• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Ball Rules From The USGA and R&A

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
1678811389313.png

Limiting drives to 317 yards will affect every member of that other site. 😂

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I think this is a bit of a PR exercise to show that some thought has been put towards this. The simple fact is that the modern-day pro is now an athlete compared to his forefathers. Training, tracking and equipment (including the ball) has added 30-40 yards onto what was achievable 40 years ago. It has grown the game to a bomb and gauge strategy. Limiting the ball in this way will have no real effect. Sadly there is less emphasis on shotmaking these days. The only way to combat it is to grow the rough and shear the greens.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
LOL, Bryson is getting dragged for this. People saying "It's only for elite and professionals, Bryson, you're not affected" 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure he actually said it (doesn't feel like a real quote) but it's funny either way.

1678898760510.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
No, "everyone" doesn't want to see the ball hit further!! I dislike "bomb and gouge" golf. It's no fun watching players hit driver 9 iron on long par 5's. Where's the shotmaking? Where's "do I go for it or do I lay up"? Last week they were driving a 400 yard par 4. I'm disagreeing with Bryson... and y'all can tell him I ain't backin' down from that opinion!!! :>)

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Apparently I’ve been under a rock for the past week or two, because I’ve heard nothing about this... 🤷‍♂️

For what its worth, I feel like all these rule changes end up hurting the ‘average’ golf crowd and mean next to nothing to the pros. Still feel strongly there should be two sets of rules!!

🔥 Latest posts