• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Bulbs please, I've shot the lights out !

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
I can imagine the conversation now...

I arrive knackered after a sleepless overnight flight...

Mrs all excited to see me..."Hi! How was the flight? Miss me at all?"

Me..."oh...yeah, of course I did, very much...where's wee Hannah?"

Mrs..."Well, I thought it would be romantic if I met you myself. I should have known better. You're a selfish pig."

Ye cannae win, Davie...

LOL.... yeah Kilted ... wow that's 2 posts in a row that we agree on !

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
I was too busy giving post round interviews QUOTE]

Seriously though, record this round for us lot. Talk us through it shot by shot. Yardages, clubs, etc. along with how you were feeling before, during and after.

Could it have been better? Any lucky breaks? Were you shaking standing over the last few putts when you were -5? Were you playing with Yoga Man?

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Dave Ireland said:
I was too busy giving post round interviews QUOTE]

Seriously though, record this round for us lot. Talk us through it shot by shot. Yardages, clubs, etc. along with how you were feeling before, during and after.

Could it have been better? Any lucky breaks? Were you shaking standing over the last few putts when you were -5? Were you playing with Yoga Man?
Thanks for the interest Irish - you ever see Monty when he has his S**te together, that real languid swing - that's how I felt from the start on Monday. The key shots were as follows :

The birds :

#4 127 yards par 3 over water to an elevated green, sloping back to front - pin at the front. PW over the flag, spun back off the slope, 5 feet left to right putt

#6 167 yards par 3 to elevated green - breeze right/left - high 6 iron draw to 2 feet - uphill putt kickin

#8 350 yard par 4 slight dogleg left onto a downslope fairway - 3 wood draw to bottom of slope, 40 yard lob wedge to green sloping front/back 4 feet past, rapped the putt uphill and in.

The eagle :

#9 497 yard par 5, drive left me 179 (give or take) yards ball slightly above my feet got a nice lie sitting up on the slightly longer grass separating fairway and rough. Shot was in over hedge/scrub and midsize trees, which left the green only partially visible. Reached for the 6 iron that had served me well on #6 and set if off on a line for right hand side of the green and it just screamed off the clubface. I remarked to the guys that I thought I'd absolutley creamed the shot. Trekked up to the green which slopes right/left and front to back so the bottom of the pin wasn't visible until you were just off the green to see my Callaway HX Tour (who I slept with that night, and am calling her Doreen) sitting 4 feet away. I would usually have given the hole a ball and a half outside left - but this was an all or nothing, so lined up just inside the left lip and boxed it - I replaced the hole to its original position afterwards :D

The greedy bastard hole :

#5 par 5 471 yards. 3 wood and 7 iron just off the green pin high 15 feet away about a club length off the green in lush fringe grass. Reached for the flat stick instead of a chip shot - overestimated the drag of fringe grass and went 4 feet past - pulled the (knickers) off the putt (straight uphill)

The lucky bastard hole:

#7 435 yard par4 index 2. This hole is all uphill - theres a big spreading chestnut tree (that's a song isn't it?) about 235 yards slap bang middle of the fairway - 10 yards to the left of it is a lake - 20 yards to the right is OB. You're nearly forced to hit the big dog, coz anything short of the tree and youre impeded, leaving you a long iron fade/draw. Anyways I caught the drive off the heel of the club, it went about head high straight for the lake. i thought it was in, but was a yard short of it, the thickish rough had held it up. Chunked it into a greenside bunker, ran it 20 feet past and holed a 2 feet swing left/righter

So that's the story of my greatness - shot 79 yesterday but holed nothing.

BTW ... the HX Tour was a find. I always believed that a find was a ball just waiting to be lost gain .. but me and Doreen are thinking of starting a family ... sometimes true love can be found in a lateral water hazard guys ;) ... just ask IG and Kilted about them holdie handsies in Portstewart

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Loved the descriptions....great writing. Those of us in North America could understand it too!!;)

You were just hitting them stiff. That is the way I have to make my birdies since I am such an average putter. Gotta hit inside ten feet.

I think Doreen should be mounted on a plaque and hung on a wall in your office....

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Way to go Dave.

Don't ya just love the occasional day when the ball goes where you want it to.

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
Loved the descriptions....great writing. Those of us in North America could understand it too!!;)

You were just hitting them stiff. That is the way I have to make my birdies since I am such an average putter. Gotta hit inside ten feet.

I think Doreen should be mounted on a plaque and hung on a wall in your office....

Thanks Bravo ... yeah I'm much the same - I usually hole a 20 - 25 footer somewhere in the round - but more often than not it's to save a score rather than make a bird. My putting has improved immensely in the last month or so, and the strange thing is, my putting stroke isn't as smooth. I gave up on the long follow thru push to the hole and have a more jabbing action, but I think I now align myself far better now looking behind the ball towards the hole helps me see the line far better.

As for mounting Doreen, she sez she wants to get to know the inner me first of all before we start da bedroom games ;)

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
DaveE said:
Way to go Dave.

Don't ya just love the occasional day when the ball goes where you want it to.

Too true Dave ... I've had some great rounds with my irons hot, but I've never stitched them that close consistently

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Too true Dave ... I've had some great rounds with my irons hot, but I've never stitched them that close consistently

In a coining a new expression tone (roll of the drums please).....

"I was stichtin' them that close all day I thought I was working in a a Pearly King sweat shop!"

Da da!!!!!
(I thank you!)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
As for mounting Doreen, she sez she wants to get to know the inner me first of all before we start da bedroom games ;)

Geeze Dave
In the previous post you were "pullin' the knickers off her". I know youse Southeners. All show for the public "we're getting to know eachothers' favorite poetry first", but once the bedroom is closed "yez are as durty as feck".

Please mount Doreen as you best see fit, but don't drive down the moral high ground as you do it.

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
In a coining a new expression tone (roll of the drums please).....

"I was stichtin' them that close all day I thought I was working in a a Pearly King sweat shop!"

Da da!!!!!
(I thank you!)

Apples and pears ... my old man's a dustman.....speakin of the pearly king ..any chance you know where I could score a pair of 'em for our next get together ??

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Geeze Dave
In the previous post you were "pullin' the knickers off her". I know youse Southeners. All show for the public "we're getting to know eachothers' favorite poetry first", but once the bedroom is closed "yez are as durty as feck".

Please mount Doreen as you best see fit, but don't drive down the moral high ground as you do it.

Lmao ... fackin poetry would be lost on you if yer attempt in the Honey Machine is anything to go by :D ..... where did you get those rhyming words from ...iambic pentameter and onomatopoeia were too liberally used within the core scansion ....up yer arse :biglol:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
onomatopoeia :biglol:

Is that the latest driver from TM?
SWWOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH! TTTHHHWWWAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!

AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
(or in KA's case....AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH, FFEEEEECCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!) :emot-ange

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Is that the latest driver from TM?
SWWOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH! TTTHHHWWWAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!

AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
(or in KA's case....AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH, FFEEEEECCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!) :emot-ange

LOL.... I think I'll leave Kilted to answer that for himself, tho he has started a thread re driver degrees ...grasping at straws methinks :D

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Pair o' Oirish B'stards.

Ye should both change your signatures to...

"They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now"

🔥 Latest posts