• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New and seeking clubs

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hitting a friend's 845 Silver Scots is what lead me to buy my 845's.

Great clubs for a new golfer. The Global Golf deal is ideal.

OP
Jim

Jim

Sep 28, 2007
I think the 'puter knew my golf score, and generated the thumbs down...

OP
Jim

Jim

Sep 28, 2007
What about Powerbuilt PB100 set? I am trying to go cheap because I am very bad right now!

The Silver Scots Irons look great for the price, but if I add a driver, some hybrid woods, and a bag I am over my "allowed limit"....:(

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
One more time, don't bother with a driver. For most people, it is hardest club in bag to hit. When I was at your stage, I tee'd off with a 4 wood or a 3 iron.

A 17* hybrid would be good for you right now.

clear33765

May 23, 2008
Hi Jim, welcome to the board.

The choices you have selected are inexpensive but not decent. In this case I don't think you can have both.

What exactly do you not like about the Golden Bear G Power Package set, $179?

My specific reason for asking....

I upgraded from the Spaulding Executive set I played with for 20 yrs. I kept that set around just for a second set when I have family friends come down from Chicago to visit me in Florida. Last year (stupid me) left the tailgate down to my pickup truck and lost the Executive 3 4 and 7 irons, so now I have an incomplete set. I was just looking for a spare set to keep around so family can use without dragging their own own clubs down.

I saw the Golden Bear G Power at Dicks Sporting Godds and thought they would be decent. Nothing fantastic, but at least a full set of everything you would need to be satisfied playing a round. I would never expect great quality out of the driver and woods and maybe not even the hybrids. But I would expect the irons to decent.

Again, anything specific about what anyone doesn't like about this set? I figure this would be better than someone renting clubs or using the half set of Executives I have gets annoying real fast. Sharing my clubs also gets annoying. I didn't want to spend a lot on just a spare set for visitors but don't want to buy something that may fall apart.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Well, I've never hit the Nicklaus clubs you're talking about, but I have hit clubs that cost a lot more than them, and I'm betting that the extra money counts for something!

Having said that, the set I had (still have as backups) prior to my current (expensive) set, cost me $150 used, and I was very, very happy with them. Those irons cost $1000 new when they were discontinued in 2000. Tremendous bargain today.

To me, unless you have hit an expensive set that just "does it for you," then you're simply foolish not to buy a used set of quality irons. And at that point, the relative quality/value of el cheapo sets becomes moot.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.