• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need to get longer off the tee

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
chaps,

why are you doubting Rory, has no oine in here read Tom Wishons work? The flex of a shaft, when matched correctly to release point, transition and overall tempo will increase speed, its not rocket science. Its been around for years, the old adage of swing fast and you need a stiff flex has been debunked donkeys years ago (you may do, but thats not the point).

If all you need is a flexy shaft then all the long drive gorillas would use them wouldn't they? fact is they would snapo them, you need to time the load of the shaft as near to the ball as you can, so to increase distance it follows that its a combination of

well matched shaft to swing

a fit and able person,

hitting from sweetspot

as for maths not adding up, ie the issue with 102mph, what about launch angle, what about the ball?

so get the right gear, practice and go to the gym, don;t get hung up on numbers, its the same as swing weight, its just a number, same as swing speed, its just a number

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Foolish post Dave, I think you didn't read the thread. No one is doubting Rory's numbers, and Rory said himself that even WISHON only has theories as to how this is happening. My contention is that the 102 clubhead speed is not accurate; that the number is lying, not Rory.

In theory, if people believed a clubfitter could have them hitting it 300 yards with an above-avg swing speed, that would be VERY beneficial, btw. But I am not making that accusation.

The flexy shaft is already factored into the CHS, Dave. It's not like you're applying 102mph to the shaft; you're applying a force which cooperates with the shaft to produce that numer: 102.

Launch angle and spin rates are not going to make a 102 cluhead speed produce a 280+ yard drive according to every piece of science I've ever seen, including Wishon's.

The numbers are wrong.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
yeh, probably

maybe it was windy

maybe Wishon is not yet 100% right,

maybe their are discoveries as yet undiscovered

whatever, extra length still equals getting fitter, getting fitted and improving swing mechanics, those bits do add up.

Phana24JG

Phana24JG
Nov 10, 2009
chaps,

why are you doubting Rory, has no oine in here read Tom Wishons work? The flex of a shaft, when matched correctly to release point, transition and overall tempo will increase speed, its not rocket science. Its been around for years, the old adage of swing fast and you need a stiff flex has been debunked donkeys years ago (you may do, but thats not the point).
If all you need is a flexy shaft then all the long drive gorillas would use them wouldn't they? fact is they would snapo them, you need to time the load of the shaft as near to the ball as you can, so to increase distance it follows that its a combination of
well matched shaft to swing
a fit and able person,
hitting from sweetspot
as for maths not adding up, ie the issue with 102mph, what about launch angle, what about the ball?
so get the right gear, practice and go to the gym, don;t get hung up on numbers, its the same as swing weight, its just a number, same as swing speed, its just a number

Dave, please read what people have actually written, it is not what your premature inference suggests. We believe Rory, but we also know, and Rory agrees that the current laws of ball flight and physics cannot allow a 102mph swing to sent a ball 300 yards unless the club in question has a mass of about 2.5 times that of most drivers. We are basically in agreement that the launch monitor is providing some inacccurate numbers, and we have tossed around a few suggestions. I believe you may have a couple of things I posted and misinterpreted them as being code words implying Rory is lying. All I said was that if a truly accurate launch monitor confirms these numbers, then I can assure you of at least two people that will probably pay this guy to fly to their facility, because something very strange would be going on. Most likely, he is swinging much faster than 102, and the LM is phucking up.

🔥 Latest posts