• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New clubs and appraisal on old clubs

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
so what would you guys recommend for the following:
  • driver
  • 3 and 5 woods
  • 2 and 3 hybrids
  • irons (4-SW)
  • putter
I'm hoping to keep it under $250 or $300 (with a bag)

Bag make-up is really important. I think too many people carry clubs they can't hit consistently.

You mentioned you hit your old driver about 150 - so based on that, your swingspeed probably isn't that high yet. Most slower swingspeed players struggle to hit 3 woods.

I would recommend a high lofted driver. At least 13* of loft, but you would probably be served well by something like a 16* driver as well if you can find one.
maybe something like this Callaway X460 Driver 15 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Then, for your second longest wood, I'd look for something in the 18* range. This loft should allow you to get maximum distance off the ground. perhaps a TM V-Steel? or a MacGregor?
Taylor Made V STEEL Fairway Wood 5 Wood 18 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com
MacGregor MACTEC NVG2 Fairway Wood 5 Wood 18 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

I looked around a bit for irons, but can't top Sling's $125 offer - sorry - if there's others you like, you may be able to find them - there's just too many out there for me to look through right now :) but get a good forgiving cavity back set

moving on.... I think a 2 hybrid and a 5 wood are pretty much the same thing - I would probably go 5 wood, but you can certainly do a hybrid instead of a 5 wood if you prefer hitting a more iron-like club - similar to irons, there's just so many out there, I can't really recommend anything - find whatever suits your eye - used hybrids should be around for $30-40 all over the place. The Nickents, Adams, Cobras, and Clevelands all come to mind

you can probably pick up a sandwedge too - I think everyone should have a cheap Wilson sandwedge - you don't have to keep it forever, but they're everywhere and they're cheap - I think they're like $30 new at like any store

I'm a bit over $250, but you'd have a bag full of quality clubs that you can play for a while - I think reaching out to Roberno will get you a discount code to Global Golf, but I haven't done it yet myself.

There are close-out golf bags there too

the putter, I'd recommend playing what you have, until you've had a chance to save up a bit more and then demo a bunch locally - the putter is a feel club and you really need to pick it out in person I think

good luck

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Bag make-up is really important. I think too many people carry clubs they can't hit consistently.

You mentioned you hit your old driver about 150 - so based on that, your swingspeed probably isn't that high yet. Most slower swingspeed players struggle to hit 3 woods.

I would recommend a high lofted driver. At least 13* of loft, but you would probably be served well by something like a 16* driver as well if you can find one.
maybe something like this Callaway X460 Driver 15 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Then, for your second longest wood, I'd look for something in the 18* range. This loft should allow you to get maximum distance off the ground. perhaps a TM V-Steel? or a MacGregor?
Taylor Made V STEEL Fairway Wood 5 Wood 18 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com
MacGregor MACTEC NVG2 Fairway Wood 5 Wood 18 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

I looked around a bit for irons, but can't top Sling's $125 offer - sorry - if there's others you like, you may be able to find them - there's just too many out there for me to look through right now :) but get a good forgiving cavity back set

moving on.... I think a 2 hybrid and a 5 wood are pretty much the same thing - I would probably go 5 wood, but you can certainly do a hybrid instead of a 5 wood if you prefer hitting a more iron-like club - similar to irons, there's just so many out there, I can't really recommend anything - find whatever suits your eye - used hybrids should be around for $30-40 all over the place. The Nickents, Adams, Cobras, and Clevelands all come to mind

you can probably pick up a sandwedge too - I think everyone should have a cheap Wilson sandwedge - you don't have to keep it forever, but they're everywhere and they're cheap - I think they're like $30 new at like any store

I'm a bit over $250, but you'd have a bag full of quality clubs that you can play for a while - I think reaching out to Roberno will get you a discount code to Global Golf, but I haven't done it yet myself.

the putter, I'd recommend playing what you have, until you've had a chance to save up a bit more and then demo a bunch locally - the putter is a feel club and you really need to pick it out in person I think

good luck

Absolutely spot-on advice here. Every word of it.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007

maybe something like this

good luck

okay, but I got 150 on my junior sized driver, but I got 200 easily with a full sized driver, does that make any difference?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
okay, but I got 150 on my junior sized driver, but I got 200 easily with a full sized driver, does that make any difference?

get your swingspeed checked - many proshops have launch monitors or other devices to check swingspeed - the 13* advice holds until you get to around 90mph assuming you have a level angle of attack - if you hit up on the ball, you might be able to get away with a bit lower loft, but MOST golfers play with drivers that have to little loft to maximize distance.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I did some more research, and what do you guys think of this selection of clubs. I'm hoping to get a good set that will grow with me as I get better, and I cumulated lots of recommendations from tons of other posts, and I got this:

