blue, try the regular flex as they tend to run a bit stiffer than most other shafts of the same flex. I have a Graffalloy Blue Pro Launch in one driver and a Graffalloy Prototype NT (with Blue tip technology) in my primary driver both in regular flex and I normally play with a stiff flex. I won a UST Pro V2 which feels great but is not stiff enough for my swing in regular flex (could not choose flex as it was a contest.)

I love the Graffalloy shafts, but the V2 feels even better. My recommendation would be to go get fitted for a shaft if you can, so that you can try the different shafts and get some launch info to help you in your selection. If that is not feesable, try the Golfsmith website as they have some good information on the different shafts that help compare the shafts to each other.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you like the ys-6 but regular was not stiff enough, try the NVS 75. It is a higher launch, softer tip shaft than the NV.

Powerfade

Sep 23, 2005
The Golfsmith website offers information on flex point (impacts trajectory) and recommended swing speed ratings which give you a good starting point. Most clubfitters suggest that you play the most flexible shaft you can control. Given your smooth swing tempo and snap hooks I would suggest you play a stiffer flex shaft with a high bend point, provided the shot trajectory is not too low. A weight adjustment on the R7 may also reduce the hook too. You did not mention the loft of your driver, but a higher loft and tip stiff shaft like a Grafalloy Blue may be an excellent combination. The higher loft driver with a shaft that produces a lower spin rate may result in straighter shots. Good luck.

🔥 Latest posts