• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New and seeking clubs

Jim

Sep 28, 2007
Hi all.

I played my first 2 games of golf. In one weekend. 36 holes. In China. haha!

I borrowed someones "extra" set of Pings. I had fun.
Now I want to buy an inexpensive but decent set of clubs.

My main targets are...

Golden Bear G Power Package set, $179
Golden Bear Accuforce Stand Bag $49

OR

Golden Bear XS 460 11 piece set $169 includes bag.

I am not a pro, but I prefer the steel shafts of the XS,
and the Weighted driver of the G Power set.

Does anyone have any opinion on which is the better choice?
Or any alternative choices?

Thanks.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Hi Jim, welcome to the board.

The choices you have selected are inexpensive but not decent. In this case I don't think you can have both.

We always recommend Tommy Armour 845's for everyone who asks this very question. They are a name brand iron set that work very well for beginners and only cost $200. Throw in Cleveland Launcher and a putter and I think you are out the door for around $400 with clubs that will last a long time and be re-sell able.

If you just want to screw around then get the golden bears set......it matters not at all which one.

That said, have a look around the ST pro shop (Global Golf) by clicking the link in the nav bar at the top of the page. There are shed loads of used gear there that will fit the bill and the wallet nicely.

OP
Jim

Jim

Sep 28, 2007
Slingblade 61,

Thanks for your help.

I checked out the 845's, pricing is $600 on the Global Golf link!

I am not sure how often I will get to golf these days, so I want to go
inexpensive until I can at least play for beers!

OP
Jim

Jim

Sep 28, 2007
Did I get a thumbs down rating?
OK, I will read the FAQ's!

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I am the local heretic. If I was just starting out, I would find a shop that sells decent quality clones and try them first. The resale value will be poor, but the clubs will be decent. I know several people who are very happy with the fitted Pinemeadow irons they have. Full set of irons and hybrids for around $200.

Do not buy clones on the internet. Some are trash.

Don't bother with a driver. Get a larger headed 3 wood and stick with that until you hit most of the fairways with it. Then think about a driver.

I stared with a boxed set like you are looking at and was totally past them in 3 months.

If you like to read about your hobby, read Tom Wishon's "The Search for the Perfect Golf Club".

OP
Jim

Jim

Sep 28, 2007
but I LIKE the VCG's. :(

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Did I get a thumbs down rating?
OK, I will read the FAQ's!

I think you accidently did that to your own thread. :laugh:

I always recommend used clubs. There are craploads of good used irons on Ebay. Globalgolf has the best deals on drivers, fairway woods and hybrid clubs. I have only one new club in my whole bag. I've spent $990 on all my clubs but retail new, without even considering shaft upgrades, is about $2700. So paying about 1/3 of the new cost for very good condition used is a realistic possibility.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.