• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Suggestions on Additional Equipment

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
I'm looking for some advice. Since I started taking lessons 8 weeks ago I've been hovering right around 100 for most rounds I play. I picked up a book called 'Break 100 Now!' which made some great equipment suggestions that might help me to improve my game.

The main suggestion was the removal of the driver from the bag and teeing off with a 3 Wood on the longer holes. I have been doing this for the last two weeks with success. Yesterday I hit 7 of the 14 fairways I teed off with the 3W. I was also consistently around 230-250 yards off the tee.

The other suggestions for woods focused around higher woods (5W, 7W, etc) and removing the long irons to make room for the higher woods. I have some ideas and I would like your thoughts.

I was thinking about getting a Callaway Steelhead III 5 Wood Graphite Firm (to use from 210-230), and then getting a Taylor Made Rescue Mid 3 Steel and Taylor Made Rescue Mid 4 Steel to replace the 3 and 4 irons (as I have been having a hard time lately with my 3 and 4 irons).

Does this plan make sense? Following that plan, is there any need for a Rescue Mid 2? How would a 5 Wood and a Rescue Mid 2 differ in ball flight and distance?

So far following the advice, I scored a good 99 yesterday (a few 3 putt holes souring a good day). So I am playing better and hitting with a little more control off the tee.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
You have done a great job of assembling equipment in a short period of time.

While i am not familiar with these exact models of hybrids - as a generality - I think it is a good idea for you to get the 3 and 4 irons out of your bag and replace them with hybrids of good quality that you have demoed extensively (and feel confident with).

If you are hitting 7 of 14 fairways from the tee now - this is outstanding. Look at the PGA Tour on a Sunday and they will not do much better than this.

So my analysis of your situation leads me - Away - from the "long clubs" you have focused on here.

When we have a player who is playing around 100 and has a good tee game -this is Good. It leads us to focus on the Short Game though....because if you are getting the lenghth and accuracy from the tee that you are reporting - it means that you will get the greatest bang for your buck(effort) in focusing on the Short game at this point.

Sounds like to you have time and money to spend on your game.

Great!

Go ahead and get the hybrid to replace 3/4 iron(s).

Then focus on your game from 100 yards and In. You have excellent equipment now and focusing on this Scoring aspect (IMHO) will give you the best shot at lower scores now.

Maybe this means getting lessons on all aspects of this.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Hallejullah brother Bravo!

The man speaketh the truth. Amen.

I have gotten my driver to the point where I am hitting 280 - 310 but it has a fade that can turn into a nasty slice......I am getting it dialed in though.

So I find that I use my 8 iron the most, can't remember the last time I grabbed the 5. and I have recently discovered that my lack of a gap wedge is killing me (so's my putting, but that's another story).

Sand wedge is too short and the PW is too long.

My friend, the kook in the pics with the wall mount over his......er.....nevermind......Is putting one together for me.

I hope that aleiviates some of my short game inconsistancies.

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
My main focus at the driving range is my short game. I have been spending my time at the range in the following way:

30 minutes putting - mostly from 6 foot in, with a lag drill to end it
20 minutes chipping - short chipping - within 15 yards
30 minutes on the range - about 4-5 balls per club working from 9I back to 3W

This past Sunday I had 5 holes of 3 putts. I also had a hard time out of one bunker (3 tries to get out). The biggest problem was the mid-to-short irons as you described. I only had 1 or 2 greens in regulation. I am swinging the club well. My aim requires work. So I will focus time there.

I still want to add equipment to handle the 200 yard range. I just won a Steelhead III 5 Wood for $130 on eBay (I really like my Steelhead III 3 Wood). And I plan to purchase a Rescue Mid 3. I think I will stop there. If I find I really like the Rescue Mid 3 I might think about a 4.

We will be playing a couple of courses coming up that feature a good number of 200 yard shots (one has 3 par-3's between 190 and 220). The other has some nice dogleg holes that require a good 200 yard club. It is for these situations I want the Rescue Mid 3. I am not hitting my 3 Iron well right now and hope it will help...

I have my 5th lesson in a series of 5 lessons tomorrow evening - covering putting. The lessons have me swinging the club very well. I have noticed a huge difference. I feel alot more confident. Now I have to work on putting the ball where I want it...

TourCraft

Aug 26, 2004
when working on your putting-

find the range at which the putt is no longer a "gimmie". for me its pretty much anything outside of 5 feet.

when faced with a putt greater than this range, dont try to get the ball in the hole. you main concern is speed. imagine a trashcan sitting over the hole, could you hit something of that size? sure. so try to get the ball into that size of an area near the hole instead of trying (too hard) to put the ball in the hole. then simply walk up and tap you next shot in. just practice getting it close.
speed is the key, the line will follow.

TourCraft

Aug 26, 2004
for your equipment-

golf is a game of advancing the ball to your target (the hole). look at your clubs and divide them into 2 categories.

1. positioning clubs
2. scoring clubs

what is the longest range club in your bag that you can confidently hit the green with? take that club and everything shorter and those are your scoring clubs. all of the rest are positioning clubs.

to give you an example:
lets say your 7 iron is your longest scoring club and you hit it 150yds. if you are 250 yards from the green your goal isnt the green, its to get within your 150 yard scoring range. use a positioning (or even a scoring) club to get you comfortably within that scoring range. from 250, you can hit a 7 iron into pitching wedge range just as easily as you can top two 3 woods and slice a 5 wood for 3 wasted shots and still be 150 yards away. see what im saying?

sure its cool to hit a par 5 in 2, but it really sucks to be on in 7 too.

so, look at your clubs and use them to your advantage.

as you get better your scoring clubs will get longer (6,5,4 irons etc..) but for now take it slow and dont get discouraged. remember youre doing this for fun and the better you get, the funner it is.

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
New clubs have been purchased...

I won an eBay auction last night from Callaway Preowned for a Steelhead III 5 Wood Graphite Firm for $128. It is in 'Like New' condition. I expect to have that in a few days.

I just got back from Dick's where I bought a new Taylor Made Rescue Mid 3 Graphite Stiff for $20 (I had $150 in gift certificates and a $10 off coupon).

I'm gonna stop there. I am now good from the 200-225 range and I have something I might be able to hit better than my 3 Iron.

I look forward to trying out the new clubs this weekend...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Great job.

You have really nice equipment and have covered your yardages beautifully...

Let us know how the putting lesson goes...

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
Lesson went well...

We started on the camera with my irons to see how my swing looked. I managed to knock off a gem of a shot straight - everything in the swing looked correct (I'll be damed if I can repeat it - but I did prove to myself that I could do it).

Then we went to putting. I hunch too much and I need some work on lining up the ball. STanding up taller seemed easier to hit the ball well, so I will definitely be working on that.

My five lessons are done. I feel I've come a long way and I have more confidence on the course. I may take a 1.5 hour course lesson with the same pro (we spend 90 minutes out playing on the course). It would be good to see how he approaches the game when he plays, and specific holes in general.

That will probably be next month.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Cybr:

PLEASE take the playing lesson.

Do not hesitate.

You'll be so glad you did.

After 40 years of playing the game - I am convinced I need this right now...

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
When I'm watching TGC's Playing Lessons from the Pro, I imagine the cameraman is me and that I'm playing with the pro.
The one I liked the most was the one with Nick Faldo. The guy really cracks me up. :p

🔥 Latest posts