Driver- Taylor Made R540XD 10.5* driver (graphite)
Woods- Wilson deep red 3(15*) and 5(18*) (graphite)
Hybrid- Nickent 3DX 17* 2 iron hybrid (graphite)
Irons- Tommy Armour 3-PW 845s Silver Scout (steel)
Wedge- Mizuno MP Lob Wedge 58* (steel)

how does it sound? I'm not sure about the 5 wood and the hybrid, because they hybrid has less loft than the 5 wood, and that seems kinda reverse. also, what is the loft on the PW in the Tommy Armour set? Would a different loft be better? All of that with a bag totals to a mere $300 from global golf, which for what the going rates are I think it is a really good deal.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
You can most certainly trust the folks here to buy clubs from, I have purchased several & to be honest the clubs have actually been better than described. And online purchasing is the only way to go, Global Golf is very reputable, I purchased my wifes set from them as well as my hybrids & a couple wedges.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I did some more research, and what do you guys think of this selection of clubs. I'm hoping to get a good set that will grow with me as I get better, and I cumulated lots of recommendations from tons of other posts, and I got this:

Driver- Taylor Made R540XD 10.5* driver (graphite)
Woods- Wilson deep red 3(15*) and 5(18*) (graphite)
Hybrid- Nickent 3DX 17* 2 iron hybrid (graphite)
Irons- Tommy Armour 3-PW 845s Silver Scout (steel)
Wedge- Mizuno MP Lob Wedge 58* (steel)

how does it sound? I'm not sure about the 5 wood and the hybrid, because they hybrid has less loft than the 5 wood, and that seems kinda reverse. also, what is the loft on the PW in the Tommy Armour set? Would a different loft be better? All of that with a bag totals to a mere $300 from global golf, which for what the going rates are I think it is a really good deal.

you'll likely get similar distances out of the driver and 3 wood, but with time, the driver could be a good stick for you. you may struggle to hit the 15* off the deck consistently with your swingspeed, but it could work.

I think you'll see similar distances out of the 5 wood and 2 hybrid - and I'm betting you'll have an easier time hitting the 5 wood - please let us know when you've had a chance to hit them

the irons are a pretty solid set I think - I've never had a set, but I've seen a ton of them on the course

The wedge is a pretty solid choice, but I'm not sure I'd buy a used forged wedge. Forged clubs are often made of soft metals that ding and mark up pretty easily - wedges get hit out of sand and all sorts of other lies that can chew clubs up pretty quickly - depending on the condition they have it rated, it's probably fine, but it will be tough to keep looking new or in really good condition

All in all, it's a pretty good bag though - please let us know how you hit them when you get them

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
talking to my dad, he wants to wait until the beginnig of the season... when prices go up.... so I'm probably gonna buy them all with some gift cards In a month or so, and then I'll have to wait for the driving ranges to open to actuall use them. But hopefully I'll be able to get them soon, my dad was talking about him getting a new set, and then I get his old ones (hello cast 10lb irons with grips that cut you)... If I'm stuck with them I'll probabl re grip them, but hopefully he will come around to the idea of getting me a set, and then getting him a set (I actually think he might need extra stiff shafts, might be why he always complaining about slicing the ball) I hope he decides to do that.

But if they are sold out of those clubs when I order, what would be a comperable club to what I have listed?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Appears right now as if the ball is 100% in your dad's court. And then you are mentioning buying a set, then you mention picking up individual clubs yet you haven't even hit any of them. Why not take your time, save your money & then in the spring demo a few clubs to see what feels good & what you can afford.

Although I am willing to bet you simply end up with your dad's old clubs.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
If you do go for a TM R540XD Driver, make sure it's a conforming model....

Otherwise it's a waste of time.

I think you'd be better off going:

Driver
4 wood
23 hybrid

5-PW
SW

This gives you a couple of small gaps but it's enough to get started with and get a feel for what you hit well and what you can't. A 4 wood will be easier to hit off the deck without making a big difference on distance. You can add and tinker with your set over the summer.

Here are some interesting options:

Driver - Callaway FT-3 (11 degree model)
Callaway Fusion FT-3 Neutral Driver 9 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

4 wood - Mizuno F50
Mizuno F-50 Fairway Wood 4 Wood 16.5 Degree Certified Preowned Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Irons - Mizuno MX15s
Mizuno MX 15 Iron Set 3-PW Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Hybrid - Cobra Baffler
Cobra BAFFLER UTILITY Hybrid/Utility 3 20 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Sand Wedge - Cleveland 588 Gun Metal
Cleveland 588 GUNMETAL Wedge Sand Wedge 54 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Now that's a set of forgiving, quality clubs from top to toe and not a bank buster either. This isn't meant to be a definitive list but just an example of how many options you have. Get out there and try, try, try and then try some more. Once you get some advice from a pro and a feel for different clubs you can make a better and happier decision.

🔥 Latest posts